Funny Datum System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny Datum System

Hi all. I have a funny datum system that I must use in a new program (please see att.). In pink is my preferred way to orientate the part to the machine. I say that its a funny system because 99 times out of a hundred my secondary datum (B) is my origin but it looks as though my tertiary datum will be my origin for this one. Can this work? How would YOU set up this datum?

TIA

F.
    Attached Files
    Recently jumped from 3.5 Mr 2 CAD
    to 2012 CAD++

Do you have GD&T callouts for this part? If so, you need to align using the datums in the order they are called out.

Comment

What goodluck said post your gdt you may need multiple datum alignments.
      sigpic
      3.7 MR4

Comment

What Goodluck Said.

This scheme certainly could be problematic. Especially if the print calls ABC (in that order). B as the Secondary could create serious conflict with C and D alignment.
        I would think that (functionally) the odds are the Datum Scheme should probably be C-D as Primary, A as Secondary, and B as Tertiary (at least that is how I would own the part).
        Bill Jarrells
        A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

WAS. It will all depend on how the FCF is built. What you show is not that odd, but it certainly could become strange if the FCF's are not used correctly. Post some of the FCF's and we may have a better idea how odd this really is...

Jan.
          PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
          Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Thanks for your input guys, but it looks as though our engineer is going to add mount holes on datum A (They were going to be net pierced post assembly). This I can handle )
            Recently jumped from 3.5 Mr 2 CAD
            to 2012 CAD++

Comment