[email protected] Good Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [email protected] Good Idea

As several of you know, I have TWO PC's at my desk. One is for Pcdmis and other applications and the other is for my Laser Scanner and Geomagic. Well, I had a bit of free time today, so I decided to REALLY cover my @ss. I copied my current working Pcdmis directory over to the other computer as well as the install download for that version. I exported my REG settings and put them on the other PC as well. I then moved my port lock and the controller cable to the other PC. I then installed the same version over the top of the working version on the 'new' PC. This registered the software and set up all the internal Windoze stuff. I then imported the reg settings and fired it up. I am currently in the process of testing (and checking) the new install.

I would recommend this to any and ALL of you out there as you never know WHEN your PC will take a serious dump and leave you so far beyond screwed that the light from screwed won't get to you for 20 years. Now, with this second install, if my PC dies, all I will need to do is get the nightly back-ups of all my programs from the IT department, move the port-lock and controller cable over and I am ready to ROCK AGAIN! It took me LESS THAN ONE HOUR to do it all (except for the testing) and I think it was an hour WELL SPENT!!!!
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

http://amytenderich.typepad.com/phot...ack_then_2.jpg
    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

We are all proud of you Matt.

Comment

Hey, how many of you have put in PANIC CALLS to either TECH support or one of these boards 'cause your PC took a dump and you ahd to try to get everything set back up? Well, thanks to a couple hours of time for prevention, that will not happen to me. And, I seriously doubt that any of you don't have a PC in your shop someplace that you can use for a couple hours to do this. An ounce of prevention is worth a he11 of a lot!
        sigpic
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Its a great idea Matt. We just don't have extra pc's laying around. I just store on the network, my only choice.
          sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

**** most of the shop don't have pc's and the ones that do are old 386 models...lol
            sigpic
            if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

Originally posted by T Miller View Post
              **** most of the shop don't have pc's and the ones that do are old 386 models...lol
              Hey, some day when one of the 'pc guys' are sick (or even one of the secretarys), have the IT guy bring it in. It doesn't matter how GOOD it is, as long as it will WORK. If nothing else, it will give you a 'working' backup that you can use to setup a new PC if yours fries. I mean, most of you probably have PC's somewhere in the shop, it doesn't amtter how fast or powerful, as long as it has a windoze that will allow Pcdmis to run, it would work. Heck, what with the CAD department and the engineering department here, we probably have 40 (or more) PC's in the shop.
              sigpic

Comment

And you can't figure out how to use this forum..........................
                <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

The other pc I have in this room is a 386 5 1/4 floppy No CD and No windows. The way it is now the boss of the pattern shop when he needs to print his email he comes and kicks me off my pc that runs the machine.. they told him a year ago they would get him his own..lol can you say CHEAP
                  sigpic
                  if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
                    And you can't figure out how to use this forum..........................
                    A POX on you! May your hard drive melt into a puddle of goo inside your case, may your probe head meet the table at an excessive rate of speed, may your finger get stuck inside your nose for all time!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                      A POX on you! May your hard drive melt into a puddle of goo inside your case, may your probe head meet the table at an excessive rate of speed, may your finger get stuck inside your nose for all time!

And so sadly yet another superhero hangs up his cape and pocket protector in dismay. It must have been all the disco in the 70's that did it. From that high tide point onward, America has turned it's back on those freakish champions they once loved so dearly. They have been debased on celluliod, cheapened by 2nd rate john-come-lately-flash-in-the-pan-short-lived merchandizing schemes, and worst of all just plain forgotten. With silent trails streaming down both cheeks IT Guy recalls forlornly the days when he could barely catch his breath between pleas for help. Now the smartie-pantses stick up for themselves and there is nothing left to be done but hobble off into the sunset. . .
                      sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

I think there is an easier way but I’m only 29 years old and the boss tells me I got a year before anyone will listen to me.

What I have done after my pc and all of the programs are working the way I want them I ghost the hard drive and that’s it. If my pc blows up or I am lucky enough to get an upgrade the only thing I have to do is apply the ghost image to the new computer DONE you can’t tell the difference like it never happened
                        "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought, which they seldom use." ~ Soren Kierkegaard

Comment

I just put in a new PC with a RAID 5 array, 3 hard drives and 465 gigs of hard drive space, 4 gigs of RAM, and a Nvidia FX1500 graphics card. Now if a hard drive dies, I can replace it with no loss of data. On top of this, I have my installed PCDMIS software copied onto a CD and each night everything is backed up to our LAN server.
                          I couldn't believe the project request for the new computer was approved. But they wanted some extra analysis software and I figured what the he!! might as well make a wish list. I love it here. If they would let me play computer games on the new computer it would be perfect.
                          When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Zastrow View Post
                            I think there is an easier way but I’m only 29 years old and the boss tells me I got a year before anyone will listen to me.
                            Boy - thats the truth

What I have done after my pc and all of the programs are working the way I want them I ghost the hard drive and that’s it. If my pc blows up or I am lucky enough to get an upgrade the only thing I have to do is apply the ghost image to the new computer DONE you can’t tell the difference like it never happened
                            till the new computer has different hardware than the ghosted one and it wont boot
                            Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                              all I will need to do is get the nightly back-ups of all my programs from the IT department, move the port-lock and controller cable over and I am ready to ROCK AGAIN! It took me LESS THAN ONE HOUR to do it all (except for the testing) and I think it was an hour WELL SPENT!!!!
                              Mat said IT department.
                              B. Jacobs
                              B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment