Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMM software

Good morning All,

My company has 3 CMM's, 2 are mitutoyos, which run off of Geo-Measure, and the third, is an RSS retro fit on a mitutoyo, runs off of Virtual Dmis. We are looking to buy software that will be capable of running all three machines. We also need to be able to run our older programs (Geo and Virtual) through this new software. Does any one know if PCDMIS will be able to handle this?

I believe PCDMIS can be retrofit to just about anything. As far as backwards compatability goes from what I've heard, its impossible with GEO and not worth your trouble at best with Virtual. I should also add that I ran a Zeiss/PCDMIS retro and it was an unhappy marriage.
    HTH
    sigpic 1.61803399Δ
    ASSIMILATE INTERGRATE SYNTHESIZE

Comment

• JacobCheverie
      JacobCheverie commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on Zeiss/PCDMIS, waiting on divorce papers.

Hexagon / B&S is probably capable of ANY retrofit or upgrade on ANY CMM.
    PCDMIS has its own "file language" so using old programs is most likely not possible.
    Hexagon MIGHT be able to convert old programs, but probably will cost you some dough.
    IF your old programs are converted, they might not be 100% correct and possibly might cause problems.
    PCDMIS itself does not like using its own programs from previous or later versions.....a bit of frustration about this can be found elsewhere on this forum.

BUT....you won't find a better program for checking parts....PCDMIS is the main player on the field !

HTH
    bob
    Which one gets ridden today? MPH vs MPG..tough choice, both are FUN
    sigpic

Starrett RGDC 4028-24 :alien:
    Demon vintages 3.7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 2009

Comment

I program offline for 2 B&S 2 DEA and one sheffield all have PC DMIS and all can run the same program
      Robert Horne
      Va.

Comment

Yeah, I kinda figured that is would be impossible to read in tyhose older programs. We jsut had a demo for CMM manager, the rep calimed that it would run our Geo Measure programs, but they did not get that far into their demo. I am going to try and push towards PC-DMIS, and anyone one tell me how well the offline progamming works?

Comment

Virtual DMIS is not worth saving, but as with geo measure they both speak DMIS, Pc-Dmis may import the DMIS code, and with a little proofing, will run the old programs.
          I have ALWAYS found that it is better to re-write the old programs, you will find many improvments in speed and efficiency by rewriting with Pc-Dmis. It is worth every minute to re-write. I know it sounds illogical, but in practical application it is much better.
          In my experience, CMM manager is in the same class as virtual dmis, don't get stuck with that one either.
          The offline programming works like a dream if you have a cad model, if you don't, it is slow but possible. My Offline desk is behind three doors and a hallway from the CMM lab, no problems!

G
          Last edited by Cumofo; 08-16-2007, 02:27 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TREVOR CLAFFEY View Post
            Yeah, I kinda figured that is would be impossible to read in tyhose older programs. We jsut had a demo for CMM manager, the rep calimed that it would run our Geo Measure programs, but they did not get that far into their demo. I am going to try and push towards PC-DMIS, and anyone one tell me how well the offline progamming works?
            Works great for me I use it all the time.
            Robert Horne
            Va.

Comment

Offline programming is as easy as putting cheese wiz on a cracker.

As a side note...

I run PC-DMIS on my BNS Chameleon 9-15-9 machine and I also run AVAIL (the precursor to MM3, MM4, and PC-DMIS). This is accomplished by utilizing an A/B switch To move from one version to another.

If your original software needs its' own controller, a retrofit will allow for multiple controllers and/or computers. Call for a sales rep...

1-800-343-7933
              sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Trevor.

Back in the old days (1995) before Pcdmis could do conditional statements, I would write the probe path in Pcdmis, export it as a DMIS file and import the DMIS file into Tutor to do the report. It can work both ways and since Virtual Dmis uses DMIS based code you should be able to import them into Pcdmis. I do not know if Geo Measure has DMIS out capability.

James is right about dual booting capability, I've done that also, and Cumofo is right about Virtual DMIS. Pcdmis beats it hands down
                v2010 CAD ++ Global Image 121510

Comment

Offline Programming

PC-Dmis is great for Offline programs.
                  I write programs for 3 DEA machines in an office on the other side of the plant from where these machines are located. I store all of the programs on our company server and each machine has access to these master programs.

It takes some practice and coordination with the inspection group to make sure communication about set-up is documented in an understandable way.

If you are programming from CAD models it is the way to go.
                  Lately, it occurs to me
                  What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

Sounds like we are trying to move towards your setup John. Where is Anderson Island? We are located up north in Arlington. Is there a PC-DMIS dealer in Wa.

Thank you all for your replies and opinions, they have been a great help

Thanks again

Comment

Thanks for the info guys,

John, sounds like our company is trying to head in your direction. Offline programming with PC-DMIS is the way to go. Where is Anderson Island? We are located up north here in Arlington. IS there a PC-DMIS dealer here in Washington?

Thanks again.

Comment

You can still have the old software on the old computer and go back and forth from pcdmis and the old soft ware.
                        sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

there is a software called Checkmate made by a company in Canada, it is supposed to be able to take any program that uses dmis language and post it out to different software. i.e. pc-dmis to geo-measure. Never tried it though
                          Kevin

Comment

Just be ready for the bugs
                            Vegetables are what food eats

Here be the cards I was dealt
                            B&S Xcel
                            PC-DMIS 2011 We are all just beta testers

Comment