Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another tp call out?

How would you dimension this one. POSITION.jpg

There has to be more. You need some BASIC Dimensions that describe the relationship between the two. Is there a note to use the Model for Unspecified Dims? Maybe they meant for you to do that?
    Bill Jarrells
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

2D span?
      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Do what we are doing and ask for clarification.
        <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
          There has to be more. You need some BASIC Dimensions that describe the relationship between the two. Is there a note to use the Model for Unspecified Dims? Maybe they meant for you to do that?
          No there are BASICs for x, y & z. Sorry thought that to be a given. My question is if they want the TP of -H- but no rotation. Then where should my rotation come from.

Comment

Originally posted by Tested View Post
            No there are BASICs for x, y & z. Sorry thought that to be a given. My question is if they want the TP of -H- but no rotation. Then where should my rotation come from.
            Probably just a 2D Direct Distance like James said.

I don't know your application but I get these from time to time when it really doesn't matter of the rotation is 'correct' as long as a mating module will mount to it.
            Last edited by Wingman; 08-14-2007, 01:22 PM.
            Bill Jarrells
            A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
              Do what we are doing and ask for clarification.
              Yeah that's where I'm headed. I just wanted to check see if I was having a brain fart before I went to the Engineer. YOU know I don't want him to point it out and get a big head. I have done it as a 2D and it looks like I'm making up numbers

Comment

Align the feature based on the basic dimensions(rotate to the angle), then do the TP.
                Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Yeah that's where I'm headed. I just wanted to check see if I was having a brain fart before I went to the Engineer. YOU know I don't want him to point it out and get a big head. I have done it as a 2D and it looks like I'm making up numbers
                  Well, even as a 2D you need a Nominal Distance.
                  Bill Jarrells

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                    Align the feature based on the basic dimensions(rotate to the angle), then do the TP.
                    won't that be |TP|Dia. 0.075|-K-|-F-|-H-| ?

Comment

won't that be |TP|Dia. 0.075|-K-|-F-|-H-| ?
                      In a sense, but it also takes the rotational error out of the measurement. How else would you check the basic dimensions? Using 2D distance requires you to "make up" a dimension.
                      Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                        In a sense, but it also takes the rotational error out of the measurement. How else would you check the basic dimensions? Using 2D distance requires you to "make up" a dimension.
                        Yep, the Basics simply define a POINT in space. Cartesian and Polar are two ways to say the same thing.
                        I would do it as CMMguy says here. Find the angle that the two basics create. Rotate to them. Rotate back the Basic Angle and report the two dimensions.

I misunderstood earlier and though you said there were NOT any Basic Dims.
                        Last edited by Wingman; 08-14-2007, 01:45 PM.
                        Bill Jarrells

Comment

That's what I'm thinking, and why I want them to give me more info.

Comment

Yep, the Basics simply define a POINT in space. Cartesian and Polar are two ways to say the same thing.
                            I would do it as CMMguy says here. Find the angle that the two basics create. Rotate to them. Rotate back the Basic Angle and report the two dimensions.

"Cartesian and Polar are two ways to say the same thing." ???? Not here it doesn't.

With a 2D think the rotation can float.
                            With a rotate the length can float.
                            They call it out with NO rotation. That why I'm thinking 2D.

Comment

That's what I read too (not what he wrote though). I do exactly what J says when I run into this. Sorry I'll have to read slower next time.
                              <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment