Running CMM as a CNC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running CMM as a CNC

Is it a common practice to run a CMM like it was a CNC machine? Machined fixtures located in exactly the same place for all parts measured? Untrained operators that are supposed to push a button to measure a part? I thought th CMM was asupposed to eliminated the need for all those expensive fixtures!
    Just needed to vent.

it largely depends on your parts and their needs.

I don't "fixture" anything here.
    I do use a tooling vise quite a bit.
    I do use 1-2-3 blocks on occasion.
    I do use a pair of 6-6-6 granite vee blocks a fair amount.
    I have only had one part that I had to clamp down...because it would not stand on its own...too much weight off to one side
    I do use hot-glue to keep parts from "moving" around.

HTH
    bob
    Which one gets ridden today? MPH vs MPG..tough choice, both are FUN
    sigpic

Starrett RGDC 4028-24 :alien:
    Demon vintages 3.7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by David Kick View Post
      Is it a common practice to run a CMM like it was a CNC machine? Machined fixtures located in exactly the same place for all parts measured? Untrained operators that are supposed to push a button to measure a part? I thought th CMM was asupposed to eliminated the need for all those expensive fixtures!
      Just needed to vent.
      If you have a CMM that is used for "in-process" measurement of a part you make day in and day out then yes, fixturing is the way to go.

If the parts are "one off" or low volume then no, fixturing does not have to constructed.

And no, the CMM does not eliminate the need for fixtures. It is up to the organization how they would likw to measure their parts.
      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

[ I thought th CMM was asupposed to eliminated the need for all those expensive fixtures!]

Expensive fixtures and other methods of easy set ups on a CMM eliminates the need for expensive people. My company has two programmers for CMM and a few CMM operators. We programmers make quite a bit more money than operators at my place of work. My fellow programmer and I make our In process set ups very easy for anyone to do and our programs have as little of operator intervention as possible. I think companies would rather spend the money on fixturing so they can pay as little as possible for the people running them.
        That's my 2 and a half cents
        sigpic

Comment

CNC or CMM?

Thanks again for the feed back. If it wasn't for this bulletin board, I would never hear from any programmers. I feel like I am marooned on a dessert island.

Comment

Mmmmmm,
            dessert!

http://www.haircareusa.com/images/de...ert_beauty.jpg
            sigpic

Comment

A 'generic' fixturing system goes a long way. We use RAYCO and have little need for other stuff (which we make in out tool shop as needed). Easy set up and tear down, very versatile, and yes - expensive.
              Bill Jarrells
              A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Sometimes I need to beg for fixtures for high volume parts. Good thing we don't have many of those, but I would not let any of the guys from the shop floor use the CMM.
                Pc-Dmis 4.2, Zeiss Eclipse
                sigpic

Comment

Also, depending on the part, it has to be checked in a restaint condition, it is stated on the GD&T Print. Example: Sheetmetal parts, long thin floppy plastic parts, and some assemblies.
                  sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

I am the only programmer and have shop floor machinists run their own parts. For the majority of our parts we use a Rayco plate and Rayco components. I do use magplates, machinists vise and on occasion have the tool room make a fixture for that hard to hold part we see now and then. We have few problems with machinists running parts as I try (with their input) to make is simple and easy.
                    Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
                    Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

I am the only programmer here. We have 4 machines on the shop floor dedicated to certain part numbers. We use dedicated fixturing as well. The machinist loads a part in the fixture, hits go and that is it.
                      <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Originally posted by David Kick View Post
                        Just needed to vent.

I used to tell people to push the pallet of parts under the plate & the machine would do the rest & then just watch their expression change when it did not happen. Always got a kick out of that.
                        sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

You can put a lacator on your cmm and create an external alignment for it. Then just take pictures of your set up so the guys never have to use any manual alignments. Everything will be DCC for every program. I basically have the same amount of fixturing as you and I never have theguys use manual alignments. Useing readpoints to help them align the part works great too.
                          Robert Horne
                          Va.

Comment