• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construct Plane

I've run into several part layouts now that go something like this:

Datum A callout for a surface feature.

Datum B callout for a hole.

Datum C callout for a slot.

Additionally, there are Datum A1 and Datum A2 callouts, usually a larger diameter datum target around the B and C datums. So really, these datum targets are the surfaces that should be used to construct the Datum A surface, even though all of the surrounding surface of the feature is on the same plane as the A1 and A2 datum.

Usually, I do an auto plane with a radial pattern at the diameter callout for these datum targets. What's the best way to utilize these two datum targets to create one A Datum for the alignment? I've been trying to construct a plane using some of the various methods, but I'm not really happy with the results. Usually, there is also a surface profile callout for each of the two datum targets. What would be the best way to construct a plane off of these two datum surfaces that I can use as the plane in an alignment?

Originally posted by gcunniff View Post
    I've run into several part layouts now that go something like this:

Datum A callout for a surface feature.

Datum B callout for a hole.

Datum C callout for a slot.

Additionally, there are Datum A1 and Datum A2 callouts, usually a larger diameter datum target around the B and C datums. So really, these datum targets are the surfaces that should be used to construct the Datum A surface, even though all of the surrounding surface of the feature is on the same plane as the A1 and A2 datum.

Usually, I do an auto plane with a radial pattern at the diameter callout for these datum targets. What's the best way to utilize these two datum targets to create one A Datum for the alignment? I've been trying to construct a plane using some of the various methods, but I'm not really happy with the results. Usually, there is also a surface profile callout for each of the two datum targets. What would be the best way to construct a plane off of these two datum surfaces that I can use as the plane in an alignment?
    Rather than autoplane I use a Vector Point then Paste with pattern in a circle to create a ring of points I can Construct as A1 and A2 etc. Tha way I can create the entire A plane with all the points and still have A1 and A2 if I need them.
    Bill Jarrells
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
      Rather than autoplane I use a Vector Point then Paste with pattern in a circle to create a ring of points I can Construct as A1 and A2 etc. Tha way I can create the entire A plane with all the points and still have A1 and A2 if I need them.
      I do the same When I have datum targets called out You can stay within the range of the targets. Is datum a what you level. why only 2 points?
      sigpic
      if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

Ok. Is there a quick way to calculate the nominals for vector points? That's the main reason I use the auto plane, so that I don't have to calculate the nominals for the hits. The way that you are doing this though, is exactly the way I would like to create the A datum for the alignment.

Comment

Datum A is what I am leveling to. I don't know why they don't call out an A3 datum target. Sometimes, the part or the datum surface is a bit small so that may be the reasoning behind it.

Comment

I use a lil program called machinist mate. Can give it how many and on what dia and angle the first target is.
            sigpic
            if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

Originally posted by gcunniff View Post
              Ok. Is there a quick way to calculate the nominals for vector points? That's the main reason I use the auto plane, so that I don't have to calculate the nominals for the hits. The way that you are doing this though, is exactly the way I would like to create the A datum for the alignment.
              Couple ways to do it and they both involve translating your Origin to the center of the target and creating a point at a specified R from there. Then do a pattern with your desired angle and repetition. Paste with Pattern. Recall original Alignment.

The 'couple ways' are just Translate BASIC DIMS for fixture locations or translate to the feature that the pad surrounds.
              Bill Jarrells
              A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Sweet! Thanks for the tips!

Comment

I run into this often, below is how I summarize all the points of datum plane targets taken in radial fashion as you describe.

PLN4 =FEAT/PLANE,RECT,TRIANGLE
                  THEO/8.467,25.4,0,0,0,1
                  ACTL/8.466,25.402,-0.007,0.0009189,-0.0000766,0.9999996
                  CONSTR/PLANE,BF,PLN1.HIT[1..12],PLN2.HIT[1..12],PLN3.HIT[1..12],,
                  OUTLIER_REMOVAL/OFF,3
                  FILTER/OFF,WAVELENGTH=0

Works well for me, HTH,

TK
                  sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment