Another STRANGE one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another STRANGE one

Is there an easy way to WATCH what is going on in PC DMIS3.73? I want to 'step' through line by line but I really hate the way PC DMIS utilizes step. Many commands are not steppable (which really sucks but that is another rant). I want to watch the flow as it jumps from line to line and pinpoint where the program is jumping track. STEP (CTRL E) is useless in that regard.

For a description of WHY it is jumping track please continue.

OK. I had a program to check the calibration of all stylus to each other. Worked great and life was good. This will be significant later

I also had a program that was migrated from 3.72 to 3.73 that 3.73 did not like. The backup file was 3.72 BUT my 2nd shift guy loaded it into 3.73 when the working copy had problems. Now it is also converted to 3.73.

So, I saved the copy back to a version 3.72 could read in an attempt to get a working version of the program. I seem to recall that the 3.7 option actually saves to 3.73 and will not work in 3.72 so I saved to 3.6. Well, doing so converted all probe files to 3.6. We noticed this when my 2nd shift guy tried to run a program yesterday. No problem, we converted all probes back to 3.73 as BOTH 3.72 AND 3.73 can use the probe files fine.

Now, everything seems to work EXCEPT the Cal Check Program. When it finds an out of tolerance condition it behaves improperly. It does not follow the code (which tells it to jusm to a label and calibrate all tips then jumpo back). Instead, it grabs the last probe combination and trys to calibrate the tips.

Sorry to bust your brains on Friday but tahnks in advance.
    Bill Jarrells
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Breakpoint. Right click in the left margin and select breakpoint or hit Ctrl + B where you want it. It will step at the breakpoint and after.

Oops Ctrl + B might be bookmark. Lemme check.............
    <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Thanks Craig. I will give this a try when I get back to that project. I have never used breakpoints. Have never found a need. You know, the help file doesn't really explain they can be used in such a manner.
      Bill Jarrells
      A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

The help file kind of blows these days on some things. I loved the 3.2 help where it was clickable snapshots of the application. Still clickable but not as interactive as the old one. Stuff kind of seems to be hiden in odd places too. Like the other day when J was trying to find SYSTEMDATE and SYSTEMTIME. 3.2 was right there, 3.7 was burried. I don't get it. But anyway a breakpoint will step through and highlight the code in red as it steps through it. You have to hit continue at each step to advance. I use it rarely but it sounds like just what you are looking for.

Comment

I got a problem. To save space i removed that Icon. Now I cannot get it back and I do not see any way to insert a breakpoint. CTRL B did nothing for me. In the edit menu Bookmarks and breakpoints is grey (not selectable).
          Is this an option I have to pay for?
          Bill Jarrells

Comment

That's odd. You are in command mode I assume?

Comment

DOH!
              I tried it in Summary. Works in command. Thanks.
              Bill Jarrells

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                I got a problem. To save space i removed that Icon. Now I cannot get it back and I do not see any way to insert a breakpoint. CTRL B did nothing for me. In the edit menu Bookmarks and breakpoints is grey (not selectable).
                Is this an option I have to pay for?

Do you have a dialog box open. It may grey out the option of there is a dialog box open. Try right clicking on the feature you want ot set the breakpoint on. It should also show up there.
                Saving the world, one bad part at a time.

Comment

I found it in 3.5 under the edit in menu options Right click your toolbar and customize then menu items/edit look for break point
                  sigpic
                  if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

All,
                    Thanks. I got it. I was in Summary Mode and not Command Mode. My bad.
                    Bill Jarrells

Comment

An update to the STRANGENESS.

Using Breakpoint allowed me to fix the problem. Thanks everyone. This is weird but this is what I found out.

The GOTO and Label Logic was working fine. However, for some reason when the goto command was encountered and control was passed to the desired section of code I had to insert ANOTHER command to load the correct probe assembly. Apparently, the program was looking to the lines before the label and seeing a different probe was in the machine and grabbing that probe.

LIke this:
                      Load 2x20
                      Check 2x20
                      if bad goto CAL 2x20

etc

Load 1x30
                      Check 1x30
                      If bad goto CAL 1x30

LABEL CAL 2x20

Well, when it went to CAL 2x20 it wanted to grab probe 1x30. It did not do this before and I have no idea why it is doing it now. But I inserted a LOAD 2x20 inside the CAL 2x20 section and problem solved.

Thanks again for the breakpoint tip.
                      Bill Jarrells

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                        An update to the STRANGENESS.

Using Breakpoint allowed me to fix the problem. Thanks everyone. This is weird but this is what I found out.

The GOTO and Label Logic was working fine. However, for some reason when the goto command was encountered and control was passed to the desired section of code I had to insert ANOTHER command to load the correct probe assembly. Apparently, the program was looking to the lines before the label and seeing a different probe was in the machine and grabbing that probe.

LIke this:
                        Load 2x20
                        Check 2x20
                        if bad goto CAL 2x20

etc

Load 1x30
                        Check 1x30
                        If bad goto CAL 1x30

LABEL CAL 2x20

Well, when it went to CAL 2x20 it wanted to grab probe 1x30. It did not do this before and I have no idea why it is doing it now. But I inserted a LOAD 2x20 inside the CAL 2x20 section and problem solved.

Thanks again for the breakpoint tip.
                        There is a check box in setup (F5) that is something along the lines of "Reset Global Commands when Branching". Here is the help file...

If you select the Reset global settings when branching check box, PC-DMIS will reset the global values for state commands (see the list of commands below.) after encountering a branching statement. (For information on branching, see the "Branching by Using Flow Control " section for information on branching). Any state commands jumped over, because of a branching statement, will not be executed. This allows you to skip over sections of the program without having these settings change.
                        For example, suppose your part program has the following:
                        TIP /T1A0B0
                        MYLABEL=LABEL/

Measurements etc...

TIP/T1A90B90
                        GOTO/MYLABEL

If you select the check box,
                        When PC-DMIS reads the GOTO statement, it jumps to MYLABEL. And then searches up, using the first encountered TIP/ command: TIP/T1A0B0
                        If you deselect this check box,
                        When PC-DMIS reads the GOTO statement, it jumps to MYLABEL. PC-DMIS won't reset global settings when encountering a branching statement. Instead, it uses the last executed TIP/ command: TIP/T1A90B90

Does this help?
                        sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

BTW, you can put a breakpoint in every possible place in your program by going to edit-breakpoints-insert defaults.

Comment

Thanks James. I will check on Monday if that is what it is. Heading out for the weekend now.

Thanks goodluck. It will come in handy!
                            Bill Jarrells

Comment