Vector of a Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vector of a Line

I've created a line between two circles to align the x-plus axis on (Dmis doesn't like aligning to a single circle so i find it best to create a line between the two). This works fine first time. I then move the part through 180 degrees for calibration check of the machine and the line's vector changes to go in the opposite direction (x-minus)!!

If I update the line with exactly the same circles in the same order as it already was, it will then change the vector of the line to how it should be!! I've tried recreating the circles, the lines and i've also used the values from the circles and put them into generic points, but nothing is working!!

Any ideas??

Ta

Make sure you select feature from xminus first to xplus second when creating line
    sigpic
    3.7 MR4

Comment

Originally posted by Porkchop View Post
      I've created a line between two circles to align the x-plus axis on (Dmis doesn't like aligning to a single circle so i find it best to create a line between the two). This works fine first time. I then move the part through 180 degrees for calibration check of the machine and the line's vector changes to go in the opposite direction (x-minus)!!

If I update the line with exactly the same circles in the same order as it already was, it will then change the vector of the line to how it should be!! I've tried recreating the circles, the lines and i've also used the values from the circles and put them into generic points, but nothing is working!!

Any ideas??

Ta
      DO NOT look at the ACTUAL vector for the line, since this is BEFORE the alignment, it will show MACHINE VALUE VECTORS, not alignment vectors.

If you start by measuring the LEFT then the RIGHT circle, then construct the line from the LEFT to the RIGHT, that will give you your X+ vector. Complete the alignment. Now, if you turn the part 180 degrees, re-measure it all, you will then be measuring the RIGHT then LEFT holes and it will give you an X- actual vector for the line and this is a machine vector, it will not be the aligned vector. Your alignment WILL make it X+ and your X+ will now go from right to left.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Be sure to repeat the manual alignment the same way every time. What kass said.
        sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

I just want to add that you don't have to construct the line.

If you select your two circles in the alignment window (left to right) and then rotate to x-plus it gets the idea and rotates to a line connecting the two.

Comment

That's what i'm doing. I'm measuring the first hole as it is the X Y origin and then measuring the second hole to create the line. The first time I run it the second hole becomes X plus because the direction of the line goes from hole 1 to hole 2, however when remeasure it after rotating through 180 degrees the second hole becomes X minus because it shows the vector going from hole 2 to hole 1 even though the line is constructed from 1 to 2!!

Comment

Originally posted by Porkchop View Post
              That's what i'm doing. I'm measuring the first hole as it is the X Y origin and then measuring the second hole to create the line. The first time I run it the second hole becomes X plus because the direction of the line goes from hole 1 to hole 2, however when remeasure it after rotating through 180 degrees the second hole becomes X minus because it shows the vector going from hole 2 to hole 1 even though the line is constructed from 1 to 2!!
              Post the code. What you are saying doesn't make sens.

Also, as Goodluck said, PC DMIS does like rotating to a circle. You just have to pick the two circles in the Alignment Window that you would create the line through.
              Bill Jarrells
              A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

It's working now. I rotated using 2 circles instead of one and that has done the trick.

Thanks y'all.

Comment