Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Least Square Dia Vs Max/Min Inscribed

I have never used anything but Least square for dia's
    How do you tolerance a dia using one of the other methods?
    The only place that I can find the option to change it is in a constructed circle.
    Also can someone explain each one and how it works.
    Help file useless in PCDMIS.
    Thanks in Advance.
    Time for the Trolls to leave.

Hi William,

Least squares is a best fit circle using the average of all the hits, for size and location, weighting all hits equaly.
    Max inscribed represents the three hits which would constrain the maximum sized pin that could be inserted.
    Min circumscribed represents the three hits which would constrain the minimum id of a sleave which would fit around the circle.
    Min/Max is a circle between the two previous examples
    Finally, a Fixed radius circle uses the average location of the hits to fit a circle of fixed size.

You should also be able to use these fits in the Auto Circle function.

Comment

Hello Eric,
      Is there a way to change the option in autocircle so that it defaults to Max inscribed instead of Least squares?
      sigpic

Comment

I'm not Eric, but I believe in Autocircle whichever option you select will stay until you change it. If I am wrong then it may be in one of the settings somewhere.

Actually pc-dmis help does have a great bit on the different algorythems. Try opening autocircle then press your F1 key. In the help window click on one of the algorythem choices and it should give you the defintion of each one. But Eric did an excellent summary. Also you must click the "advanced" button, (bottom left corner of the window) in Autocircle to see all the options, including the algorythems.
        sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post
          I'm not Eric, but I believe in Autocircle whichever option you select will stay until you change it. If I am wrong then it may be in one of the settings somewhere.
          I too think this is the case but... If you change it it will stay until one of the following happens:

1 you change it
          2 you shut down and re-start pc-dmis
          3 you F9 an autocircle that has it different and close out leaving it as something else
          4 several possible other unknown things happen which cause it to change back

You know how this software is, if you check to make sure it is the way you want it 9,999 times, the 10,000 time when you forget to check it, it will be different, you'll report the parts as bad and then eat crow in front of your boss and the customer.

Maybe there is something in the settings editor???

Comment

I don't have a autocircle, I only have a measured circle.
            It sounds like toe only to change it is with autofeatures.
            I rarely use them. It would be nice if a measured circle would let you make a choice of which way you want it to report.

Comment

Visual Rep of Circle Calculations

Here is a Visual.
              Last edited by inspector212; 10-17-2007, 10:34 AM.
              sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post

Actually pc-dmis help does have a great bit on the different algorythems. Try opening autocircle then press your F1 key. In the help window click on one of the algorythem choices and it should give you the defintion of each one. But Eric did an excellent summary. Also you must click the "advanced" button, (bottom left corner of the window) in Autocircle to see all the options, including the algorythems.

I am Eric, but not the same one. On the setting editor/auto features/algorithm will allow you to set the default.

0-least squares
                1-Minimum seperation
                2-max inscribed
                3-min circumscribed
                4-fixed raduis
                Saving the world, one bad part at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by William Johnson View Post
                  I don't have a autocircle, I only have a measured circle.
                  It sounds like toe only to change it is with autofeatures.
                  I rarely use them. It would be nice if a measured circle would let you make a choice of which way you want it to report.
                  Measured Circle DOES allow you to change the Algorythm. You have to edit the Circle Command (F9). You cannot change on the fly. In other words, you cannot measure one way and report another. You have to measure the circle in using the algorythm you want then it will report that way.
                  Bill Jarrells
                  A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Wingman
                    How do you change it before you measure the circle?

Comment

Wingman
                      I think he meant that the circle's measurement method needs to be defined in the feature. You can't choose which to report in the report command.

Comment

Wingman
                        You have to edit it (F9) and change it. In 'summary' mode with the command expanded you can double click on the settings and change it there too (if you use summary mode).
                        When you 'step' on the command (CTRL E) or run the program it will be in the algorythm selected.

I have not used it as default so I don't know if it stays the way you set it or not OR if there is a switch to set the default. I will check into it when I get a chance today.

When I use measure Circle the first thing I do is edit the nominals, hits etc. That is when I select the algorythm I want.
                        Bill Jarrells
                        A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                          I think he meant that the circle's measurement method needs to be defined in the feature. You can't choose which to report in the report command.
                          Right. Plus, there was some question as to whether or not you could use the diff algorythms with a measured circle or whether it worked ONLY with AutoMeasure. I wanted to clear that up and let the guy know it DOES work with Measured Circle too.
                          Bill Jarrells

Comment

use the drop down bottom left select one you want.
                            sigpic
                            3.7 MR4

Comment

Originally posted by kass_b View Post
                              use the drop down bottom left select one you want.
                              Right, but he is wanting to select it BEFORE he measures. Set it as default in the Measure Circle command.
                              Bill Jarrells

Comment