Confused PCDMIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused PCDMIS

Maybe its just me but there seems to be alot of negative responses to PCDMIS. My back ground was with Apogee (Metrolog) and QC5000. I quit my job to learn PCDMIS 2 years ago and I love it. Most of my issues have been operator error. I have convinced several local shops to purchase or retrofit there "junk" to PCDMIS. I have been able to use an offline seat to make universal programs for 6 different CMM's with minimal issues. Like I said early, I love this software.
    Robert Horne
    Va.

Originally posted by robehor4 View Post
    Maybe its just me but there seems to be alot of negative responses to PCDMIS. My back ground was with Apogee (Metrolog) and QC5000. I quit my job to learn PCDMIS 2 years ago and I love it. Most of my issues have been operator error. I have convinced several local shops to purchase or retrofit there "junk" to PCDMIS. I have been able to use an offline seat to make universal programs for 6 different CMM's with minimal issues. Like I said early, I love this software.
    Hey, I'm with you Bro. I loved LK DMIS (not so much some of the others I have run) and I had a stumbling curve with PC DMIS until I got deeper into it. I too have noticed that most of the crashes happen when something unconventional is done. Of course, there are some downright crashes but they are recoverable. Upgrading is bogus (newer versions don't really like older versions and vice versa).
    But, PC DMIS is a really GREAT Product all in all.
    Bill Jarrells
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

There are a lot of Pcdmis users who sound like my ex wives always bitchin about something. Thet just don't know how good they got when thet got it. Just need to learn how to get the best out of it. Just like fine wine,it takes time, but once you got the correct Recipe you got it made.
      sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

PC-DMIS, like other software and hardware components, works best when configured properly. For instance, don't install version 4.2 on the same computer that shipped with 3.5. You wouldn't install Windows Vista on that system, so keep the latest software on the latest hardware. ATI video cards are weak with OpenGL, so stay away from them. Dealing with large cad files, then crank up the RAM and spend some dough on the video card. Tweak the video card to disable vertical sync to get above 60 fps. There's also settings in PC-DMIS to autosave, turning the video acceleration on and off, how to calculate profile, the list goes on and on. Buy a cheap computer, and get cheap performance.

The software isn't perfect, but it blows away the competition when you use it as a complete package. Give it the right cpu specs, take some time to understand what was changed in previous versions and why, and if necessary, get a 1 day crash course on the new software. There may be new 'gadgets' you are not aware of that could make your job easier.

Stu

Comment

Yep ..... I like it to
          Started with QCT (Not bad).
          Went over to Chorus DEA (VMS) and Surfer (Very, Very Good)
          Now with PC-Dmis 3.5Mr2, V3.7 and 4.1 (Great), although I have to say I prefer 3.7 over 4.1
          sigpic

It goes "dink" so it must be workin'

Bollocks

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
            There are a lot of Pcdmis users who sound like my ex wives always bitchin about something. Thet just don't know how good they got when thet got it. Just need to learn how to get the best out of it. Just like fine wine,it takes time, but once you got the correct Recipe you got it made.
            I remarked similarily a while back and got the high hat from some members. Hmm, it must not be who you know.
            sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by robehor4 View Post
              I love it too..... Where is my HAT
              sigpicRegards,
              Donald Henger
              B&S Micro Excel Pfx
              3.5mr2 & 3.7mr3
              PHH10MQ, TP20 & TP2
              Country Rocks,But Bluegrass RULES!!!

Comment

The crashes are usually caused by a procedure. The key is to avoid the problem procedures and keep the programs as simple as possible. 3.5 caused headaches, while 3.7 mr3 seems to be good. 3.268 ran great while 3.6 was a little buggy. Thru all the different companies and versions, I have found that each version is like a woman......u can't treat them the same nor do they act the same. lmao

A.Gore
                sigpicA.Gore

Comment

Originally posted by ag162 View Post
                  The crashes are usually caused by a procedure. The key is to avoid the problem procedures and keep the programs as simple as possible. 3.5 caused headaches, while 3.7 mr3 seems to be good. 3.268 ran great while 3.6 was a little buggy. Thru all the different companies and versions, I have found that each version is like a woman......u can't treat them the same nor do they act the same. lmao

A.Gore
                  Yeah, like highlighting 'code' in V3.5, then hitting the DELETE key to delete it (CRASH!) unless you first hit CTRL-S twice.
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by AndersI
                  I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I think Pc-dmis is great. I got use to the bugs, and work around them. It seems to only crash when I delete a lot of code, so I save before deleting.
                    sigpic

Was
                    Pc-dmis 3.5 MR1 B & S 2009 MR1

Now
                    2010 MR3

Comment

Originally posted by STANLEY View Post
                      I think Pc-dmis is great. I got use to the bugs, and work around them. It seems to only crash when I delete a lot of code, so I save before deleting.
                      I think its great !!!! where is my HAT & PIN

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...henger/hat.jpg
                      sigpicRegards,
                      Donald Henger
                      B&S Micro Excel Pfx
                      3.5mr2 & 3.7mr3
                      PHH10MQ, TP20 & TP2

Comment

I only got a pen! You get a hat for saying something nice?????? OK, I like how you can always use TASK MANAGER to stop ALL PCDLRN.EXE processes. Very nice...

Jan.
                        PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
                        Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan d. View Post
                          I only got a pen! You get a hat for saying something nice?????? OK, I like how you can always use TASK MANAGER to stop ALL PCDLRN.EXE processes. Very nice...

Jan.
                          Yes we got a hat for the three day corse ($900.00 a person)
                          sigpicRegards,
                          Donald Henger
                          B&S Micro Excel Pfx
                          3.5mr2 & 3.7mr3
                          PHH10MQ, TP20 & TP2

Comment

Yup, I remember the 3.5 bugs,,,,,found out the hard way...........

A.Gore
                            sigpicA.Gore

Comment

Originally posted by ag162 View Post
                              Yup, I remember the 3.5 bugs,,,,,found out the hard way...........

A.Gore

I got the Latest version Hat when we spent $200,000. To get it to work correctly I had to do some minor adjustments to it. I do not know if it was a Wilcox bug or just plain old operator error. But I had to beg the salesman for it
                              sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment