Difference between automotive & aerospace??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between automotive & aerospace??

Is there a huge difference in Automotive & Aerospace prints? This is probably not a very good question due to the fact aerospace companies probably have different styles as do different automotive companies. Anyway.....if anybody has an obsolete (Toughest you can find!) aerospace print i would love to see one. I am not asking for proprietary information just curious.......never seen or worked with aerospace.....

A print is a print is a print.
    In my experience most aerospace prints are drawn iaw ANSI Y14.5.
    Fairly straight forward. BUT, there are variations from company to company. Some parts are drawn as "Standards". These are multiple page specifications for parts that can be bought from more than one supplier. They are similar (sometimes are) to Mil spec drawings. Then you get into "source control" drawings. We have numerous customer drawings that show us an area our part must fit into and the only design requirements are the interface dimensions and how much pressure and heat it must be able to hold.
    Search for things like AS1895, MS21046, NAS1200, etc. These are all available at the library.
    Some of my favorite specs are from a large aircraft manufacturer. There are blank pages with the words.
    This page intentionally left blank.
    When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by John Kingston View Post
      Some of my favorite specs are from a large aircraft manufacturer. There are blank pages with the words.
      Too funny... I've noticed that also...
      sigpic
      Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
      PCDMIS 2012
      Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by rangerboat72 View Post
        Too funny... I've noticed that also...
        THis is a standard practice for Military. Goes way back. Not just on prints but documents of all sort.
        Bill Jarrells
        A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

I worked in both. It seems to me that both are proclaiming to follow standards, most of them ANSI/ASME Y14.5.

I found that automotive takes much more liberty though than aerospace. Many of the automotive compnaies (or big suppliers to) seem to have the urge to "go beyond" Y14.5 for whatever reasons they have. I find that to be less the case in aerospace. However, we have these reams of other specs we call out on prints and yes, they have these funny white spaces. But I find that in aerospace there is less tendency to want to "go beyond" what Y14.5 tries to standardize.

Jan.
          PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
          Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment