PC-Dmis vs. OpenDmis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-Dmis vs. OpenDmis

Just found out that another company in our corporation uses OpenDmis(I'm not sure which version), I've been asked to help setup a system in which we share programs between companies for part inspections at different locations. I know nothing about OpenDmis, but I need to find if it will work with PC-Dmis or not.

After a web search it seems that OpenDmis is a streamlined, more user-friendly version of PC-Dmis, but I really don't know what it's like.

Anyone know anything about OpenDmis? How does it compare to PC-Dmis? Are PC-Dmis programs compatable with OpenDmis?

Any info will help here...Thanks...

Aaron Fenner
    Quality Engineer
    PC-Dmis v4.3
    B & S Global Status 7.7.7
    6 years xp 32-bit

sigpic

Open demis is differnt software, Saw it once on interview tootally differnt as far as I know you will need same software on all machines. I would also request same release.
    sigpic
    3.7 MR4

Comment

Pc-Dmis Vs Open DMIS

Open Dmis is a real sore spot. The creator of it and his partner are not very pleasant sometimes. There is a thread about this similar subject from a couple of months ago. http://www.pcdmisforum.com/showthrea...ight=open+dmis
      Basically:
      Pc-dmis can write to export in the Dmis language.
      Open Dmis depending on version read it in. Then in notepad you can edit the particulars to get open dmis to run.
      Its a long story, excuse me for being less than detailed but basically:
      The DMIS language is roughly followed by a few softwares, Pc-DMIS is a GUI therefore it does not follow DMIS, but its output is more true DMIS than anyone else's main program creation can provide. The DMIS language is available for a fee, but really nobody is more current than Pc-Dmis is in it, so most softwares can't run it.

Just wait till the open DMIS guy reads this thread!!!!

G
      sigpic

Comment

Open DMIS is a created by a group of people, most of them in China. The leader of that gang also created CMIS (remember anyone????) and Virtual DMIS. He had an exclusive sales agrement with Xpect Solutions, which is now owned by Wentzel. They are the only ones allowed to sell his software in the US.

Open DMIS is rumored to be really DMIS compatible (supposedly rivaling LK DMIS and Silma (the old version)). So have them save their programs in standard DMIS and so do you. You ought to be all set.

HOWEVER: I think that IF your company is out for the cheapest solution, then it will be far better to upgrade the OpenDMIS guys to PC-DMIS. Because PC-DMIS has all these great aditional features (which do NOT come through clean when translating to standard DMIS), you can write much more user friendly and complex programs. We love to hate the demons, but if you are after a cheap solution, upgrading your brethren is the only path. The rest will be eternal mayhem and ultimate headaches. Trust me.

Jan.
        Last edited by Jan d.; 08-03-2007, 12:12 PM.
        PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
        Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Thanks guys. This info helps out a lot.

The other company is already researching upgrading their software and/or buying a new CMM, but the decisions makers are still open to making the old stuff work. Now I can report that it is probably not worth the hassle and recommend the upgrade to PC-DMIS. I think this is what they want to do anyway, but they must research all options.

Aaron Fenner
          Quality Engineer
          PC-Dmis v4.3
          B & S Global Status 7.7.7
          6 years xp 32-bit

sigpic

Comment