Probe Depth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probe Depth

I set the Probe depth at the beginning of the program I'm writing, but I can't find it now, and I note that I'd like to have the probe NOT enter the hole as deeply as it is, for the 500 holes in my plate that I have.

Where do I look to find the probe depth setting?

Where should the probe depth be, in the program, to do the same on all the holes?

How do I reset the probe depth as the default for this particular program, (all holes?)

-Soupy1957
    sigpic"I used to know what I was doing, but that was before I forgot!"

-Soupy1957
    PC-DMIS 4.2/4.3MR 1
    Tutor

Originally posted by soupy1957 View Post
    I set the Probe depth at the beginning of the program I'm writing, but I can't find it now, and I note that I'd like to have the probe NOT enter the hole as deeply as it is, for the 500 holes in my plate that I have.

Where do I look to find the probe depth setting?

Where should the probe depth be, in the program, to do the same on all the holes?

How do I reset the probe depth as the default for this particular program, (all holes?)

-Soupy1957
    I'm not sure what you mean but...

Do you know part of the probe depth command? You can do an edit-find and search for text. That might lead you to where the command is located.

Comment

Are you talking about move points, are you measuring auto circles, not sure what you mean ???
      sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

I've got a plate that is .125 thick

The holes in the plate need to be measured for X,Y and Ø

I don't want the probe to go too deep in the holes

The probe I'm using, has a 2mm Stylus

How do I set the amount that the stylus goes into the hole on Z-?

-Soupy1957

-Soupy1957
        PC-DMIS 4.2/4.3MR 1
        Tutor

Comment

Are you doing auto circles or manually taking the hits. If your using auto circles you can set your depth with sample hits & depth if they are manual then set your z orgin to the depth
          sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

The depth should be set by you for each feature. You can use a variable if you want each feature to be the same and you think it is something you might need to tweek. Be mindful of alignments though.
            Last edited by craiger_ny; 08-01-2007, 05:19 PM.
            <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Also, are you using findhole? If so maybe you are talking about how far into the hole it searches. In that case, the search distance in the F10 menu - motion tab is what does it.

Comment

I've got a plate that is .125 thick

The holes in the plate need to be measured for X,Y and Ø

I don't want the probe to go too deep in the holes

The probe I'm using, has a 2mm Stylus

How do I set the amount that the stylus goes into the hole on Z-?

-Soupy1957
                AUTO
                Probe Depth is set in the Auto Measure Command

Measure Mode
                Probe depth is set by the location of the points you take.
                Bill Jarrells
                A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

I did not use "Auto Circle" (Purple Icon) for locating the holes. The holes were identified by mouse clicks on the CAD Model first, then I ran the program.

I'd like to decrease the depth that it defaults to taking for all holes. the "F10" menu settings for "depth" only pertain to holes measured by "Auto Circle" (the Purple Icon) correct?

-Soupy1957

-Soupy1957
                  PC-DMIS 4.2/4.3MR 1
                  Tutor

Comment

I did not use "Auto Circle" (Purple Icon) for locating the holes. The holes were identified by mouse clicks on the CAD Model first, then I ran the program.

I'd like to decrease the depth that it defaults to taking for all holes. the "F10" menu settings for "depth" only pertain to holes measured by "Auto Circle" (the Purple Icon) correct?

-Soupy1957
                    Somebody correct me if I am wrong but PC DMIS invokes Auto Circle when you pick from CAD, right? It has been a while since I grabbed a circle in CAD.

I think if the circles are already writtin you will need to modify them individually. Do an F9 on the measure command and it will either be Auto or Regular Meas. Either way you can fix it there. If there is a global, retroactive fix??
                    Bill Jarrells
                    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                      Somebody correct me if I am wrong but PC DMIS invokes Auto Circle when you pick from CAD, right? It has been a while since I grabbed a circle in CAD.

I think if the circles are already writtin you will need to modify them individually. Do an F9 on the measure command and it will either be Auto or Regular Meas. Either way you can fix it there. If there is a global, retroactive fix??
                      If you hit the program mode icon and take hits with mouse clicks it is not in auto circle mode it is in learn mode. I am not sure if this is what you meant by the above stated. Really not grabing the circle but measuring from cad. Soupy -IF the circ was measured in learn or teach mode look at the code and change the z Can be done in theo or by the actual hits.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ok, I'm going to ask why you want to change the depth.

Why do you want to change the depth?

Changing the depth on 500 holes one at a time (if it turns out that is what you will have to do) is going to be a very long, annoying job.

Will the hits fall in the correct place on the holes? Is the problem that the probe will stick out past bottom of the hole and 'crash' into whatever is underneath?

If that is the problem, can you just elevate the part somehow so that it is open underneath the part?

Comment

Originally posted by AJHVW93 View Post
                          If you hit the program mode icon and take hits with mouse clicks it is not in auto circle mode it is in learn mode. I am not sure if this is what you meant by the above stated. Really not grabing the circle but measuring from cad. Soupy -IF the circ was measured in learn or teach mode look at the code and change the z Can be done in theo or by the actual hits.
                          Right, in hits mode. But can't you grab the circle as a feature and leave hit mode out of it?
                          Bill Jarrells

Comment

All 500 holes are "thru" and the plate thickness is constant, (.l25) therefore, I'd be more than happy to do a "blanket" depth, if possible.

the probe tends to default to a little lower than I feel comfortable with.

I'll take a look at the suggested locations in F10 and see if that helps...thanks.

On to the NEXT issue....lol. (I start prepping the report settings tomorrow).

-Soupy1957

-Soupy1957
                            PC-DMIS 4.2/4.3MR 1
                            Tutor

Comment

All 500 holes are "thru" and the plate thickness is constant, (.l25) therefore, I'd be more than happy to do a "blanket" depth, if possible.

the probe tends to default to a little lower than I feel comfortable with.

I'll take a look at the suggested locations in F10 and see if that helps...thanks.

On to the NEXT issue....lol. (I start prepping the report settings tomorrow).

-Soupy1957
                              Can you post some code with reference to the circle(s) you want to change? One or two would be fine.
                              sigpic

James Mannes

Comment