• Alignment on Cylinder Part

How would you do an manual alignment on a cylinder part? Thanks

Kenn Rhodes
    PC-DMIS 3.5 R2

Originally posted by cumminsdesiel View Post
    How would you do an manual alignment on a cylinder part? Thanks

Kenn Rhodes
    PC-DMIS 3.5 R2
    More detail please , how is the part sitting what are the datums on the print?
    sigpic

Comment

You could measure 3 seperate diameters and construct a cylinder & thern level that cylinder. Make sure your in the right working plane z+,x+,y+..ect
      sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Here is a picture

Here is a picture of the part and its on the CMM with the flange up as seen in the picture.
        Kenn
        Attached Files

Comment

For a manual alignment assuming that the cylinder is oriented such that its axis points ±z...

I'd take one hit on the top as close to the center as possible. I'd then make this point the x,y,z orgin.

Then, I'd go dcc and measure another point for Z orgin and then measure the cylinder as a cylinder. Level the cylinder to z-plus or z-minus set it as the x,y orgin and the point as the z orgin. Then I'd do that all over again.

I hate taking more manual hits than I have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
            For a manual alignment assuming that the cylinder is oriented such that its axis points ±z...

I'd take one hit on the top as close to the center as possible. I'd then make this point the x,y,z orgin.

Then, I'd go dcc and measure another point for Z orgin and then measure the cylinder as a cylinder. Level the cylinder to z-plus or z-minus set it as the x,y orgin and the point as the z orgin. Then I'd do that all over again.

I hate taking more manual hits than I have to.

You got that right. Readpoint at top in center of cylinder, set as xyz orgin & go straight into dcc

Comment

Originally posted by bw_bob View Post
              You got that right. Readpoint at top in center of cylinder, set as xyz orgin & go straight into dcc
              I love the "readpoint" function. I'd just like to add that you may want to insert a comment to tell the operator to place it in the center near the top or whatever (pause) before the readpoint just to keep it from zero-ing before you want it to.
              sigpic
              Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
              PCDMIS 2012
              Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by rangerboat72 View Post
                I love the "readpoint" function. I'd just like to add that you may want to insert a comment to tell the operator to place it in the center near the top or whatever (pause) before the readpoint just to keep it from zero-ing before you want it to.
                Been using readpoints for years & I still forget to add that darn comment line on where you need to stick the probe...

Comment

Originally posted by rangerboat72 View Post
                  That is why I prefer the manual hit over a readpoint. If I say "position the probe over the top center of the part and close to the part" I have no doubt that it will be positioned 1" above the part at some point.

Readpoints are very useful for an initial clearplane type move if you don't want to actually use a clearplane.

Comment

Been using readpoints for years & I still forget to add that darn comment line on where you need to stick the probe...
                    I have a 'template' program that has all that beginning kind of stuff in there. When I need to write a new program, I open the template program, do a save-as and run from there. The template is also marked as read-only so I don't accidentally forget the save-as part.

Comment

I still forget where you need to stick the probe...
                      Your wife and / or girlfriends probably have a problem with that!
                      When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                        That is why I prefer the manual hit over a readpoint. If I say "position the probe over the top center of the part and close to the part" I have no doubt that it will be positioned 1" above the part at some point.

Readpoints are very useful for an initial clearplane type move if you don't want to actually use a clearplane.
                        I just start the program with a VERY LARGE PREHIT & RETRACT for the first couple of measurements, translate to them and then tighten up the prhit & retract for the remaining measurements including a good alignment.
                        sigpic
                        Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
                        PCDMIS 2012
                        Windows Office XP

Comment