Tolerance actual feature or cast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tolerance actual feature or cast

Tolerancing a feature for true position and I'd like to know which is the better method to use. I use 2 studs in the alignment and have toleranced a cast diameter for one of the studs. Is it better tolerance the actual feature after the alignment or tolerance a cast diameter of that stud?

Other software that I have used you would have to recall that feature but I have seen that I do not have to do that in PC-DMIS. You get the same results but am wondering if it'll bite me in butt later.
    Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
    Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Why are you creating a cast dia for the studs? I would use the actual.
    sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

Originally posted by dwade View Post
      Tolerancing a feature for true position and I'd like to know which is the better method to use. I use 2 studs in the alignment and have toleranced a cast diameter for one of the studs. Is it better tolerance the actual feature after the alignment or tolerance a cast diameter of that stud?

Other software that I have used you would have to recall that feature but I have seen that I do not have to do that in PC-DMIS. You get the same results but am wondering if it'll bite me in butt later.
      If I understand your question correctly...You are asking if you can dimension a feature that you measured as part of an alignment.
      Short answer is yes.
      If that feature was measured manually, it is best to measure it again as a DCC feature and then dimension it. Manual measurements are not as accurate as DCC measured features.
      Lately, it occurs to me
      What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

As long as your not using the new alignment for a perfect approach vector on your studs it shouldnt matter where you call out the diameter.....

Comment

Studs are measured as part of the initial alignment all being perp to the initial planar alignment. Like I said in the 1st post, some of the other software that I have used you had to recall that feature to tolerance it after making your part alignment.

Thanks for the info.

Duane
          Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
          Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment