Calibration Issues

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Calibration Issues

    I have about 6 or 7 different probe angles that I use for different programs. One was always default (A0B0), and the others were created recently to check a part sitting upright. I have no problems calibrating the other, newly created tips, but the A0B0 angle--for some strange reason--doesn't want to be calibrated.
    When asked "has the calibration probe been moved", I say no, and the tip goes down too far and the hits are taken at the stem. When asked "has the calibration probe been moved", I say yes, I have to take the first hit and the CMM will take it from there: It errors out trying to move around the probe, no matter where I take the hit--top, front, left, or right. Does anyone know what the problem may be and how I can fix this problem?
    I feel a lot better now that I've lost my mind.


    Global Activ
    PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

  • #2
    I would try and redo the tool.. build a new tool cal sphere
    sigpic
    if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by T Miller View Post
      I would try and redo the tool.. build a new tool cal sphere
      I agree.
      With only 6 or 7 angles I would start from scratch. All 'fixes' have problems of their own associated with them.
      Bill Jarrells
      A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

      Comment


      • #4
        Also agree make sure you select right sizes!
        sigpic
        3.7 MR4

        Comment


        • #5
          I too would try deleting the probe file and creating it new.

          FYI - Some here (specifically me) believe you should ALWAYS calibrate A0B0 along with any other angles you need even if you don't plan to use A0B0 in your program. The reasons?

          1) A0B0 is the angle that is used to relate one probe build to another probe build (in the instance of a probe with changeable modules i.e. TP20).

          2) I believe A0B0 is also used to relate one angle of a particular probe to another angle of that probe. So, for instance, A90B0 is related to A0B0 and A90B90 is related to A0B0 so therefore, A90B0 can be related to A90B90 through A0B0. Does that make sense?

          3) Lets say you calibrate A0B0 and A90B0 answering yes the sphere has moved. Now, you calibrate just A90B90 answering yes the sphere has moved. Are these necessarily related? Does PC-DMIS know where they are in relation to each other? Probably not.

          I used to have problems similar to yours when I would pick and choose and calibrate angles without calibrating A0B0 too. Since I started always calibrating A0B0 along with any other angles, I have not had a single problem except for when a probe file got corrupted. In that instance it was totally screwed and I had to restore from a backup.

          Comment


          • #6
            So how do I recreate probe files? when I got to the CMM, the files were already created and no one taught me how to create them(amongst other things). What information do I need for the new files?
            I feel a lot better now that I've lost my mind.


            Global Activ
            PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

            Comment


            • #7
              Take a look at how they are built now. You will need to knonw the length - tip size and what connections you have. Most should be in the drop down window
              sigpic
              if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                I too would try deleting the probe file and creating it new.

                FYI - Some here (specifically me) believe you should ALWAYS calibrate A0B0 along with any other angles you need even if you don't plan to use A0B0 in your program. The reasons?

                1) A0B0 is the angle that is used to relate one probe build to another probe build (in the instance of a probe with changeable modules i.e. TP20).

                2) I believe A0B0 is also used to relate one angle of a particular probe to another angle of that probe. So, for instance, A90B0 is related to A0B0 and A90B90 is related to A0B0 so therefore, A90B0 can be related to A90B90 through A0B0. Does that make sense?

                3) Lets say you calibrate A0B0 and A90B0 answering yes the sphere has moved. Now, you calibrate just A90B90 answering yes the sphere has moved. Are these necessarily related? Does PC-DMIS know where they are in relation to each other? Probably not.

                I used to have problems similar to yours when I would pick and choose and calibrate angles without calibrating A0B0 too. Since I started always calibrating A0B0 along with any other angles, I have not had a single problem except for when a probe file got corrupted. In that instance it was totally screwed and I had to restore from a backup.
                Good Advice.

                We absolutely NEVER, EVER do a Move Sphere on any tip other than A0B0.
                Bill Jarrells
                A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by operator1 View Post
                  So how do I recreate probe files? when I got to the CMM, the files were already created and no one taught me how to create them(amongst other things). What information do I need for the new files?
                  Ouch. It's not that this is difficult. It is just difficult to explain in text format exactly how to do this.

                  Does anybody have an instruction sheet for this?
                  Bill Jarrells
                  A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by operator1 View Post
                    So how do I recreate probe files? when I got to the CMM, the files were already created and no one taught me how to create them(amongst other things). What information do I need for the new files?
                    Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                    Ouch. It's not that this is difficult. It is just difficult to explain in text format exactly how to do this.

                    Does anybody have an instruction sheet for this?
                    Yes, after reading Operator1's post, I started thinking it might be easier to straighten out his current probe than to explain how to create a new one.

                    We can walk you through it but if someone has something already put together that would be easiest.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't know about the ealier version but 4.2 has a real good "Help" menue on this subject.
                      sigpic

                      James Mannes

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
                        I don't know about the earlier version but 4.2 has a real good "Help" menue on this subject.

                        Good idea James. Try looking there and if it doesn't answer your questions or generates more, let us know.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If anyone can walk me through the process, that would be great. I learned the other stuff about the CMM in practically no time, so I guess I should be able to create new probe files easily.
                          I feel a lot better now that I've lost my mind.


                          Global Activ
                          PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Maybe I'm not looking for the right thing, but I couldn't find the help tips for creating a new file. BTW, I'm using version 3.5, if anyone who can help me needs to know that.
                            I feel a lot better now that I've lost my mind.


                            Global Activ
                            PCDMIS CAD ++3.5 MR2

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Ok, I'll try to walk you through it. See my next post.

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X