Callouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Callouts

Has anyone seen where when you run a part a couple of times it seems the callouts/report features do not update.

Example: Ran a part and got .0003 out of tolerance on the parallel, ran it
    again and got .0003 again which is odd. Then placed my cursor on
    the feature and hit F9 the parallel was between pln1 and pln2 so
    what I did was deleted pln2 and hit create well now I have parallel
    of .0000, So Ii hit F9 again added pln2 again hit create now the
    parallel is .0002 off of nominal. When I hit create again shouldn't it
    show out as it did originaly.... Any help please
    sigpic

Originally posted by AuRules View Post
    Has anyone seen where when you run a part a couple of times it seems the callouts/report features do not update.

Example: Ran a part and got .0003 out of tolerance on the parallel, ran it
    again and got .0003 again which is odd. Then placed my cursor on
    the feature and hit F9 the parallel was between pln1 and pln2 so
    what I did was deleted pln2 and hit create well now I have parallel
    of .0000, So Ii hit F9 again added pln2 again hit create now the
    parallel is .0002 off of nominal. When I hit create again shouldn't it
    show out as it did originaly.... Any help please
    If I understand correctly...

You dimensioned the parallelism between pln1 and pln2, ran the program and got .0003.

Then you put your cursor in the dimension and hit F9. You removed pln2 from the dimension and clicked "create". Now the dimension shows .0000 as expected because you are comparing pln1 to nothing.

You then put your cursor in the dimension and hit F9. You added pln2 back and clicked "create". Now the dimension shows .0002.

Your question is why did it show .0003 and now show .0002?

My first guess is that your order of the planes was reversed between the first try and the last try. ie. pln1 selected first and pln2 selected second in the first instance, pln2 selected first and pln1 selected second in the second instance.

Remember, the order of selection does matter for some dimensions. Feature first, datum second.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
      If I understand correctly...

You dimensioned the parallelism between pln1 and pln2, ran the program and got .0003.

Then you put your cursor in the dimension and hit F9. You removed pln2 from the dimension and clicked "create". Now the dimension shows .0000 as expected because you are comparing pln1 to nothing.

You then put your cursor in the dimension and hit F9. You added pln2 back and clicked "create". Now the dimension shows .0002.

Your question is why did it show .0003 and now show .0002?

My first guess is that your order of the planes was reversed between the first try and the last try. ie. pln1 selected first and pln2 selected second in the first instance, pln2 selected first and pln1 selected second in the second instance.

Remember, the order of selection does matter for some dimensions. Feature first, datum second.

Goodluck the first dimension was .0003 (.002 max) out of tolerance and the second dim was .0002 off nominal. Picking them in reverse order does it have that much effect and what is the rule of thumb. You said the second feature datum- does that mean it has to used in the alignment or is it just saying the second feature is was you compare to.
      sigpic

Comment

The 2nd feature you pick is your datum, so yes it makes a difference.
        sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Originally posted by AuRules View Post
          Goodluck the first dimension was .0003 (.002 max) out of tolerance and the second dim was .0002 off nominal. Picking them in reverse order does it have that much effect and what is the rule of thumb. You said the second feature datum- does that mean it has to used in the alignment or is it just saying the second feature is was you compare to.
          Selection order will make a difference. For a part to meet a parallelism callout of .002, every point on that surface must fall between two parallel planes .002 apart. Those two parallel planes are also parallel to the datum plane. The selection order determines which one is used as the datum. Parallelism is independent of alignment. See my picture below.

Your measurements will also be dependent on how much of the surface you measure.

A few notes about the picture.
          The distance between the blue lines represents your tol. zone (.002 from line to line).
          The blue lines are parallel to each other and parallel to the datum plane.
          The blue lines are the same 'length' as the datum plane.
          I didn't do the best job of drawing this.

As you can see, in the top part of the drawing, pln2 falls within the tolerance zone. In the bottom part of the drawing, pln1 is not entirely contained by the tolerance zone.

Now, my understanding of this may not be complete or have some errors. Please, someone correct me if this is incorrect.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the time and effort, this does shed some light on the issue.
            sigpic

Comment