dual arm tip cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual arm tip cal

does anyone know if you have to cal the common ball everytime you change your your probe config or is the tech guy right do it only when you have a Major crash or its cal time for the cmm.

Thanks
    Mike

When you say "change your probe config..." do you mean changing the length of the probe or swapping from a 2mm ball to a 3mm ball? If so you'll have to requalify the probe tip. Everytime I unscrew something (change probe set-ups) I qualify my tip.
    sigpicHomburgler
    DEA Bravo Dual Arm | 3.5MR2
    B&S 7107 | 3.7MR3

Comment

Been awhile since I ran dual arm. Any time you change probes you will have to recalibrate. You need to run a ZERO Datum in your programs if you are using both arms to measure establishing a center zero so both arms can refrence back to zero on that axis. As far as re refrencing Zero with three spheres this is only done with calibration crashes re refrencing probe head etc just as he said.
      sigpic
      3.7 MR4

Comment

Does anybody have the procedures to do a dual arm calibration?
        I have been told to reset my tips before doing dual arm and I have been told not to. After doing the dual arm calibration I have been told to F9 the individual probes and measure the common sphere again. First the master side and then the slave side. I am told that I need to click "yes" that the sphere has moved for the master. Then click "no" for the slave. After I have measured the common sphere I then measure the individual sphere: master measures master and slave measures slave. If I use the dual arm calibration, why do I need to measure the common sphere again?
        I am new to CMM. I am running PC-DMIS 2013MR1.
        Thanks for any advice!

Comment

Originally posted by kass_b View Post
          Been awhile since I ran dual arm. Any time you change probes you will have to recalibrate. You need to run a ZERO Datum in your programs if you are using both arms to measure establishing a center zero so both arms can refrence back to zero on that axis. As far as re refrencing Zero with three spheres this is only done with calibration crashes re refrencing probe head etc just as he said.
          Correct - you shouldn't have to "chase the ball" or run a three-sphere "origin and rotation" procedure on a regular basis. However, you'll improve your dual arm measurement accuracy by running the one-ball origin procedure on a regular basis - I would certainly run it after any tip calibration.

I don't have the software in front of me at the moment and I don't run the dual arm linking through PC-DMIS on our current machine - it's a Zeiss dual arm and both the tip cal and the dual arm link are performed through Zeiss DME software for their controllers.

I know I have some notes on the dual arm linking through PC-DMIS at the house - I'll dig them up and add a procedure write-up for you next week. Also, if you can get in touch with Michael Piontec (?) at Hexagon, he's about the best I've worked with for explaining the dual arm setup.

Comment