Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automate Calibration

All,
    Is there a way to insert the Mark Global routine into a program?

I want to write a small program that checks the calibration of all modules to each other and checks a few 90's and 45's to make sure oreintation is OK.

I want to use this data to automatically determine if the probes are calibrated to each other within a reasonable tolerance.

I have no problem with the above stuff. What I have a problem with is the below stuff.

IF the calibration exceeds my limits then I want the CMM to find out all tips used from a module (like Mark Global) and then calibrate all these automatically.

I suppose ALL tips would work too since I don't typically define tips I don't use.

I have heard of calibration sets but have never done anything with them or really even know what they are so speak slowly.
    Bill Jarrells
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

W-e-l-l,
    A-r-e y-o-u t-r-y-i-n-g (ok, enough of the talking slow stuff) to write a program that will calibrate all your tips or are you trying to write a program that will calibrate all the tips used in a particular program?

If the first, it is pretty simple. I would calibrate all tips you put in the program and all angles for those tips. I can lead you through further if you tell me which you are trying to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
      W-e-l-l,
      A-r-e y-o-u t-r-y-i-n-g (ok, enough of the talking slow stuff) to write a program that will calibrate all your tips or are you trying to write a program that will calibrate all the tips used in a particular program?

If the first, it is pretty simple. I would calibrate all tips you put in the program and all angles for those tips. I can lead you through further if you tell me which you are trying to do.
      I want to automate both. We currently do both manually.

I think I have the first one figured out - I just have to make sure I only define the tips I actually use instead of a Blanket Define of tips I think I will need at some point/ then I can just cycle through the modules and instert a calibrate all tips for each module.

The second one is more what I want. I would like the program to automatically 'know' I added an angle as well (like Mark Used). I also want it to know that I changed modules and that it needs to calibrate the tips from all modules used.

Is this possbile / easy?
      Bill Jarrells
      A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Im thinking you could use the autocalibrate feature>> Have it in the program twice one with the bare bones calibration set and the other with a 100% calibration set than use onerror after the first to dictate whether to calibrate again with the 100% set

Comment

Originally posted by spazus_maximus View Post
          Im thinking you could use the autocalibrate feature>> Have it in the program twice one with the bare bones calibration set and the other with a 100% calibration set than use onerror after the first to dictate whether to calibrate again with the 100% set
          Talking too fast - a Calibration set is what? LOL

Actually, I think I have the first one (gloabal) solved. It is the local where I need to be able to detect what probes are used automatically.
          Bill Jarrells

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
            I want to automate both. We currently do both manually.

I think I have the first one figured out - I just have to make sure I only define the tips I actually use instead of a Blanket Define of tips I think I will need at some point/ then I can just cycle through the modules and instert a calibrate all tips for each module.

The second one is more what I want. I would like the program to automatically 'know' I added an angle as well (like Mark Used). I also want it to know that I changed modules and that it needs to calibrate the tips from all modules used.

Is this possbile / easy?
            Well, here is the thing. When you insert the autocalibrate into a program you have a few limited options. The first is whether or not the cal sphere has moved (I use yes for the first tip and no for any others). The second is to show a summary. The third is to overwrite the results file. The fourth and final is to select if you use a parameter set (all angles is an option).

Parameter sets allow you to specify the tip angles which you want to calibrate. So, say you have a tip that has 6 angles in it and you only want to calibrate A0B0 and A90B0. You would set up a parameter set for those. Now, as I said before, all angles is an option. If you select that case, any angle in that probe file will be calibrated.

So, if you add an angle to a program and you have "all angles" selected for the cal you are fine. If you add an angle to a program and are using parameter sets you would need to go and add that to the parameter set or create a new parameter set.

Comment

OK, looks like Parameter Sets is the most efficient. Too bad 'Mark Used' cannot be a parameter set.
              So, how do you set up a parameter set?
              Bill Jarrells

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                OK, looks like Parameter Sets is the most efficient. Too bad 'Mark Used' cannot be a parameter set.
                So, how do you set up a parameter set?
                Open the probe toolbox. Click measure. Highlight the angles you want. Down near the bottom is a space for parameter sets. Type in a name there. I like to use A0B0 A90B0 A90B90 etc so that I know what is in the parameter set. The only problem is that you are limited to the length of characters. I have also used program names for the parameter set name but then you end up with a lot more parameter sets. So, I do a little of both. If I've got a program with only two angles I'll use the angles for the name. If there are a bunch of angles I'll use the program name. That way, if I have another program that uses the same angles, I can re-use the parameter set.

When you have the name in there, click save. A window will pop up saying that it was saved. Click OK then click cancel to get out of the measure window. Now, click OK to get out of the probe toolbox. If you click cancel, your parameter sets will not be saved. Now, place your cursor in your autocalibrate command. Hit F9 and there is a dropdown where you can choose your parameter set.

Remember to include A0B0 in all parameter sets since it is what is used to relate one tip build to another.
                Last edited by #2#; 07-27-2007, 04:14 PM.

Comment