Programs changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programs changing

I am a little stumped on this one. I am having a problem with some of my programs not being the same when logging off the network.
    What I do is this, I run on the network side of the computer all day so I can program and be able to import cad models. I also get the internet on this side. When I am done for the day, I log off of this side (network), and log into just the computer. I believe everything is set up correctly for this. I have been doing this for about 6 months now. I wanted to make sure the 2nd and 3rd shift couldn’t get onto the internet at night.
    Last night when I left, I logged off and then back on the computer side. When I came in this morning I noticed all my dimensions are set to 5 decimal places. I run them at 4 places. I then logged off the computer side and onto my network side and the decimals are back to 4 places.
    This doesn’t happen all the time, but just enough to get under your skin. I keep thinking someone from the other shifts are playing with buttons on here that they have no idea what they are for.
    Thought someone may have an idea of why this happening.
    Sorry for the long post.

3.5MR2
    B. Jacobs
    B&S Global 12.15.10

Hmmm, are you using the same login name for both?

Comment

In the setup window you can go to the dimensions window and set the number of decmil places in each program. I have programs that use both 4 places and 5 PCDMIS only remembers the last one used if it is not in each program. Also the same is true with movespeed. So if the last program that you ran was 5 decmil places, and the next program does not have a decmil place command in the program the default used is 5
      Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
        Hmmm, are you using the same login name for both?
        Yes the login name is the same. The only difference is going from network on the computer to just the computer itself.

Originally posted by William Johnson View Post
        In the setup window you can go to the dimensions window and set the number of decmil places in each program. I have programs that use both 4 places and 5 PCDMIS only remembers the last one used if it is not in each program. Also the same is true with movespeed. So if the last program that you ran was 5 decmil places, and the next program does not have a decmil place command in the program the default used is 5
        I looked at the program before I switched sides and the place you are talking about was 5 decimal places. When I logged in onto the network side and opened the program it was back to 4 decimal place. I know what you are talking about here. I always use 4 places unless I have a tight tolerence that needs 5 places. I then go into the setup and change the decimal places for that dimension then change it back.
        B. Jacobs
        B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

Each login has their own settings.

Doesn't matter if the logins are the same name. When you log into your network domain, that is a different user than your local computer domain. Look under "Documents and Settings" folder and you will see the different users(Only if you admin rights).

To make sure it is "fixed" embed the preferred setting into the programs.
          Last edited by cmmguy; 07-26-2007, 09:28 AM.
          Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
            Each login has their own settings.

Doesn't matter if the logins are the same name. When you log into your network domain, that is a different user than your local computer domain. Look under "Documents and Settings" folder and you will see the different users(Only if you admin rights).

To make sure it is "fixed" embed the preferred setting into the programs.
            Or, with pc-dmis closed navigate using explorer to the folder which contains pc-dmis. There will be folders in there for each user. Find the one which is used for your network login. Copy that folder, paste a copy of it in the pc-dmis folder. Now, re-name the folder for your local-only folder. Rename the pasted folder with the previous name of the local-only folder. Viola, both should now have the same default settings and toolbars, etc.

In fact, if you want to control which buttons are on the toolbars and which options are in the menus for users (if you don't use operator mode)...

Copy and paste your folder (a backup). Now, open PC-DMIS and edit the toolbars and menus as you want theirs to be. Close pc-dmis. Go to your original folder. Copy and paste it as many times as you have users. Rename each folder with the user's user name (you will have to re-name their folders first to eliminate duplication of folder names). Now, delete your original folder and re-name the backup to your original folder's name.

You should now have all the buttons and toolbars and such you are used to. If, however, you login using one of their login names, they will only have what you have given them.
            Last edited by #2#; 07-26-2007, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Or, with pc-dmis closed navigate using explorer to the folder which contains pc-dmis. There will be folders in there for each user. Find the one which is used for your network login. Copy that folder, paste a copy of it in the pc-dmis folder. Now, re-name the folder for your local-only folder. Rename the pasted folder with the previous name of the local-only folder. Viola, both should now have the same default settings and toolbars, etc.

In fact, if you want to control which buttons are on the toolbars and which options are in the menus for users (if you don't use operator mode)...

Copy and paste your folder (a backup). Now, open PC-DMIS and edit the toolbars and menus as you want theirs to be. Close pc-dmis. Go to your original folder. Copy and paste it as many times as you have users. Rename each folder with the user's user name (you will have to re-name their folders first to eliminate duplication of folder names). Now, delete your original folder and re-name the backup to your original folder's name.

You should now have all the buttons and toolbars and such you are used to. If, however, you login using one of their login names, they will only have what you have given them.
              Both sides look the same. IE toolbars , programs and such. It is just once in a while I will see problems.

I have Admin rights to this computer. I use the same login password for both but the compouter name is different. I have looked in PCDMIS and I do not see diferent folders.
              Last edited by B. Jacobs; 07-26-2007, 10:53 AM.
              B. Jacobs
              B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

Or...
                My point was only to indicate that they are different users... not suggest that anyone make changes there...

Using your method will require constant maintenance to keep them "even". I think there are also setting stored in the Registry under the different users.

Suggestion: Use the same user, screw the separate login, just limit the hours of internet access if that is a problem.

I dislike how PCDMIS uses the computer login to manage users - it should have its own login with different levels of users. Then this would be a non-issue.
                Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                  Using your method will require constant maintenance to keep them "even".
                  True. You could probably use a batch file to restore the folders to the originally intended settings on a daily basis. Kind of a reverse backup.

Comment