Cleaning Granite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Granite

I am interested in the best way to clean my granite and how others of you are doing it. How often should it be done as well?

Brown & Sharpe Global 7-10-7
    PCDMIS CAD++ v4.1 & v4.2 Release Candidate
    PH10MQ
    SP25M & TP20
    2 yrs running CMM

I use alcohol and/or acetone. I usually clean it atleast once a day and before/after each different setup.
    I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
    PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
    PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Acetone or Denatured Alcohol - usually clean before a new setup, or, when I need a good buzz to get me thru the rest of the day.
      sigpic Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather a skid in broadside, totally worn, proclaiming WOW What a ride!

Comment

Starrett Surface Plate Cleaner
        sigpic
        EPG
        PCDMIS 3.7MR3
        B&S Global

Comment

Plate Cleaner for the plate. Alcohol for the bearing ways. Keep the ways clean at all times. The plate is a matter of preference. I clean it when dirty which depends on the parts you inspect. Currently my plate is almost never dirty. In the past at diff jobs I have had to clean the plate from as infrequent as weekly to as frequent as twice a day or even every setup. Depends on what you check.
          Bill Jarrells
          A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Denatured Alcohol and on occasion plain coffee black no sugar or cream.

Comment

Squeaky clean

I use Surf-Clean on surface(A.A. Jansson, Inc.)

Methanol on bearing ways.
              sigpic
              "You cant vote 'present' as the President of the United States"

Comment

Never. I use dedicated fixtures and never simulate a datum with the granite so I don't give it any attention. It is filthy and has chips out of it everywhere. The plate in the lab that we do layout work on we clean with just about anything except anti-granite. That would be bad.

Have used the Starrett stuff and it works, also used some foam like crap in a spray can it works well too. If you use toilet cleaner use the scented stuff for those not so fresh days.
                <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Hello,
                  You can buy their "special cleaner", or Go Jo and a scotch brite, then follow with a soft cloth. This will remove the scuffs and also condition the granite. I usually do it weekly or when it looks dull. Denatured Alcohol in between.

A.Gore
                  Last edited by ag162; 07-23-2007, 03:27 PM.
                  sigpicA.Gore

Comment

Weekly or more often Denatured Alcohol. Never tried go jo do you just use regular go jo or some special kind?
                    sigpic
                    3.7 MR4

Comment

Alcohol or surface plate cleaner....when required.....Like Craig only set stuff on table.
                      sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Denatured or methanol, I prefer the methanol but be careful, it can be absorbed through the skin and is VERY poisonous. Both do a great job of cleaning but will dull the shine of the granite, if you want the shine use the go-jo (hates it).

TK
                        sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

Just the regular. This is especially good if you have scuffs from fixtures sliding on and off. You don't want any gritty type cleaner. The white creamy go jo is the only type i would reccommend. Definately not the orange pumice, it has an abrasive cleanser that would be diffucult to remove. The other surface cleaner, is one that we had gotten thru a calibration company and it was very similar to go jo also. Just more expensive. But for the daily clean ups, denatured alcohol.

A.Gore

A.Gore
                          sigpicA.Gore

Comment

We just use granite cleaner on the table and alcohol on the ways.
                            sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

I use Starrett Granite Cleaner (liquid) followed by Denatured Alcohol to remove any residue. I try to clean it at least twice a week, but sometimes ya just can't do what ya want!!!!
                              Steven69
                              sigpic

Comment