radius size with small arc sections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radius size with small arc sections

Does anyone know an easy method to get accurate measurements on radius size with small arc sections? It seems like anything less than a full circle gets varying repeatability. I am trying to measure a radius of 2mm at a 90° arc sweep.
    Thanks for this Forum.
    David Kick

Profile.
    Set Origin to Center and take Radial Point hits. Reprt the Radial Point.
    Bill Jarrells
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

What the wingman said....I do it all the time.
      sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

How do you set origin to center if you don't have a location?
        I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
        PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
        PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec View Post
          You have to have the coordinates before this works of course.....

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec View Post
            Get the location from the print.
            Bill Jarrells
            A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

I should of been more clear. If your print has no location for this radius, then bascially you're out of luck?
              I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
              PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
              PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                Get the location from the print.
                There are alot of times the radius is not controlled by a FCF for profile & therefore not dimensioned (just a radius callout). In this case I call the engineer and tell him if he wants it checked I need the coordinates

Comment

Originally posted by bw_bob View Post
                  There are alot of times the radius is not controlled by a FCF for profile & therefore not dimensioned (just a radius callout). In this case I call the engineer and tell him if he wants it checked I need the coordinates
                  Radius Gage
                  If no Rad Gage then you need a location for it.
                  Can you figure out where it is from the adjacent surfaces?
                  Bill Jarrells

Comment

Re-measure sets origin; before that you must set circle so close that machine gets that 90°; more points will help, too

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_K View Post
                      Re-measure sets origin; before that you must set circle so close that machine gets that 90°; more points will help, too
                      Re-meas will use the feature to set origin. If feature is not correct then origin is not correct. More points can help and hurt - I have seen it go both ways. With a small arc you need to do a profile. Most of the time they are trying to control the surface for clearance. All you need to do is say where the surface IS compared to where it SHOULD be. The actual calculation of the radius is NOT a good indication of whether this is true or not when you are sampling a small section of an arc. In many cases CMM cannot tell you where the radius is or how big it is. It CAN tell you where the surface is at though.
                      Bill Jarrells

Comment

Wingman is right with a profile, except if there MUST be a circle as output, no matter of uglynes of a surface(been there)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_K View Post
                          Wingman is right with a profile, except if there MUST be a circle as output, no matter of uglynes of a surface(been there)
                          I don't agree. If you use Radial Points and report the Radius as MIN and MAX they will never, ever, ever know the difference.

If pushed I tell them I can give them an unreliable, misleading load of crap or I can tell them where the surface is at. Take your pick.
                          Last edited by Wingman; 07-20-2007, 12:30 PM.
                          Bill Jarrells

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I will let my boss read this and see if he wants to invest the time to measure this.
                            David Kick

Comment

Well, something to try, if all he needs is the radius value:

1) Measure 2 lines, one on either side of the radius
                              2) Intersec the lines
                              3) Make an alignment, using one of those lines as the rotate and set the origin to the intersection point.

This will let the part move all over the place (within resaon, of course) and give him a brand-spanking new origin that SHOULD be in perfect realtionship to the location of the radius. Then, simply program the section of radius so that the hits are good and go to town.

Another option:
                              Measure the lines as before, and intersect them for a point. Measure an AUTOFETURE circle that is a RELATIVE MEASURE feature to that intersection point. Same results without the need for the alignment.
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by AndersI
                              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment