Aligning hole to hole confusion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Aligning hole to hole confusion

    I have two holes that is normal to X-. Constructed a line from one to the other going Y+. After the alignment it's showing one hole off by .005" on the Z.

    Here's the setup:

    Plane leveled/Trans X
    Hole1 = Y, Z origin
    Construct 2D line from Hole1 to Hole2
    Rotate line to Y+ about X+.

    Shouldn't both holes be Z=0?

    Form on both holes is .00003" or so. Diameter is coming out almost nominal.
    I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

    Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
    PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
    PH10MQ/SP600M


    sigpic

  • #2
    Originally posted by Underspec View Post
    I have two holes that is normal to X-. Constructed a line from one to the other going Y+. After the alignment it's showing one hole off by .005" on the Z.

    Here's the setup:

    Plane leveled/Trans X
    Hole1 = Y, Z origin
    Construct 2D line from Hole1 to Hole2
    Rotate line to Y+ about X+.

    Shouldn't both holes be Z=0?

    Form on both holes is .00003" or so. Diameter is coming out almost nominal.
    What view plane were you in for constructing the 2D line?
    sigpic

    James Mannes

    Comment


    • #3
      You have to translate to that line in Z.
      sigpic GDTPS - 0584

      Comment


      • #4
        Ah, I was in the Z workplane. Thanks for reminding me James. I'm kinda hungover
        I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

        Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
        PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
        PH10MQ/SP600M


        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by inspector212 View Post
          You have to translate to that line in Z.
          He should not have to translate to the line if his Origin Hole was set to Zero and his Rotation was about that Origin (as in this case).
          Bill Jarrells
          A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Wingman View Post
            He should not have to translate to the line if his Origin Hole was set to Zero and his Rotation was about that Origin (as in this case).
            True, guess I should read a little closer
            sigpic GDTPS - 0584

            Comment


            • #7
              He should PROBABLY make a 3-D line between the holes. HE probably should also have surface sample hits on the holes as well. If you are NOT in a pre-aligned condition to the axis of the holes and you are usinga workplane that is not perpendicular to the holes, a 2-D line will skew it since it will not gho center point to center point, but as a projected point into the current work plane. A DCC alignment AFTEr the manual alignment will help correct this, but I would STILL use a 3-D line.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                He should PROBABLY make a 3-D line between the holes. HE probably should also have surface sample hits on the holes as well. If you are NOT in a pre-aligned condition to the axis of the holes and you are usinga workplane that is not perpendicular to the holes, a 2-D line will skew it since it will not gho center point to center point, but as a projected point into the current work plane. A DCC alignment AFTEr the manual alignment will help correct this, but I would STILL use a 3-D line.
                Why construct a line at all? Why not rotate Y+ to the two holes? But I agree with you about the surface sample hits, and a DCC alignment.
                If I have offended anyone with this post, I'd like to take this opportunity to say BOLLOCKS
                Dry your eyes Princess and man up.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Snaggy View Post
                  Why construct a line at all? Why not rotate Y+ to the two holes? But I agree with you about the surface sample hits, and a DCC alignment.
                  Surface plane is DCC aligned. The two circes sit on this plane so it would be a 2D line. The circles take 1 sample hit for depth.
                  I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

                  Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
                  PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
                  PH10MQ/SP600M


                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X