Origin Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin Setup

I have a multi-cavity part that is about 1.5 inches in Machine Z, 8 inches in Machine X, and 6 inches in Machine Y, whose origin has to be shifted to an internal Boss (X,Y).

The part is mounted vertically on a fixture, with the rotation around the Machine Y axis, and the multi-cavity face facing Machine X+.

The CAD Model origin is stating that the multi-cavity side (or face) is Vectored as Y+ (from back to front) but that would not agree with the Datum shift to the Boss.

Question: When mounting a part vertically and facing X+, with the Rotation on the Y Axis, is it ALWAYS a "ZPlus" Leveling? (I guess it would HAVE to be....yes?)

-Soupy1957
    sigpic"I used to know what I was doing, but that was before I forgot!"

-Soupy1957
    PC-DMIS 4.2/4.3MR 1
    Tutor

can you post a pic so we can get a clearer picture?
    Kevin

Comment

A pic of the setup would be nice.
      I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
      PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
      PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Your Y axis direction, if not positive, could force you to do a Z minus level. In other words, you can face the part in the +X direction, but your Z+ could be down and your Y running negative. In short, the answer to your question is no. Z+ may not be your leveling axis. Z will be the leveled axis, but it could be Z- as well.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by soupy1957 View Post
          I have a multi-cavity part that is about 1.5 inches in Machine Z, 8 inches in Machine X, and 6 inches in Machine Y, whose origin has to be shifted to an internal Boss (X,Y).

The part is mounted vertically on a fixture, with the rotation around the Machine Y axis, and the multi-cavity face facing Machine X+.

The CAD Model origin is stating that the multi-cavity side (or face) is Vectored as Y+ (from back to front) but that would not agree with the Datum shift to the Boss.

Question: When mounting a part vertically and facing X+, with the Rotation on the Y Axis, is it ALWAYS a "ZPlus" Leveling? (I guess it would HAVE to be....yes?)

-Soupy1957
          I think part of the answer to your questions/comments would be this...
          The way that the CAD models' XYZ axis is set up has no bearing on how you would set up and/or align your part.
          sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

The levelling should be the same as your primary datum NORMAL line.

If you were to mount a flagpole to your primary datum surface, the direction that it points is the direction that you should be choosing for your leveling or primary datum direction.
            Vegetables are what food eats

Here be the cards I was dealt
            B&S Xcel
            PC-DMIS 2011 We are all just beta testers

Comment

I took this as a right hand rule question and thats what my post reflects, however I agree with James and MeGoetz; your set up is totally dependant upon the datum structure of the part.

Bill

Comment

Thanks to all.....

-Soupy1957
                sigpic"I used to know what I was doing, but that was before I forgot!"

-Soupy1957
                PC-DMIS 4.2/4.3MR 1
                Tutor

Comment