Possible to lock programs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to lock programs?

I use version 4.1. Is there any way to lock a program so that the program, including the defined nominals and tolerances, can't be changed --- unless you had a password?

I've been reading through some of the old posts, and they suggest using variables for nominal values to keep them from changing, but someone could still go into the program and change the variables...

Any suggestions?
    Starry Days

Well, unless they have changed something above 3.7mr3, no there is nothing you can do that will absolutely prevent it.

There are other options/steps you can take to minimize the chances of this happening.

Check out a few of the threads at the very bottom in the "Similar Threads" section for more info.

Comment

Thanks, I didn't find the post on locking programs in my earlier search. That may help me out immensely.
      Starry Days

Comment

Originally posted by starrydays View Post
        I use version 4.1. Is there any way to lock a program so that the program, including the defined nominals and tolerances, can't be changed --- unless you had a password?

I've been reading through some of the old posts, and they suggest using variables for nominal values to keep them from changing, but someone could still go into the program and change the variables...

Any suggestions?

ADMIN RIGHTS to the pc is the easiest. Make it so there log on is read only that way they can run programs, print but cannot save any changes.
        sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Originally posted by bw_bob View Post
          ADMIN RIGHTS to the pc is the easiest. Make it so there log on is read only that way they can run programs, print but cannot save any changes.
          PC-DMIS requires administrative rights for anyone using the full PC-DMIS(regular startup vs operator mode). Operator mode and marked sets will prevent operators of the CMM from changing anything as all they can do is run the program. There is no editing capability in operator mode.
          sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Operator Mode
            sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
              There is no editing capability in operator mode.
              With 3.2063 there sure as he|| is. Operators can add comments and they can highlight and erase code thereby erasing a whole program. I have tested it and was very disapointed to see it could be done. I know that it was not intended that way but it is that way. Also printing issues. There are many quirks with operator mode, be ready for surprises. I have been running one of our machines on operator mode for about 6 years and I have had some strange things happen.

Hopefully they have been fixed by the version you are running.
              <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Operator mode also has that annoying tip calibration problem (on my machine at least). Many of my programs use more than one tip configuration. If the operator tries to calibrate the tips using the 'calibrate tips' button it will do the first tip fine but won't ask for the second tip and either crash, come up with erroneous cal. results or just not run - depending on the probe configurations.

Comment

[QUOTE=JamesMannes;70125]PC-DMIS requires administrative rights for anyone using the full PC-DMIS(regular startup vs operator mode). QUOTE]

Does this mean that operator mode has to have administrative rights as well? Or only if you want to do regular startup?
                  We have a customer worried about program integrity and security, so the more safeguards I can put up, the better.
                  Unfortunately some of our programs use multiple tips, so I will have to experiment with the tip calibration in Operator mode and see if it is feasible.

Thanks for all the info so far...
                  Last edited by starrydays; 07-13-2007, 01:38 PM.
                  Starry Days

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
                    With 3.2063 there sure as he|| is. Operators can add comments and they can highlight and erase code thereby erasing a whole program. I have tested it and was very disapointed to see it could be done. I know that it was not intended that way but it is that way. Also printing issues. There are many quirks with operator mode, be ready for surprises. I have been running one of our machines on operator mode for about 6 years and I have had some strange things happen.

Hopefully they have been fixed by the version you are running.
                    Someone pee in your Wheaties? Sorry dude, I haven't used 3.2063 for like a long time. I stand corrected.
                    sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

[quote=starrydays;70177]
                      PC-DMIS requires administrative rights for anyone using the full PC-DMIS(regular startup vs operator mode). QUOTE]

Does this mean that operator mode has to have administrative rights as well? Or only if you want to do regular startup?
                      We have a customer worried about program integrity and security, so the more safeguards I can put up, the better.
                      Unfortunately some of our programs use multiple tips, so I will have to experiment with the tip calibration in Operator mode and see if it is feasible.

Thanks for all the info so far...
                      I don't believe so. Craiger would know ask him.
                      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Someone pee in your Wheaties? Sorry dude, I haven't used 3.2063 for like a long time. I stand corrected.
                        3.7 has issues in operator mode as well, especially with the marked sets window. All I am saying is if there has been issues then it is worth making sure your version does not have them as well. Unless of course you are willing to stamp off on 4.2 then by all means, don't bothere checking.

I don't believe so. Craiger would know ask him.
                        Don't know. I don't use anything but admin.

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
                          3.7 has issues in operator mode as well, especially with the marked sets window. All I am saying is if there has been issues then it is worth making sure your version does not have them as well. Unless of course you are willing to stamp off on 4.2 then by all means, don't bothere checking.

Don't know. I don't use anything but admin.
                          Actually before reading your retort, I did go and look at 4.2 to make sure I wasn't spekin out off me ash-hole. It does not allow the operator to gain acces to an edit window or any editable stuff.

Now, can I have a hug?
                          sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Actually before reading your retort, I did go and look at 4.2 to make sure I wasn't spekin out off me ash-hole. It does not allow the operator to gain acces to an edit window or any editable stuff.

Now, can I have a hug?
                            Try opening a program in operator mode (make it one you can screw up!) Now, hit enter on the keyboard a few times. Then close the program and operator mode. Now start back up online mode and open the program. Craig has experienced a report comment being inserted wherever the cursor happened to have been left in the program the last time it was saved.

For some reason, enter inserts the report comments (it does this in online mode too if you have the edit window set to view the report).
                            When you close, it saves - even in operator mode - so that if you are using stats they will update incrementally instead of starting over with whatever it was saved at.

Comment

Now, can I have a hug?
                              I know neither does 3.2, it just displays dimensions (report mode is the only mode available). In 3.2 you can highlight all of the dimensions and hit delete. Bang the whole program is deleted when you do that. I don't know what 4.2 report mode looks like. In 3.2 every time you hit the enter key in operator mode it adds a report comment to the program. Printing has sporadic problems. When the printer box is checked and you are printing to a network printer it will print every report upon every execution even after you uncheck it. The list goes on.......

Comment