Constructing a Plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constructing a Plane

Trying to construct a plane to level the part from three features. The first feature is located on the desired plane. The second feature is 8.3 mm above the desired plane and the third feature is 20.4 mm below the desired plane. How can I establish a leveling plane using these three features?
    Every good flight ends with a great landing!
    PCDMIS CAD ++ 2014, PH10MQ

Use offset points. then make a single plane from all.

G
    Last edited by Cumofo; 07-12-2007, 07:20 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Towndogg View Post
      Trying to construct a plane to level the part from three features. The first feature is located on the desired plane. The second feature is 8.3 mm above the desired plane and the third feature is 20.4 mm below the desired plane. How can I establish a leveling plane using these three features?
      You have pnt 1
      Pnt 2 you make z zero & construct point 2a down 8.3
      pnt 3 make z zero & construct point 3a up 20.4

You then construct plane from points 1,2a,3a...then level and set as z orgin and move on
      sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

You need to choose "offset" in the construct plane window.

Then click on the establish offsets button.

At the new window you will have to choose 'calculate noms' or 'offsets' (you will have to select the proper radio button for your needs - it sounds like for this application,calc offsets is the way to go.

You will have to 'Set' where you want the offset plane and its orientation.
        - For an XY plane, set Z=0 and i=0,j=0,k=1 and click the calculate button.

you will see the values in the offset | feature list be set to their nominal values. If they are good, then rock on. If not you may have to adjust the values to suit which (if any ) are the zero point for your Z origin.
        Vegetables are what food eats

Here be the cards I was dealt
        B&S Xcel
        PC-DMIS 2011 We are all just beta testers

Comment

Originally posted by Towndogg View Post
          Construct an offset plane, pick the features in the order you describe, offset for feature 1 would be zero, second feature offset would be -8.3, third feature offset would be 20.4, as said by others for the xy plane ijk would be 0,0,1 (+z vector). Note, it'll put 'em they even if they aren't. Works well for me but that's the limit of my "know how", others may choose to educate us both regarding hazards when the features are not where they are supposed to be. I hope so in any case.

Here you go gurus!

TK
          sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment