Re-writing Nominals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-writing Nominals

Just curious. When I look back at the nominals of any PC DMIS program they are ALWYS different from the Original Program Nominals. Why? I am not talking about huge differences but the nominals are always a little different. The Normal Vectors are always a little different. The nominals are OK on the dimensional reports but the measurement commands don't retain the original programmed values. For example, I can define a hole via Polar Corrds at 70R and 30°. It will change to 69.998872145R and 29.86657481°. Normal Vectors will be 0.996423456 , 0.000154545, -0.004525156 instead of 1,0,0.
    1) Why does PC DMIS do this?
    and
    2) Does this affect anything other than me?
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Bill Jarrells
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
    Just curious. When I look back at the nominals of any PC DMIS program they are ALWYS different from the Original Program Nominals. Why? I am not talking about huge differences but the nominals are always a little different. The Normal Vectors are always a little different. The nominals are OK on the dimensional reports but the measurement commands don't retain the original programmed values. For example, I can define a hole via Polar Corrds at 70R and 30°. It will change to 69.998872145R and 29.86657481°. Normal Vectors will be 0.996423456 , 0.000154545, -0.004525156 instead of 1,0,0.
    1) Why does PC DMIS do this?
    and
    2) Does this affect anything other than me?
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Do you have FIND NOMS turned on?
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
      Do you have FIND NOMS turned on?
      Nope. Generally we don't have CAD for our stuff. I define the features directly.
      Bill Jarrells
      A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

It has to be something to do with the alignment. Mine also changes slightly. I have no idea, just guessing
        sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Thanks.

Personally, I hate it when PC DMIS changes anything. I put it the way I put it for a reason and I want it to stay that way. I really do wish there was a switch to tell PC DMIS to never update nominals, alignments, targets, actuals etc. My personal world would go smoother. I don't mind having the option when I set up for it and request it. Just as a routine thing it is irritating IMO.

Again, thanks.
          Bill Jarrells

Comment

I use alot of variables with assigned nominals to keep it from happening. It is a hassle and time-consuming initially, but saves a lot of time downstream when edits occur or so you dont have to fix everything constantly.
            Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
              I use alot of variables with assigned nominals to keep it from happening. It is a hassle and time-consuming initially, but saves a lot of time downstream when edits occur or so you dont have to fix everything constantly.
              Yeah, it's like 'We are going to add these features so you guys can work around them, OK"? and everybody says "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah"

Insane.
              Bill Jarrells

Comment

Do you edit the dimensioned values at all(I know that you said you type everything in but its worth the typing)? If so does it come up with a warning to send the changed dimension nominal back to the feature? If you do change nominals at the dimension you may a have an invisible warning automatically sending the new nominals to the feature. Go to F5>WARNINGS>CARRY NOMINALS BACKTO THE FEATURE and check?
                sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
                  Do you edit the dimensioned values at all(I know that you said you type everything in but its worth the typing)? If so does it come up with a warning to send the changed dimension nominal back to the feature? If you do change nominals at the dimension you may a have an invisible warning automatically sending the new nominals to the feature. Go to F5>WARNINGS>CARRY NOMINALS BACKTO THE FEATURE and check?
                  There are times I have to edit dimensioned values. Usually they are OK because all the features are defined correctly.

Most of the time I see the warning. Sometimes it doesn't apper. Still other times I will see the warning when I click Mark All.

The warning box is checked.

My reporting nominals don't usually change (sometimes - but I have always attributed that to somebody answering YES to Update Nominals Of Related Dimensions.) The feature nominals change in the feature measurement command.
                  Bill Jarrells

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
                    This still doesnt stop the nominals from changing...
                    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment