Serialization error. Error:ALT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serialization error. Error:ALT

Anyone know how to open a file that doesn't open and returns this error???

I have attached a jpg of actual error. Any help is Greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files
    sigpicThanks a Millionth

Originally posted by Gary Fitzgerald View Post

Try deleting the probe file the program uses.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Hello my Friend, just look at post before yours, I reported Exactly same error, sofar I lost the program and there is no chance I dont know, but in tyhe middle of saving the program PCDMIS crashed, then same ( like yours) error shows up every time. I worked overtime last night to make it ready for today, and today it is killed , that was easy but not sweet

Comment

What version was it created in? And in what version are you trying to open it?
        sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Hi guys-
          Serialization has only recently become an area that I do a little work with. I did receive some other PR's on this, and did talk to the person who is primary responsibility it is. Unfortunately, this error is Windows telling us that the byte stream has been corrupted and it's size set to 0. Even using a hex-editor to put back individual bytes, we had very little success in reconstructing the files. Our biggest problem here is duplication. I know this has happened to you a couple times, and probably many others a couple times, but the problem is, when you try to make it happen (so we could look at it), we never can. One suspicion that the other developer had was that this occurred after a PCDMIS crash... but from the stories that I've heard, I'm not sure that's true. What we really need here is a duplicable scenario. I.e. "Here's my good program. Now open it up and re-save it.... and bam! When you re-open it, you get a 'Serialization Alt' error". If anyone out there could provide that, we would be very grateful. (We want to fix it too!) Until then, my best advice would be what my buddy Jan said... "Backup... Backup... etc.". Best regards,
          -Glenn
          Last edited by Glenn.Russell; 07-12-2007, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Just want to add to Glenns comment. As a developer I've had occasion to create programs which utilized serialization. To non-programmers, serialization is sorta like that scene in the first Star Trek the movie. Shortly after Kirk first boarded the new Enterprise, someone was being beamed on board using the transporter, something was screwed up, and the person being transported ended up an unrecognizable pile of human flesh. That is a serialization error.
            Locating the source of the problem, as Glenn mention, is pretty hard to do if you can duplicate the problem on demand. I'm going to hazard a guess (for the benefit of any Wilcox programers who may read this) that the problem may be a malformed object. This malformed object maybe hosing the serializer while being written to the .prg file thus corrupting the file. The source of the malformed object could possibly be the result of using cut and paste to copy an object from one place in the program to another. To bad the program isn't being serialized to an XML file. Just guessing here, tuff nut to crack tho.

Comment

Originally posted by kneislyd View Post
              the person being transported ended up an unrecognizable pile of human flesh. That is a serialization error.
              http://www.foodnouveau.com/recipes/d...1/images/u.jpgPie anyone?

The source of the malformed object could possibly be the result of using cut and paste to copy an object from one place in the program to another.
              http://sp1.mm-a7.yimg.com/image/3936773284Huh?
              I think he's on to it, it seems to happen when you cut an paste.

G
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cumofo View Post
                I think he's on to it, it seems to happen when you cut an paste.

G
                That would not surprise me at all. There is a TON of CODE in the program that you will never see, no matter what you do and CUT&PASTE has been a BIG issue in the paste, for example, it was in V3.5 that doing a CUT would cause POWER DUMPS all the time, UNLESS you did a DOUBLE CTRL-S just before cutting.
                sigpic
                Originally posted by AndersI
                I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by kneislyd View Post
                  Just want to add to Glenns comment. As a developer I've had occasion to create programs which utilized serialization. To non-programmers, serialization is sorta like that scene in the first Star Trek the movie. Shortly after Kirk first boarded the new Enterprise, someone was being beamed on board using the transporter, something was screwed up, and the person being transported ended up an unrecognizable pile of human flesh. That is a serialization error.
                  Locating the source of the problem, as Glenn mention, is pretty hard to do if you can duplicate the problem on demand. I'm going to hazard a guess (for the benefit of any Wilcox programers who may read this) that the problem may be a malformed object. This malformed object maybe hosing the serializer while being written to the .prg file thus corrupting the file. The source of the malformed object could possibly be the result of using cut and paste to copy an object from one place in the program to another. To bad the program isn't being serialized to an XML file. Just guessing here, tuff nut to crack tho.
                  I have a sequence that was sure to give this serialization error after which the program weas wiped (in V4.1). It was forwarded to app people @ Hexagon on 8/4/2006. PM me your Hex E-mail address and I will forward the same to you.

When it happened to me, it ALWAYS happened during a save. So you are working on a program, do something and save. You see the progress bar stop in the middle of the save and it sits there for a while. Then a pcdlrn error occurs. So PC-DMIS closes and I close NC-Server. Recover from the error and check through task-manager whether I have some other pcdlrn.exe processes running. Then I restart and try to open the program where it failed to save. PC-DMIS tries to open this program and immediately faults wih the serialization error. I was NEVER able to rescue a program from that event.

Jan.
                  PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
                  Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

TOday is my serialization day really, experienced 3 time last hour..... so let me share my experience, might help

I have made a long program, iteration alignment is the mthod of alignment, for first 3 point ( I am using 10 point indeed) to make the plane, after making program I changed the program for these points ( 10 points to make datum-A in iterative). when I wnat to save it, on 19% os saving process that will lock, That is DONE.......... Dead program,,,,,,, You may not belive me, but I am saving may program with increament number at the end for every feature that I add to program, in case I lose last file, I can come back to previous number and save some time

Comment

Originally posted by TigerShark View Post
                      TOday is my serialization day really, experienced 3 time last hour..... so let me share my experience, might help

I have made a long program, iteration alignment is the mthod of alignment, for first 3 point ( I am using 10 point indeed) to make the plane, after making program I changed the program for these points ( 10 points to make datum-A in iterative). when I wnat to save it, on 19% os saving process that will lock, That is DONE.......... Dead program,,,,,,, You may not belive me, but I am saving may program with increament number at the end for every feature that I add to program, in case I lose last file, I can come back to previous number and save some time
                      I feel your pain. Been there, doning just that. You will have to keep saving under different names. And backing up. It's a royal pain and unacceptable. Hopefully Glenn and crew can figure it out because this one is nasty.

Jan.
                      PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
                      Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Clue >>>>>>>>>

I found a Clue when it is happening........

I said I am using Iterative alignment, if I go back and change points that are used in iterative alignment ( like deleting some points and replacing them with other points), for Sure when I am saving I will get the error

But, If I first remove them from Iterative alignment ( unselect those item first from Alignment), then go delete them , then replace them with new points. there is No error and easily will be saved.

What ever is happening to me is in this category ( Iterative alignment) and related features.

I hope this help you to resolve this problem

Comment

Hi All. I've PM'd my email to Jan & TigerShark. I will be out on vacation next week. Like I said, this isn't my primary area of responsibility, but if we can nail down a definite sequence, hopefully I can hand it to the guy who's repsonsibility it is. The more detailed and precise of a sequence, the better. Thanks! -Glenn

Comment

My friends, I officially announce my return to 3.7 MR3 and stickj to it hardly,that I love it too much since I can not afford to see face of " Serialization Error " any more on 4.2

I never leave 3.7 MR3 till make sure, that nasty sentence does not shows up again
                            Last edited by TigerShark; 07-12-2007, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Hi TigerShark-
                              Just so we're clear, it's my understanding that this Serialization Alt is nothing new, and has actually existed going back even further than 3.7. Thanks,
                              -Glenn

Comment