Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cad - part alignment

Hi,

What is the best way to align part to cad data? Attached is the picture shows all datums. Please show me step by step how to align this to measure using DCC mode?

Thanks
    Tom
    Attached Files
    Sheffield Cordax RS-50
    PC-DMIS V4.2

1) Import cad into program, on screen:
    2) use probe tip icon, pick three points for a plane (press end)
    3) level z for align and origin
    4) pick hole one, three points (press end), pick hole two, three points (press end),
    5) rotate to these two hole, and set origin to one of them.
    6) start program, probe the prompted features.
    7) the part is now ready for dcc.

G
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your help. I still have questions with below in red.

2) use probe tip icon, pick three points for a plane (press end) (I have 2 datun surfaces A1 & A2. Which surface do I have to pick)
      3) level z for align and origin (According from cad data, the A1 & A2 surface is Y direction. Do I level y for align and origon instead z?)
      4) pick hole one, three points (press end), pick hole two, three points (press end),
      5) rotate to these two hole, and set origin to one of them. (How do I define Xplus or minus or zplus or minus etc)
      6) start program, probe the prompted features. (How do I start program)

Attached is the new picture with coordinate on it.
      Attached Files
      Sheffield Cordax RS-50
      PC-DMIS V4.2

Comment

2) use probe tip icon, pick three points for a plane (press end) (I have 2 datun surfaces A1 & A2. Which surface do I have to pick)
        spread it out over both just to get started.
        3) level z for align and origin (According from cad data, the A1 & A2 surface is Y direction. Do I level y for align and origon instead z?)
        Naw, put it on the axis, just like it sits on your machine.
        5) rotate to these two holes, and set origin to one of them. (How do I define Xplus or minus or zplus or minus etc)
        whichever way the arrow is pointing when you click on that feature to rotate to.
        6) start program, probe the prompted features. (How do I start program)
        I use Ctrl Q, but you can use the execute Icon (!)
        The program is just going to ask you to really measure these features now in REAL life, when you get done , now you can write the rest of the program.

Attached is the new picture with coordinate on it.

Let me know how it goes dude.

G
        sigpic

Comment

Should he construct a line between the two constucted holes, then rotate accordingly? I am still new but i was just curious.
          sigpic Great stuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wicked_tattoo View Post
            Should he construct a line between the two constucted holes, then rotate accordingly? I am still new but i was just curious.
            No you don't need to construct a line between the two holes. When you select the holes the PC-DMIS will align straight through the center of the two holes.
            Kevin

Comment

Hits for alignment for cad model programming

When you bring in the CAD model do you take your features for the alignment manual on the physical part or do you take your features from the cad model for the alignment and then do cad=parts. Thanks
              Kenn

Comment

Good evening!
                A little basic training experience to maybe help with the situation at hand. First off: I am not disagreeing with the alignment part. However, one of the things the instructor indicated to me was this: If you import a cad model into DMIS, and the model has already had an "Origin" established on the model, you will have to align the part to match the model in manual alignment first ( even if the cad model has an improper "Origin" per the actual drawing. Then you can marry(cad=part) the model to the manual alignment. Everything should look ok at this time. Now: You will have to re-align the part in DCC mode. If the model you originally imported had the correct "Origin" per the drawing, you can just re-align in DCC mode exactly as you did manually and continue on. If the model you imported had an " Origin" that was not correct to the drawing requirements, you will need to do the DCC alignment correct to the drawing. Then you can continue on as needed. Basically , all that happens is the machine is now correctly set to the drawing required " Origin". The only reason I brought this up, is that this happened to me with one of our models, during my training. I hope this helps somewhat.
                Last edited by 1CMM4ME; 07-13-2007, 07:56 PM.
                I don't feel tardy!sigpic
                B&S "One" V4.2
                Discovery D-12 V4.2

Comment

Originally posted by kmcmm View Post
                  No you don't need to construct a line between the two holes. When you select the holes the PC-DMIS will align straight through the center of the two holes.
                  Thanks man i did not know that. That will save a little time.
                  sigpic Great stuff!!!

Comment

You do not need cad=part. You can take points manually on the CAD model then run these features manually and take points on the physical part to line it up.
                    I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
                    PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
                    PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1CMM4ME View Post
                      Good evening!
                      If you import a cad model into DMIS, and the model has already had an "Origin" established on the model, you will have to align the part to match the model in manual alignment first .
                      NO!!!!!!!
                      and you do NOT HAVE TO USE CAD=PART!!!!

G
                      sigpic

Comment