Cad alignment just not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cad alignment just not working

Ok I have a STP file that I"m trying to align my part with. The Axis is sitting different than my machine so I"m using the Machine/Part setup to align it with my machine axis.

When I go and do scans using find noms it's saying it can't find them. Something's wrong with my alignment. This is part by the way is shaped like a potatoe chip. No planes to work with.
    I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
    PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
    PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Originally posted by Underspec View Post
    Ok I have a STP file that I"m trying to align my part with. The Axis is sitting different than my machine so I"m using the Machine/Part setup to align it with my machine axis.

When I go and do scans using find noms it's saying it can't find them. Something's wrong with my alignment. This is part by the way is shaped like a potatoe chip. No planes to work with.
    Did you also do an alignment on the part? You can't just set the cad axis to mathc the machine axis, you DO have to align the part still, use an iterative alignment if there are no planes to use for level/rotation/origin.

There is also a setting for increasing the 'find' distance for the find noms function. What is yours set at?
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec View Post

In scans I have noticed the units for "find nominals" do not change from one system to the other (mm to inch). Check your values they may be too small or too big.
      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

My find noms is set to default which is .100". And I did set the cad axis to my machine axis. Aligned my part, cad=part, still can't get my find nominals to come in.

PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
        PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

I don't think it should matter but do you have it set to "curve" mode instead of "surface" mode?
          sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Try using the offline alignment technique (manual) without using CAD=PART.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cumofo View Post
              Try using the offline alignment technique (manual) without using CAD=PART.
              Same thing.

By the way I'm using two cylinders to align the part. The "potato chip" sits with it's flaps facing upward. One cylinder is running along the Z and one is running along the Y.

PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
              PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

I've been using:
                Operation
                Graphics Display Window
                Transform
                to manipulate the origin of STP models with much better success than any of the previous methods. V4.1

Comment

The two cylinders is great!
                  Don't massage the stp before you bring it in.(transform)
                  Measure the z cylinder offline
                  level to it
                  establish the work plane for the second cylinder
                  measure the y cylinder offline
                  rotate to it
                  assign origins.
                  then run the manual mode part of the program and you should be killer.

G
                  sigpic

Comment

Or can you save as a .igs? try that.
                    sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

I will try both transforming the CAD model and aligning before measuring manual features.

PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
                      PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment