emergency quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emergency quick question

good morning i have a company here doing calibration/certification of my machine here today. i was wondering if he should be measuring his ball bar, linear scales etc in DCC mode. he is only measuring with manual hits and writing them down as they are. do i need to question this?

Yes, what hack outfit did you get? Ask him about cosine error in manual mode and stli deflection. I would like to know what his answer is.
    sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

I've never seen it done in manual mode.
      I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
      PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
      PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Yes question this....your talking error in his measuring technique...manually
        sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
          Yes, what hack outfit did you get?
          Is it CMM Technology???
          sigpic

B&S Global 544
          Using 3.7mr3

Peace
          Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment

yes it is, he says that this is how he is trained to do it

Comment

I'm not a pro at cmm calibrations but I've had it done twice in front of me and it's always in DCC mode hooked up to a laptop that collects the data automatically.

PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
              PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

What standard are you calibrating against? What did you specify in your purchase order? B89 or something? How many positions for the ball bar?

He can theoretically run the machine any way he wants. As long as the results meet the specs.

If you run the machine manually, you are bound to get cosine errors (plus all kinds of other problems). If he can get your machine passed in maual mode, you can be assured that your machine is much more capable than the numbers he gives you.

However, if he needs to "tweak the comp", now be VERY SUSPICIOUS. To rely on manual results to comp a machine is tricky, at best. Make sure he does not "tweak the comp" before every new position. After he "tweaks the comp", he MUST start all over again with the very first ball bar position. Your machine can only pass the B89 test with just 1 comp set. If he "tweaks" in between, you are dealing with a crook!

Jan.
                PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
                Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregl View Post
                  Is it CMM Technology???

Stop him and check your quote, call their office and tell them its a DCC machine and you want it Checked and Certified in DCC, Period or tell them to have him leave and to send one who can, do it NOW MAN
                  sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
                    Stop him and check your quote, call their office and tell them its a DCC machine and you want it Checked and Certified in DCC, Period or tell them to have him leave and to send one who can, do it NOW MAN
                    LOL after that get a discount for wasting your company time having the CMM down. Think about it, would you calibrate your tips manually with a DCC machine?

PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
                    PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec View Post
                      LOL after that get a discount for wasting your company time having the CMM down. Think about it, would you calibrate your tips manually with a DCC machine?
                      that's why they hired them in the first place.... what does you PO say. If it doesnt specify how you wanted it done (Spec or whatever) or their quote doesnt specify a standard, then you have to accept what they do, or pay for a better product the next time... Live and learn.
                      Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Not to start any fights (my machine IS done in DCC), the ONLY error you will get IF all he is doing is the ball-bar is the amount of error that could show up from different touch speeds.

Lets face it, Pcdmis, when measuring spheres, calibrates the center of the sphere to the center of the probe, then determines the SIZE of the sphere by remove the probe diameter (yes, diameter) from the center-of-probe ball size.

BUT, I would still demand DCC. If he can't program Pcdmis in DCC, then he dosen't know enough about the most common CMM software in the world to be allowed to touch your machine on his own.
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by AndersI
                        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I have been using CMM Technology for years and have no problems with their service. When the Tech performed our calibrations the ony manual hits he took were just as you might program your own parts....A few manual hits so that the machine knows where the measurement standard sits.

I am in SW Ohio so it could be a different tech though.
                          Vegetables are what food eats

Here be the cards I was dealt
                          B&S Xcel
                          PC-DMIS 2011 We are all just beta testers

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Watts View Post
                            yes it is, he says that this is how he is trained to do it
                            Thats the problem, that company is a bunch of hacks, price looks good on the quote, but what they do isn't even worth that. Last place I worked, the boss found out the hard way, and they were placed on the unapproved list.

They send me quotes all the time here, if the boss sees it (he looks at the price) I just tell him, no way.
                            sigpic

B&S Global 544
                            Using 3.7mr3

Peace
                            Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment

Originally posted by Gregl View Post
                              Thats the problem, that company is a bunch of hacks, price looks good on the quote, but what they do isn't even worth that. Last place I worked, the boss found out the hard way, and they were placed on the unapproved list.

They send me quotes all the time here, if the boss sees it (he looks at the price) I just tell him, no way.
                              Most times you do get what you pay for.
                              sigpic

James Mannes

Comment