Dual Qual Sphere, Tip Relationships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Qual Sphere, Tip Relationships?

The nuts and bolts of my Question related to the following Message box comment: (see attached jpeg also)
    In order for tips calibrated on the new tool position
    to relate to tips calibrated on the prior tool position,
    T1A0B0 must have been calibrated on the prior tool position
    Pressing OK means that T1A0B0 was calibrated on the prior tool position,
    or that you don't care if new tips calibrated
    relate back to the prior tool position.
    I recently got a Dual Qualifcation Sphere for our CMM, this way I could qualify any tip angle without moving either tool. Im using Parameter sets within the Probe file to manage which tip angles get qualified on which sphere, as some can only be Qualified on Sphere A and some only on Sphere B due to the opposite sphere's shank getting in the way of the Probe body. As a result I created a Matrix to help me remember which angles will clear with my stubbiest probe combination to avoid crashing the probe body. (see attached PDF)

Now getting back to the question, assume I only need the following tip angles.
    A0B0, and A105B180

For my Matrix in the PDF file you can see that A0B0 can only be calibrated on Sphere A, and A105B180 can only be calibrated on Sphere B, both tip angles are in the same Probe file, but use two different tools, obviously these tools are located in different space on the CMM.

Neither Qual tool has moved. But do I need to have an additional angle qualified within the Probe file which can be calibrated on both spheres? So that the Tips relate to one another, like A45B180 for instance? If so can someone please help me understand why relating all the tips to the prior tool position would be important?
    Attached Files
    Mr. Comment
    SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
    B3C-LC Controller (Leitz Protocol), SP600M, TP200
    PCDMIS CAD++ v4.3 MR1(Build: 12/11/08)
    sigpic

Wingman,

In order for tips calibrated on the new tool position
    to relate to tips calibrated on the prior tool position
    T1A0B0 must have been calibrated on the prior tool position
    Pressing OK means that T1A0B0 was calibrated on the prior tool position,
    or that you don't care if new tips calibrated
    relate back to the prior tool position.

The easiest way to think about this is this...

We'll call the probe Q03X20

Qualify all tips you want with Q03X20 probe on sphere #1 (including A0B0); answer "YES" sphere #1 has moved. Qualify all tips.

Qualify all tips called out for Q03x20 on sphere #2 (including A0B0); answer "YES" sphere #2 has moved.

That is the essence of the highlighted statement. The Q03X20 has to have been qualified on sphere #1 before qualifying the same probe on another sphere.

Take note, A0B0 must be qualified on both spheres for this to work.

That help at all?

If you want, here is a document explaining in JIMI talk two sphere qual's

GO HERE
    sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

As a side note....

I think not sure, but you may be able to qual a tip other than A0B0 as your defining probe tip, but you would have to do the same with the next sphere also then.
      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by MrComment View Post

...as some can only be Qualified on Sphere A and some only on Sphere B...

...For my Matrix in the PDF file you can see that A0B0 can only be calibrated on Sphere A, and A105B180 can only be calibrated on Sphere B...
        I think this thinking is what may be giving you trouble. You can calibrate almost any angle on the top sphere. The key is that you need to input the shank vector for the qualification sphere. PC-DMIS will then know where the shank is and avoid it during calibration.

James is correct by the way. You would need to qual A0B0 on both spheres. I would try to avoid it though and just use the top sphere if at all possible. That will remove any doubt of the tips relating correctly.

If you want to continue to use both spheres, I'd try writing a quick program using any angle you are planning on using. Calibrate them per James and then program each tip to measure ONE qual sphere. Use the A0B0 to set the orgin then dimension the other spheres and verify they all are located at 0,0,0.

Comment

Well I have my shank vectors setup correctly for both Spheres.

The problem is with a short probe the SP600 is too fat and the body will just bump into the top sphere's shank if you try to qualify it on Sphere B, not because its moving in the wrong direction though. As such I wont always be able to relate A0B0 with both tools (quite a few of my popular Probe combos are as short as possible), but any of the Green angles (see prior PDF attachment) like A45B180 for instance can be qualified on either sphere.

Also it seems like I always find myself having to use both spheres to qualify all of the angles I need for a probe in a program. So Id like to have a firm grasp on this.

Is it always the first Tip angle that is qualified on each tool the angle that is used for creating the relationship between tools?

Also I still dont get why the machine would fuss about where the prior tool position is? Doesnt it zero the tip out for each angle indepentantly anyway?
          Mr. Comment
          SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
          B3C-LC Controller (Leitz Protocol), SP600M, TP200
          PCDMIS CAD++ v4.3 MR1(Build: 12/11/08)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MrComment View Post

Is it always the first Tip angle that is qualified on each tool the angle that is used for creating the relationship between tools?

Also I still dont get why the machine would fuss about where the prior tool position is? Doesnt it zero the tip out for each angle indepentantly anyway?

I think (almost certain) that it uses A0B0 to relate one probe build to another probe build. So, in order for two different probe builds on two different modules to relate correctly they both need to have A0B0 qualified on a cal. sphere that has not been moved between them. I believe then (not so sure of this) that any angle for either probe build is related to A0B0 of that probe build so that they can then be related to another probe build and its angles.

Comment

What you are doing is telling the machine that there is a relationship between where the first sphere qualified your probe and where the second sphere is that also qualified that same probe. Without this "relationship" you cannot use two spheres to qualify the same probe but different angles on two different spheres.

As a side note...

You say you just got this two sphere artifact. I take this to mean you have a single sphere artifact? Is it, or can it be set up with a 0,0,1 vector?(straight up and down). If so, I don't understand why you need two spheres. I have
              an SP600 and I can qualify all tips on it(except A105). I primarily use the two sphere artifact to access tip angles that cannot be qualified when you have a star probe on the machine.
              sigpic

James Mannes

Comment