Does anyone program rough castings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone program rough castings?

My company would like me to automate our rough casting inspection/tool qualification checks using the cmm. There is a lot of variability in the dimensions and some big tolerances.

I'm wondering how consistent my program can be with such large tolerances. I'm not even certain that I can get a consistent alignment with rough castings, as far as physically mounting the part on the cmm. There is no datum scheme on the prints at all.

I'm not sure if it will be worth the programming time for something so inconsistent.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Is it easier than I think it is? Suggestions?

Aaron Fenner
    Quality Engineer
    PC-Dmis v4.3
    B & S Global Status 7.7.7
    6 years xp 32-bit

sigpic

Occasionally we do inspect rough castings, more as a means to determine if our first operations on the machines are material safe for subsequent operations. The difference for us I guess would be the fact that our parts always have foundry locators and datums assigned that correlate to the foundry locators. Typically X, Y, and Z.

The tolerances for these are always very broad and give a a diameter of the "zone" that your hit must fall within. These are related abck to the part via basic dimensions.
    If clutter is a sign of genius, I must be qualified to teach guys like Einstein and other smarty pantses

B & S 7-10-7
    pcdmis cad++ 3.25mr3

Comment

Been there, done that.

If the drawings show tooling location points, you can use these. If they don't get with your engineering staff and come to agreement on what features/points can be used for the datums and use an iterative alignment.
      Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
      Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

How about fixture alignment.Is your company willing to pay for fixturing?
        sigpic

Comment

Just what Dwade & Jay R said.

Jay R, is that long for JR? I had a friend we called LR, because his first name was Leslie. I use G that's short for Gabriel, I use CumoFo to make it easier to search for my posts. If I typed in Gabriel, too many hits would come up. Hits are ok if your a musician, are you a musician? Lots of people on this forum are musicians. My wife said she'd never date a musician, I said you don't have to worry about that, I just play guitar.

G
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cumofo View Post
            Just what Dwade & Jay R said.

Jay R, is that long for JR? I had a friend we called LR, because his first name was Leslie. I use G that's short for Gabriel, I use CumoFo to make it easier to search for my posts. If I typed in Gabriel, too many hits would come up. Hits are ok if your a musician, are you a musician? Lots of people on this forum are musicians. My wife said she'd never date a musician, I said you don't have to worry about that, I just play guitar.

G
            Highjakker
            sigpic

James Mannes

Comment