Profile question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile question

I have a couple of different profile call outs on my B/P. On the same print there is a profile of a surface .010 to BAC then on an other surface .010 BCA. I have not started programing it yet and I just wonder if dmis calculate the profile any different if I just dimensioned as .010 ABC for both cases. Should I stick with the B/P or I can use .010 to ABC?
    Pc-Dmis 4.2, Zeiss Eclipse
    sigpic

I would think you need to use the correct Datum scheme. If we could see a pic it would be easier to explain. But they may want to know what the profile is from each feature. What type of features are -a- -b- -c-? Are holes or are the other planes?
    sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

I would say stick to the print. Is there a basic dimension from the surface to the B datum? You B is primary so I'm thinking that they're more concerned about the distance betwen the surface and B datum than the A.
      sigpic
      If A Pretty Poster And A Cute Saying Are All It Takes To Motivate You,
      You Probably Have A Very Easy Job. The Kind Robots Will Be Doing Soon.

Comment

The datum schemes also define which features level and align - changing those can really change the meaning of the measurements.
        Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
          The datum schemes also define which features level and align - changing those can really change the meaning of the measurements.
          What I said, only maybe better.

Comment

The part is a hinge by definition, datum -A- is a flat surface, B and C are close tolerance holes. I guess those holes are the once that they want to check the part to, because of the functionality of the hinge. Thank you for the reply. Learning something new everyday.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BANDY View Post
              The part is a hinge by definition, datum -A- is a flat surface, B and C are close tolerance holes. I guess those holes are the once that they want to check the part to, because of the functionality of the hinge. Thank you for the reply. Learning something new everyday.
              Thats what I thought, they wanted to know what something was to two different areas

Comment

Originally posted by BANDY View Post
                I have a couple of different profile call outs on my B/P. On the same print there is a profile of a surface .010 to BAC then on an other surface .010 BCA. I have not started programing it yet and I just wonder if dmis calculate the profile any different if I just dimensioned as .010 ABC for both cases. Should I stick with the B/P or I can use .010 to ABC?
                BAC can give you vastly different results from BCA. And the demons evaluate this correctly.

HOWEVER, in my humble opinion, PC-DMIS incorrectly reports profile, so be VERY careful.

Hexagon is unwilling to correct this issue because in their opinion they do it right. I totally disagree and before you report any results, make sure you study the attached post from some time ago. On top of that, you are using 4.0. There are several reporting issues with profile in 4.0 that have now been resolved in 4.2.

STOP USING 4.0!!!!!! It is not very good.

http://www.pcdmisforum.com/showthrea...hlight=profile

Jan.
                PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
                Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

I am currently using 4.1, I am getting 4.2 next week. I noticed that some cases when I see a profile out of tolerance, I do analyze each point location and they are all within tolerance. Is that what you mean by dmis calculating profile wrong?
                  sigpic

Comment

Ohh...ok I just read the link you put there...I do the same just print out the location for each point then calculated myself.
                    sigpic

Comment

If you have profile report MIN MAX from the Dimension Menu you can get the numbers you want without calculation.
                      Bill Jarrells
                      A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

All I ever use as to report a profile is the "T Value" of points. We are Sheet Metal. I make a note on the report for each call out and show the axis or axis's and the T Value

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
                          All I ever use as to report a profile is the "T Value" of points. We are Sheet Metal. I make a note on the report for each call out and show the axis or axis's and the T Value
                          Works great, don't it, Paul?

I have been doing that since the DOS days of Pcdmis.
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by AndersI
                          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                            Works great, don't it, Paul?

I have been doing that since the DOS days of Pcdmis.
                            Me too. Not only does it give you the profile,it shows you the curve of the profile and how good or bad it really is. Most engineers want it that way.

Comment

T Value?
                              Bill Jarrells
                              A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment