Alignment-newbie help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment-newbie help please

Boss brings another piece for me to learn on today. Happy Happy Joy Joy.
    Anyway, the plate is .300 thick and 12.000 diameter. I laid the plate down on the cmm with the origin hole( per the drawing) ( which is at the bottom area of the plate) facing me at the front of the machine.Note: all holes are in the Z axis. The drawing indicates the hole pattern is realitive to the center of the part . However, all locating dimensions come from the origin hole. Well. I leveled the plane with 3 points, but how do I align the rest of the part? There is a hole at the top of the part, which is in line with the origin hole at the bottom for a Y axis. There is group of holes that are in the X axis just above the origin hole. My thought would be to level Z, construct a line between the top hole and the origin hole for Y ( rotate), and then construct a line between the far left X axis hole and the far right X axis hole to origin. I did this , but the origin location on the screen didn't put X,Y,Z at the origin hole location. So I called alignment back up and called circle1 ( origin hole) to X,Y. origin. The origin was placed at the origin hole on the drawing, but I am not for sure this is really right. Setting the part up on the layout plate, i would insure the origin hole was at zero in both X & Y axis, as the Z would be 90° perp to these, and then start measuring. Well, thanks to all that can help. I hope this is not too confusing. This is really a piece of cake job to someone who can use the machine properly. Thanks again.
    I don't feel tardy!sigpic
    B&S "One" V4.2
    Discovery D-12 V4.2

That sounds right to me. Or you could make the line the origin for the x axis, the hole for the y and the plane for the z. I assume all measurements are based off the hole you called the origin?
    sigpic
    If A Pretty Poster And A Cute Saying Are All It Takes To Motivate You,
    You Probably Have A Very Easy Job. The Kind Robots Will Be Doing Soon.

Comment

What I would do would be a 3-2-1 alignment off the top of the part and the 2 holes that are in line, which it sounds like you did. Also, is there any cad?
      sigpic

Comment

plane on top Z
        Line from Center hole to hole on right x axis

Origin xy center hole
        z plane on top plate
        sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

No cad model available. I don't know how to use the cad part of Dmis yet anyway. I will soon, I hope. One of my friends always reminds me that I will not always be able to have a cad model, so get use to the measuring without one. If you have one great!, but if not, you'll still have no problem getting through the part.
          I don't feel tardy!sigpic
          B&S "One" V4.2
          Discovery D-12 V4.2

Comment

I dont have a drawing, but from how discribe it I would do an initial line-up then level Z+, zero origin feature, Then do a 2D best-fit alignment from the remaining features with rotate only option. Note: theoretical values of features must be correct in order for it to work.

Comment

2d is fine if you want to spread the error out, but if you have datums, you have to use them. I used to layout to prints that didn't have datums and I just had to assume if everything was called back to one or two fetures then those were the datums. Like Darin said, hard to tell without a drawing.
              sigpic

Comment

Does the print have any datums on it with feature control frames for the diameters....GDT

Just curious
                sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment