IGES Origin in space?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGES Origin in space?

I can import iges files alright, but the x,y,z origin on the model is somewhere in space. Our models are given to us with Airplane Coordinates and I believe that the orgin I see is this. We have tried to set a good origin in Unigraphics, but it still shows far away after importing. I have tried to manually set up the origin on the part, but the graphics still show my probe and features near the space origin, even after chosing CAD=PART. Is there a trick at the Unigraphics stage or somewhere in PC-DMIS that I can get this right?

Originally posted by Mike Brodie View Post
    I can import iges files alright, but the x,y,z origin on the model is somewhere in space. Our models are given to us with Airplane Coordinates and I believe that the orgin I see is this. We have tried to set a good origin in Unigraphics, but it still shows far away after importing. I have tried to manually set up the origin on the part, but the graphics still show my probe and features near the space origin, even after chosing CAD=PART. Is there a trick at the Unigraphics stage or somewhere in PC-DMIS that I can get this right?
    Use an ITERATIVE alignment for airplane, I have heard that works best.

Also, I know you said IGES, but STEP files can be issues. There are 2 forms of STEP, one of them will stay in original orientation no matter what you do to the model upon export, the other one will export the model to what you have done for moving the data around.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Try using the Operation-Graphics Display Window-Transform feature to edit the CAD model to where you want the origin.
      I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
      PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
      PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

What version DMIS are you running?
        sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

I am using 4.1
          I do not understand "Iterative"
          Can you explain?

Comment

Shirley you must be joking?

sorry, lame hijack attempt

If given to you in airplane coordinates, wouldn't you want to report in airplane coordinates? If you're reporting in airplane coordinates, wouldn't you want to measure in airplane coordinates?

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec View Post
              Try using the Operation-Graphics Display Window-Transform feature to edit the CAD model to where you want the origin.
              Do as underspec has suggested

I am using 4.1
              I do not understand "Iterative"
              Can you explain?
              A method of alignment construction that refines itself by measuring and remeasuring the alignment features created by the programmer. See the linked document for more info.

GO HERE FOR DOCUMENT
              sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Ditto on the iterative - I'd keep everything in airplane coordinates. That way, everybody is on the same page.

Another way, is to use the iterative alignment, then a 3-2-1 alignment to your own coord system. This will snap the model to where you want it. I used to have decent luck doing that.
                sigpic Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather a skid in broadside, totally worn, proclaiming WOW What a ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                  Shirley you must be joking?

sorry, lame hijack attempt

If given to you in airplane coordinates, wouldn't you want to report in airplane coordinates? If you're reporting in airplane coordinates, wouldn't you want to measure in airplane coordinates?
                  http://mud.mm-a4.yimg.com/image/2864581177
                  Don't call me Shirley...

1) write a short alignment routine "offline style" with mouse.
                  2) execute the routine in manual mode.
                  3) the part axis and origin will be exactly where you want it.

K?

it''s easy, DO NOT USE CAD=PART!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, no I do not want to report Airplane Coordinates. How am I suppose to tell the operator that the .125 diameter hole at 105 inches is out? Plus, the Airplane coordinate does not match any alignment of the part. I can get the CMM to check the part, but I have no nominals. I have tried Iterative alignment, but my origin does not change. I even used the wizard, but no luck. All I really want out of life is that the little picture of my probe in the graphic display is where it physically is on the CMM. HMMMM. Maybe I am just an idiot but I am really stuck.

Comment

Wgs

Tk
                      sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

I have tried Iterative alignment, but my origin does not change. I even used the wizard, but no luck. All I really want out of life is that the little picture of my probe in the graphic display is where it physically is on the CMM. HMMMM. Maybe I am just an idiot but I am really stuck.

Mike I told you how to fix it. Now do it.

1) write a short alignment routine "offline style" with mouse.
                        (Forget what the probe looks like here it will come around ok.)
                        2) execute the routine in manual mode.
                        (with the part on your table exactly as you like)
                        3) the part axis and origin will be exactly where you want it, and you can smile again.

K?

it''s easy, DO NOT USE CAD=PART!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G
                        Last edited by Cumofo; 06-26-2007, 01:47 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, no I do not want to report Airplane Coordinates. How am I suppose to tell the operator that the .125 diameter hole at 105 inches is out? Plus, the Airplane coordinate does not match any alignment of the part. I can get the CMM to check the part, but I have no nominals. I have tried Iterative alignment, but my origin does not change. I even used the wizard, but no luck. All I really want out of life is that the little picture of my probe in the graphic display is where it physically is on the CMM. HMMMM. Maybe I am just an idiot but I am really stuck.
                          Do what cumofo said in his post and the CAD will be right where you want it.
                          Bill Jarrells
                          A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Gardner View Post
                            Ditto on the iterative - I'd keep everything in airplane coordinates. That way, everybody is on the same page.

Another way, is to use the iterative alignment, then a 3-2-1 alignment to your own coord system. This will snap the model to where you want it. I used to have decent luck doing that.
                            I do this all the time. Works great to get your model origin to match the ABC origin of the drawing.
                            ** "Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!"~ Ulysses Everett McGill **

Comment

Can you post the drawing of the part you're measuring - we could probably give you a play-by-play of how to set the origin in the CAD window. It's fairly simple - once you do it the first time, it'll be a piece of cake from then on.
                              sigpic

Comment