Free Beer and HotWings-On Site Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Beer and HotWings-On Site Training

O.K. ...........Now that I have got your attention. (Well maybe most of you).
    I want to thank all the people on this board that have offered there professional services to come to our shop and train me one on one.
    However, the bean counters have struck again. Well, it's not all bad, as it will show some good (I hope).
    Beings that we just purchased our " One" B&S , we were granted 5 seats in the basic training class. (1500.00 per seat). I personally felt the best training would be one on one in our facility with our parts, rather than go offsite.
    So, I contacted B&S for a quote to come to our facility for training. The individual I spoke with indicated that each day was 1500.00 for training (up to 4 people), not to mention the following:
    Airfare: XXXXX, Travel time(100.00 per hour), Rental Car(75.00 a day), Hotel and Food(140.00 a day). My boss almost choked:
    Well, It boiled down to using 3 credits off the offsite class, and roughly 2k to have on site training. Man, I am in the wrong business.
    I don't know who the instructor that is coming is, but I hope that this basic training is worth it. I know alot of you are saying : man that's bull sh..t. Well, that's bean counting at it's best. I know that I can benefit from having the training. It's just how much will I gain from a B&S instructor. I already have a conflict, as I have been studying the manual, practicing with the software, and utilizing the machine to the best of my knowledge at this time. However, there is another individual within our dept, who wants to sit in the training( not that I don't want someone else to learn ). I was planning on one on one instruction. Now , all the stuff that I have learned from you people , as well as what I have learned on my own will have to be repeated by the instructor, as this individual is not fluent in layout inspection, nor pc understanding. It would appear that all the time of catching some one up on what is aready learned will cut down on what could be obtained by the already familiar individual.
    It may not end up that way, but I have read alot of posts from you people, and I wonder.
    The good thing is: I am getting some training. I'll probably still be asking questions to you people after the instructor leaves, but that's how we teach each other the knowledge.
    All comments will be appreciated. On a lighter note: There will always be free beer and food at my house, if your in my neck of the woods.
    Thanks again.

B&S "One"
    Dmis-Cad
    Version4.1
    I don't feel tardy!sigpic
    B&S "One" V4.2
    Discovery D-12 V4.2

Sounds like you are making head way. the only thing have to say is this, the person that is going to sit in is not computer literate? That is one of the prerequisites for the basic training class. You should get a copy of that and show your boss. You will be wasting valuable time just trying to explain the computer to this person.

GO HERE for the requirements
    Last edited by JamesMannes; 06-25-2007, 09:14 PM.
    sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Bump
      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Glad the bean counters and you and your boss got something worked out. I'm with James, if you don't think they can keep up, try hard to not have them in 'class'. If as you say they aren't familiar with computers or with even inspection it will be a waste of your time, the instructor's time and their time.

On the flip side, (this is no reflection of my opinion of you - very high after the free food and beer offer ) it may not be so bad to have another person in with you. It may be they come up with questions you didn't think to ask. It also may be good to have the instructor start from the beginning b/c you may have missed something important or a shortcut in your self learning.

I guess, if you decide they would benefit from the class or can't get them out of it, try to make it clear to the instructor and this other person that you want to move as fast as you are capable of. Tell the instructor off the bat what you have already taught yourself and that you would like to quickly skim over that and then move on to the stuff you aren't sure of and the new stuff. Try to emphasise that they are there to 'sit in' and pick up what they can without slowing down the class.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
          Glad the bean counters and you and your boss got something worked out. I'm with James, if you don't think they can keep up, try hard to not have them in 'class'. If as you say they aren't familiar with computers or with even inspection it will be a waste of your time, the instructor's time and their time.

On the flip side, (this is no reflection of my opinion of you - very high after the free food and beer offer ) it may not be so bad to have another person in with you. It may be they come up with questions you didn't think to ask. It also may be good to have the instructor start from the beginning b/c you may have missed something important or a shortcut in your self learning.

I guess, if you decide they would benefit from the class or can't get them out of it, try to make it clear to the instructor and this other person that you want to move as fast as you are capable of. Tell the instructor off the bat what you have already taught yourself and that you would like to quickly skim over that and then move on to the stuff you aren't sure of and the new stuff. Try to emphasise that they are there to 'sit in' and pick up what they can without slowing down the class.
          Goodluck,
          You have some very good points there.
          sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Goodluck with your onsite training. If you are just getting the basic training, the instructor will be reluctant to go into too much detail.
            I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
            PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
            PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec View Post
              Goodluck with your onsite training. If you are just getting the basic training, the instructor will be reluctant to go into too much detail.
              The way I would look at it:

1) YOU ARE paying for teh on-site training
              2) YOU OWN that install of Pcdmis
              3) THEY should TRAIN you in what you WANT them to train you in.

The ON-SITE training 'course' should be completly, 100% controlled BY THE CUSTOMER as to what is covered in the course.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

One suggestion, if you don't care that the other person will be in training, why not bring him/her up to speed before the instructor gets there. This way you will not have to go thru that little learning curve also if that person fails to grasp the whole thing, then you can go to your boss and tell him/her that this person will be a hinderance to the training or that that person can come in but ask no questions.
                sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

I've seen this in the past with other software that the other person there has no clue. What i've done is let them sit in and when they get so overwhelmed with the info they are receiving alot of the time they loose interest. But if they insist on staying inform them that training is for you and if they have any questions hold them till the end. You need to take charge of the classes

Also write questions,problems in advance......
                  sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
                    One suggestion, if you don't care that the other person will be in training, why not bring him/her up to speed before the instructor gets there. This way you will not have to go thru that little learning curve also if that person fails to grasp the whole thing, then you can go to your boss and tell him/her that this person will be a hinderance to the training or that that person can come in but ask no questions.
                    That is a good point Paul. I was going to suggest that but forgot so I concede the credit for the idea to you.

Comment

Originally posted by bw_bob View Post

Also write questions,problems in advance......
                      That too is a good idea. It would be awesome if you could write down some things in particular and get the list to the instructor before he arrives at your facility. That way, he has some idea of where you are and what you hope to get out of the class.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                        That is a good point Paul. I was going to suggest that but forgot so I concede the credit for the idea to you.

Thank you, Humbly accecpted

Comment

Well now........I have hot wings, burgers, steak kobobs,oysters,clams,cold beer on ice, as well as your choice of top shelf if you like! All orders must be placed in advance though
                          Thanks for all the input everyone. The problem I have with the other individuals wanting to sit in on the class isn't really their skill level of sorts, they just don't have the time to come to the machine and learn anything that I have so far. Typical quality dept.: We are overhead!
                          Understanding dialog boxes, drop down menus, are part of learningwhere to go to get things performed on the cmm, but alot of these guy's don't really work with the pc that much, other than canned programs of such, which don't require alot of knowledge ( i.e filling out an NCT, excell inspection report, etc.)
                          I will work with my peers as much as they would like, but I will not let them slow down my learning curve,as it will be large enough as it is.
                          As far as the instructor goes: I was e-mailed a letter from B&S stating the instructor would send an e-mail outlining what he is going to train us on.
                          Well, like alot of you have already indicated, he is going to listen to me first!
                          I will explain what I know and demonstrate a few things for him/her. Then, I am sure they will make the determination of where to start. Oh yes, I have accumulated a plethera of questions I want answered.
                          They ain't leaving till I get some good answers. I think running through the basics is a good thing anyway. I'm sure I have missed some stuff.
                          It will be a learning experience for all. Fortunately, the boss let's me play on the machine as much as I want, so I am learning some things from trial and error. Thanks again for all the input and help from you people. This site is really a great source for learning.
                          I don't feel tardy!sigpic
                          B&S "One" V4.2
                          Discovery D-12 V4.2

Comment

1CMM4ME, the name alone shows me you don't like to share! One more bit of advice,use the search box up on top, many questions have already been explored. This is not to say don't ask us, as we will happily give you all the help you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
                              1CMM4ME, the name alone shows me you don't like to share! One more bit of advice,use the search box up on top, many questions have already been explored. This is not to say don't ask us, as we will happily give you all the help you need.
                              And furthermore, if you post a question, try to make the subject line as specific to the problem as possible because once you post you can scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see that the forum has generated a list of similar threads for you to look at while waiting for someone to reply.

Good luck, hang in there, and stay well lubricated!
                              sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment