Laser Scanners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser Scanners

Need some opinions about laser scanners. We're looking at some but have no idea what to expect as far as accuracy. How comparible to a analog probe or TTP or anything else you can warn me about. NEED OPINIONS

Accurate? Ha! The only usefull scanners use dedicated tables, and decent software. scanworks is good. Lemme remeber the other one that is good too. BRB.

G
    sigpic

Comment

We are looking into a METRON table based laser scanner. What I have seen looks pretty good. we have had Metris and Perceptron(CMM and/or articulated arm) here also.
      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

The following is just my opinion...

Our engineering department decided they needed one. They didn't include me or anyone else in quality in the decision making process. In fact we have two engineering groups here (consumer and contractor) and they didn't include the other engineering group in the decision either. We (quality and the other engineering group) didn't even know they had purchased one until it was delivered and they realized they needed some floorspace. I'm a little bitter about that. Gee, lets buy a measuring machine and not ask the opinion of the guy who does all our measuring and might know something about it or at least point us in the right direction.

Here are my issues with it...

It is a laser head connected to a manual CMM. That means, scanning a part (depending on the part) can take hours. Then, if they need to scan another part, guess what? They'll spend the same amount of time scanning another one. To give you an idea, I sat down one morning with a machined casting to inspect on our touch trigger cmm. The guy who was trained to run the laser scanner sat down with the same part. I wrote a program (checking about 90 dimensions) and ran three parts in about 4 hours. The guy with the laser scanner ran 1 part in the same time period. Actually, he SCANNED one part - he needed more time to dimension and report. If he needed to run two more that would have been another 8 hours of work.

I'm not too thrilled with the reporting. It makes nice colorized reports (green is in tol., shades of red = over tol, shades of blue = under tol.) fairly quickly. Management will ooh and aah over them but as far as giving hard data (the dia is..., the distance from here to here is...) you could spend quite a bit of time dimensioning. I'm not a fan of the color coded reports as I am red-green color blind so I can't tell the difference between the color that say was used for .002 over nominal and the color that was used for .012 over nominal.

Ok, now the nice thing to say about it... If you have parts that have complex curves, I can see where a laser scanner would be very valuable.

They are not replacements for a traditional CMM! You will never be able to measure a .250 diameter bore which is 3 inches down inside a 1 inch diameter bore with a laser scanner. You can do that quite easily with a traditional cmm if you have the correct tips/extensions.

Comment

ShapeGrabber® AI810 Inspection System is what I feel could possibly supplement a CMM. Nothing yet can replace a CMM with Pc-Dmis, but a programmable 3D scanning system can "screen" parts faster.

G
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
            We are looking into a METRON table based laser scanner. What I have seen looks pretty good. we have had Metris and Perceptron(CMM and/or articulated arm) here also.
            We are looking at Metron too. Looks real good for scanning knees we make. Very compatable with our polished surfaces. Accuracy looks acceptable compared to point scanning.
            Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
            Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mile Loveland View Post
              Need some opinions about laser scanners. We're looking at some but have no idea what to expect as far as accuracy. How comparible to a analog probe or TTP or anything else you can warn me about. NEED OPINIONS

What are you going to use it for?
              sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

We have 2 Metris LC50's that mount to our PH10MQ's. We are predominately an aluminum injection mold maker...they work great for us.

1. Most of our new prints list core and datum locations only. They cover the rest with a profile tolerance to a A-B-C datum structure back to CAD with a minimum point density / in2.

2. Most of the scanning that we do has a profile tolerance of .04...Laser scanner is great for this

3. From the results that I get..I am looking at about +/-.0015 from PC-DMIS to the Laser scanner.

4. We are using Metris' Scan software, and Metris Focus Inspection. I believe that they just came out with a packahge that combines the 2.

5. If you are looking to use it to check hole locations...dont bother in my opinion . . great for 3d surfaces.

Tim
                sigpic
                "You cant vote 'present' as the President of the United States"

Comment