Scanning without CAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanning without CAD

How do I set up a linear open scan without CAD?
    Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
    Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

After you do you alignment, turn on your DCC, then just hit on part where you want to start, then hit again for direction and finally hit where you want it to end. You should square up your part to the table first for best results. I also will turn of the axis I am going in on my hand held joystick.
    sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
      After you do you alignment, turn on your DCC, the just hit on part where you want to start, then hit again for direction and finally hit where you want it to end. You should square up your part to the table first for best results. I also will turn of the axis I am going in on my hand held joystick.
      Once you are done with what Paula said go and clean up your cut vector stuff (make it 0,1,0 or whatever you vector may be). This will allow the scan to stay on path at one value. Make sense?
      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
        Once you are done with what Paula said go and clean up your cut vector stuff (make it 0,1,0 or whatever you vector may be). This will allow the scan to stay on path at one value. Make sense?
        If you are doing your scan in what should be XY only, change the start, direction and end touch values to a common Z value, set all the vectors to 0,0,1 or 0,1,0 or 1,0,0, make them all 'prefect' vectors. I have seen linear scans 'drift' is the plane values in the touches are not the same as well as if the vectors are not all square. It will 'adjust' the approach vectors to match the profile it scans, so start them all 'perfect' as well.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Thanks guys (and you too Paula). Really it is setting it up the same as from CAD but you take the start, direction and end points with the probe. Sounds easy enough.
          Contura Calypso 5.4

Comment

Tried and it only took 4 points across the surface and it is only about 25° of 170° total arc I picked. I have tried to alter my settings but no luck. I am using a open linear scan with points to be taken every .050" (arc length should be about .75"). Projection is on the working plane.

Should I be using one of the other scan options? Section? Basic line?
            Contura Calypso 5.4

Comment

Originally posted by dwade View Post
              Tried and it only took 4 points across the surface and it is only about 25° of 170° total arc I picked. I have tried to alter my settings but no luck. I am using a open linear scan with points to be taken every .050" (arc length should be about .75"). Projection is on the working plane.

Should I be using one of the other scan options? Section? Basic line?
              OK, sounds like you need to change the boundary, either the TYPE or the number of CROSSINGS. If your linear OPEN scan crosses back over the start point in going around the profile, it will stop when 1 of the 2 axis meet the end point criteria. For example, scanning 270 degrees of a circle, it will stop at 180 degrees because ONE of the values is met. You can change the # of corssings to 2 and it will go until 2 of the numbers match. Depending on where you picked your start point, I could see it stopping after only 25 degrees. Now, IF you have set the Z axis to a common value (XY scan), you may even need to set it to 3 since the Z axis will be the same all along the scan. You might need to change it from PLANE to one of the other boundary types as well. Linear CLOSED automatically goes to a 2 crossing, PLANE boundary, so that should work for the linear open that corsses back over itself.
              sigpic
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Thanks. I'll give a try shortly and let you know how it comes out.
                Contura Calypso 5.4

Comment

Thanks Matt. One direction boundary is 1 and the other directino boundary is 2. Works like a charm.
                  Contura Calypso 5.4

Comment

Originally posted by dwade View Post
                    Thanks Matt. One direction boundary is 1 and the other directino boundary is 2. Works like a charm.
                    No problemo.
                    sigpic

Comment