I Am Never Installing Another Piece Of Software From Hexagon Ever AGAIN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Am Never Installing Another Piece Of Software From Hexagon Ever AGAIN!

[rant]Anybody remember about a month ago I asked a question about getting the "your SMA has expired please contact your software supplier" message to go away? Well, I contacted B&S and was sent a file to 'update the portlock' Well, it seems it did a little more than just update the portlock.

1) It put a pc-dmis background in the pc-dmis window when there is not a program open - no big deal, I can live with it even though I don't particularly care for it.

2) Never, never, never before installing this 'portlock upgrade' had I ever (did I stress this has never happened?) had a probe file get corrupted. Now, I have had one probe file in particular turn up corrupted 5 times in the last week! It seems like any time a program that uses this probe is opened, the probe magically doesn't work and I have to refresh from the backup. Now, I know that it is odd that it is the same probe file (suggests it may be something with that probe file in particular) but this file has existed for many years without trouble until I installed the 'portlock upgrade'.

3) All of us have experienced the changing toolbars have we not? Now, we all know that the solution is to save a windows layout and then if they move we can activate that toolbar (if necessary), click on our icon and bam, they are back to where we want them. Well, since installing the 'portlock upgrade' this is no longer a solution. Whenever my toolbars move around now, it also corrupts my windows layout file so I can't just one click them back to where I had them. Now, I'm going to have to start backing up my windows layout as well and when my toolbars move, I have to go and restore from the backup prior to recalling my windows layout.

I'm sick of it. I don't care if they come out with a completely bug free release that is so sophisticated that all you do is bring the part anywhere near the machine and it will measure it without any other programming, I'm not going to install it.

I have no clue if my CMM measures things correctly. Sure, my 'golden part' measures the same now as it did before the 'portlock upgrade' but the program for that doesn't have every concievable measurement situation to test the CMM. Maybe the 'golden part' is the only part that has ever measured correctly. ****, maybe it doesn't even measure correctly but just consistently. I've never checked it with traditional methods.

I'm done - [/rant]

I remember that window telling me my SMA expired. I ignored it and it went away. If only everything that anoyed me was like that. I think it only does it for a little while. People that actually fall for it and contact Hexagon with a fix are sent a worm that goes through your PC and systematically destroys things that PCDMIS needs to run properly. The only fix requires an up-to-date SMA.
    <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

All hail the great and powerful SMA........I have built a shrine and do sacrafices once a week to appease the all knowing

That sucks for you though....
      sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
        [rant]Anybody remember about a month ago I asked a question about getting the "your SMA has expired please contact your software supplier" message to go away? Well, I contacted B&S and was sent a file to 'update the portlock' Well, it seems it did a little more than just update the portlock.

1) It put a pc-dmis background in the pc-dmis window when there is not a program open - no big deal, I can live with it even though I don't particularly care for it.

2) Never, never, never before installing this 'portlock upgrade' had I ever (did I stress this has never happened?) had a probe file get corrupted. Now, I have had one probe file in particular turn up corrupted 5 times in the last week! It seems like any time a program that uses this probe is opened, the probe magically doesn't work and I have to refresh from the backup. Now, I know that it is odd that it is the same probe file (suggests it may be something with that probe file in particular) but this file has existed for many years without trouble until I installed the 'portlock upgrade'.

3) All of us have experienced the changing toolbars have we not? Now, we all know that the solution is to save a windows layout and then if they move we can activate that toolbar (if necessary), click on our icon and bam, they are back to where we want them. Well, since installing the 'portlock upgrade' this is no longer a solution. Whenever my toolbars move around now, it also corrupts my windows layout file so I can't just one click them back to where I had them. Now, I'm going to have to start backing up my windows layout as well and when my toolbars move, I have to go and restore from the backup prior to recalling my windows layout.

I'm sick of it. I don't care if they come out with a completely bug free release that is so sophisticated that all you do is bring the part anywhere near the machine and it will measure it without any other programming, I'm not going to install it.

I have no clue if my CMM measures things correctly. Sure, my 'golden part' measures the same now as it did before the 'portlock upgrade' but the program for that doesn't have every concievable measurement situation to test the CMM. Maybe the 'golden part' is the only part that has ever measured correctly. ****, maybe it doesn't even measure correctly but just consistently. I've never checked it with traditional methods.

I'm done - [/rant]
        Wow! So dude, do you feel better now.
        sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sarrach View Post
          Wow! So dude, do you feel better now.
          No, not until about 3:45 when I can drink some beer will I feel better.

Comment

We let our SMA expire over a year ago, due to similar frustrations with "software updates". We are currently using 3.7MR2, not that that is the best version, but at least we know the work arounds. Tried a couple of newer versions and kept going back to the 3.7MR2. Seemed like as one thing got fixed, one or more went in the crapper.

Anyway, after a year, we still get the message that our contract has expired...

Comment

I don't want to hijack this thread so....
              I'm sorry about your port lock problems, I'm sure the intelligent techinicians at brown and sharpe have an answer for your delimea. If you call tech support with your sma #...

G-
              Ps.
              sigpic

Comment

Are you sure this isn't an issue with scroll lock????
                Just kidding Goodluck, trying to make you laugh.
                When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                sigpic

Comment

I've noticed our Globals take the upgrades better than the PFX. A lot more messing around to just get it to take the upgrade. Chances are there was something in there for the 4.2 upgrade that is messing it up. You might as well upgrade right now to 4.2.

Now back to the hijack.

Chances are she's Catholic. You might want to check as I hear they are starting to deport us.
                  sigpicOn the Obama Express. Next stop, the soup line.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                    maybe it doesn't even measure correctly but just consistently. I've never checked it with traditional methods.
                    CMM's only measure consistently, there is always a degree of uncertainty! The only way a CMM is correct is if we are correct in our application of the CMM.

Perhaps this uncertainty is built into their programming!?

Comment

Originally posted by QC Rick View Post
                      CMM's only measure consistently, there is always a degree of uncertainty! The only way a CMM is correct is if we are correct in our application of the CMM.

http://re3.mm-a7.yimg.com/image/3697129791
                      Why, certianly!

g
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by QC Rick View Post

Yes, there is a degree of uncertainty in everthing. What I was trying to say is maybe the dimension on my 'golden part' is actually 1.000 but the cmm has consistently measured it as 1.010. Since I have not measured it with traditional methods, I do not know it is incorrect. Now, I can say that the 'golden part' measured the same today as it did the day after the machine was 'calibrated' so it should be good.

I was trying to express my distrust in PC-DMIS that what it does right this minute might not be the same as what it does 15 minutes from now. PC-DMIS has a history of crashing, changing things when not expected, doing strange things and then magically being fixed after a re-boot, etc, etc, etc. Can I trust it???

Well, I have to trust it because there are many many parts that would be very difficult to measure using traditional methods. If I did not use the CMM, there would need to be 3 of me to keep up with all my work.

Comment

Hmm, what happened to the rest of the thread?

Comment

Got deleted due to the language of bw_bob
                            I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
                            PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
                            PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec View Post
                              Got deleted due to the language of bw_bob

sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment