Surface profile from CAD model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surface profile from CAD model

Using a CAD model to do a perimeter scan on a surface for profile. It's coming out bad

I have the settings set to:

Exec Controls - Defined
    Nominals Method - FINDNOMS
    Hit Controls - Vectors

Am I missing something? Shouldn't the CAD model give me the nominals? My part is aligned to the CAD model. I did not use CAD=Part and "find nominals" is not turned on in setup.
    I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
    PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
    PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

NOMINAL METHOD = MASTER
    EXECUTE = NORMAL (you do not want re-learn)

Once you select the boundaries, click on GENERATE (finds all the noms and vectors from the cad model) before you click on create (with measure un-marked). These are the commands/options from V3.7 MR3, you will have to figure out what they match in V4.1
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec View Post
      Using a CAD model to do a perimeter scan on a surface for profile. It's coming out bad

I have the settings set to:

Exec Controls - Defined
      Nominals Method - FINDNOMS
      Hit Controls - Vectors

Am I missing something? Shouldn't the CAD model give me the nominals? My part is aligned to the CAD model. I did not use CAD=Part and "find nominals" is not turned on in setup.
      How bad is bad? Maybe it is bad? You did choose the CAD surfaces to include in your scan correct? I don't remember if multiple surfaces can be chosen in 3.7.
      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
        NOMINAL METHOD = MASTER
        EXECUTE = NORMAL (you do not want re-learn)

Once you select the boundaries, click on GENERATE (finds all the noms and vectors from the cad model) before you click on create (with measure un-marked). These are the commands/options from V3.7 MR3, you will have to figure out what they match in V4.1

Do not set to "master" unless you want that first piece you measure to be the nominal values from that scan on. When using CAd you should always "Nominals" or "Find Nominals". "Nominals" and "Find Nominals" do almost the same thing. Use "Find Nominals" when your piece may not be real close to nominal and use "Nominals" when you expect the piece to be relatively close to nominals. I know that's a screwy way to look at it but that is how Jonathan Dove (BNS scanning guru Elgin.Ill) explained it to me when he paid us a visit for some scanning issues with earlier versions.

As far as "Relearn" and "Normal" goes, if using an SP600 choose "Relearn" so as not to "stitch scan" your part. Use "Normal" if you want to "stitch scan" your part.
        Last edited by JamesMannes; 06-25-2007, 11:35 AM.
        sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

When MASTER is selected from the Nominals list, PC-DMIS will consider the measured data obtained the first time the scan is being learned as nominal data. Subsequent executions of this scan will be compared with this measured data. When MASTER is used with a DCC scan and Normal Mode is selected from the Execute list, PC-DMIS will execute a Stitch-type scan using the measured data.

That's not what I want is it?

PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
          PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
            Do not set to "master" unless you want that first piece you measure to be the nominal values from that scan on. When using CAd you should always "Nominlas" or "Find Nominals". "Nominals" and "Find Nominals" do almost the same thing. Use "Find Nominals" when your piece may not be real close to nominal and use "Nominals" when you expect the piece to be relatively close to nominals. I know that's a screwy way to look at it but that is how Jonathan Dove (BNS scanning guru Elgin.Ill) explained it to me when he paid us a visit for some scanning issues with ealier versions
            That is taken care of when you follow my directions, click on GENERATE and CREATE without MEASURING. Then all your nominals are cad master data.
            sigpic
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
              That is taken care of when you follow my directions, click on GENERATE and CREATE without MEASURING. Then all your nominals are cad master data.
              Ok, I'll accept that. Once again The Hoedeman is correct.
              sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
                Ok, I'll accept that. Once again The Hoedeman is correct.
                No problem. Of course, those are directions for TTP, I have no idea what you would want for one of the continuous contact scanner heads.
                sigpic

Comment

Alright tried what matt said. Now the surface profile is perfect (0.0000) Something isn't right.

PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
                  PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Alright tried what matt said. Now the surface profile is perfect (0.0000) Something isn't right.
                    Well, it WILL be perfect, until you execute it. AND, you may have to re-ID the dimension as well (re-type in the feature ID).
                    sigpic

Comment

Correct workplane? Had to ask...... No insult intended

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Johnston View Post
                        Correct workplane? Had to ask...... No insult intended
                        Workplane has no effect on the "3-D" features, basically, anything in the CTRL-F menu (auto features) and anything in the DCC Scan menu.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yes I already executed it. And it's showing 0 deviation.

PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
                          PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Yes I already executed it. And it's showing 0 deviation.
                            Did you execute it (CTRL-Q) or did you execute it (CTRL-E)?

Did you try re-entering the feature ID in the dimension?

Did you try saving the program, close it, and re-open it?

Are you using the TTP or a continuous contact method?

(I already know you are a 4-head!)
                            sigpic

Comment

I used CTRL-E on the feature. And i set it to defined for continous contact. I have a SP600.

PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
                              PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment