Autosave On / Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autosave On / Off

We use Autosave On. It has saved some time with code loss due to power outage (I know - buy an UPS). It has also saved code on crashes (I know - save, save, save). But, it has served us pretty well so far except for a sticky mess with Save As with Autosave On. However, some have expressed a distaste for it and I am wondering if I am not putting myself in peril by using it / relying on it. Is it just a matter of taste / habit or are there some real caveats associated with its use?
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Bill Jarrells
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Well, I for one don't use it. Why? well, I never actually found it helped me out any. I can't recall a single time when it was turned on that I actually was able to salvage something because of the autosave.

I turned it off because I have my programs marked 'read-only' and autosave didn't like that because you have to 'quit' the program instead of 'close' the program. When you 'quit' without saving, the autosave file doesn't get deleted and you get a prompt next time you open the program (confuses the operator).

I got in the habit early on of doing a ctrl+s after almost any change to the program.

Comment

Not sure how it works on the newer versions, but I find the autosave makes it difficult to recover things. I leave it on, in case I forget to save. I have found a "workaround" for my dislike of it. Before trying to open the file, I look for the autosave, rename it the same as the original (with an "A" at the end). Then I can open both and determine which on I want. But, I save so often that it isn't an issue anymore. Save, save, save.
      When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by John Kingston View Post
        Not sure how it works on the newer versions, but I find the autosave makes it difficult to recover things. I leave it on, in case I forget to save. I have found a "workaround" for my dislike of it. Before trying to open the file, I look for the autosave, rename it the same as the original (with an "A" at the end). Then I can open both and determine which on I want. But, I save so often that it isn't an issue anymore. Save, save, save.
        I do what John does only I use a -1 at the end of the program name. Remember if you change the name in the C drive you have to go in and manualy change the name at the top left of the program header or your data page will not work correctly. Save save Save
        sigpicRegards,
        Donald Henger
        B&S Micro Excel Pfx
        3.5mr2 & 3.7mr3
        PHH10MQ, TP20 & TP2
        Country Rocks,But Bluegrass RULES!!!

Comment

I used to use it.. found it just as easy to hit ctrl s .. once in the habbit its second nature
          sigpic
          if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

Originally posted by T Miller View Post
            I used to use it.. found it just as easy to hit ctrl s .. once in the habbit its second nature
            So if we actually looked at your keystrokes it would look like this...

Originally posted by T Miller View Post
            I ctrl+s used ctrl+s to ctrl+s use ctrl+s it.. ctrl+s found ctrl+s it ctrl+s just ctrl+s as ctrl+s easy ctrl+s to ctrl+s hit ctrl+s ctrl s.. ctrl+s once ctrl+s in ctrl+s the ctrl+s habbit ctrl+s its ctrl+s second ctrl+s nature. ctrl+s

Comment

3 keys that should have the lettering worn off of them: Ctrl, S, and F1.

You'll be on the off topic side a lot more often if you use those keys frequently.
              <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

I don't use the autosave at all. We don't use operator mode, so I don't want anything accidently saved by the night inspector. I keep control over all programs and if they select close instead of quit. It shows up in the date modified on the c: drive. I check all directorys daily for unwanted saves. Call me anal but If they find something wrong with a program they leave me a note as to what they did or I delete any changes they may have made.
                I have found that it is to easy to get some code in the program that you don't want.
                Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

Never..........Like eating quiche
                  sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

I try to take my time when I eat...lol
                    sigpic
                    if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

I personally dislike autosave, but I am used to saving frequently.
                      Some people here keep turning it on.
                      I believe it bogs down the system sometimes when you need your system resources the most.
                      I believe it increases the chance of getting a corrupt file when it saves needlessly and the power goes during the save (has happened more than once here when I forgot to turn it off because someone turned it on again)

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
                        3 keys that should have the lettering worn off of them: Ctrl, S, and F1.

You'll be on the off topic side a lot more often if you use those keys frequently.
                        I am with craiger, I never use it, I do save as from time to time when I am trying something different out
                        sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

The only autosave I use is the habitual cntrl+s....

Comment

I don't

I don't use AutoSave.

I don't make duplicate copies of my part programs. I don't store my part programs on the network. I don't use Operator Mode, voluntarily.

I don't share a system with a coworker. I don't give out my password. I don’t have to ask an IT person for permission. I don’t delete work related email.

I don’t install programs on my PC out of curiosity. I don't get PC viruses. I don't have problems with SPAM. I don't struggle with power outages. I don't hate Microsoft.

It's no wonder they keep asking me "Are you going to do something today?"
                            sigpic

For a moment, I thought that I was wrong, but I was clearly mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by stgeorgevi View Post
                              I don't use AutoSave.

I don't make duplicate copies of my part programs. I don't store my part programs on the network. I don't use Operator Mode, voluntarily.

I don't share a system with a coworker. I don't give out my password. I don’t have to ask an IT person for permission. I don’t delete work related email.

I don’t install programs on my PC out of curiosity. I don't get PC viruses. I don't have problems with SPAM. I don't struggle with power outages. I don't hate Microsoft.

It's no wonder they keep asking me "Are you going to do something today?"
                              Sounds like you'll be a demi-guru in no time at all...
                              sigpic
                              Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
                              PCDMIS 2012
                              Windows Office XP

Comment