Geometric Tolerance - Profile of a Surface direction seems incorrect.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geometric Tolerance - Profile of a Surface direction seems incorrect.

I have a part with a unilateral profile of a surface tolerance. The CAD graphic is showing that the part is out of tolerance externally. Mechanical measurements confirm that the part has more material than nominal. The geometric tolerance report label is showing the part out of tolerance internally. Is there a reason for this discrepancy, or am I not reading the report properly?

Perhaps you can pitch in neil.challinor

image.png

image.png

Mechanical ? Are they just measuring the size ? This would be size and location. That can change a few things.

Comment

• JacobCheverie
      JacobCheverie commented
      Editing a comment
      We're checking true profile (location, orientation, form).

If I get something like this, to be sure pc dmis check the profile right, I check the box T-value to see the distance between the actual points & the CAD points.

Comment

Would the (U) throw you off here, perhaps?
      The text report is reporting the offset from (U) 0.05 and the CAD graphic showing from nominal?
      PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o22.2 SP2

Comment

JacobCheverie are you able to send me the program so that I can investigate?
        Neil Challinor
        PC-DMIS Product Owner

T: +44 870 446 2667 (Hexagon UK office)
        E: [email protected]

Comment

• neil.challinor
          neil.challinor commented
          Editing a comment
          JacobCheverie I received the files you sent but there was only a .prb and a .cad - no .prg?

• JacobCheverie
          JacobCheverie commented
          Editing a comment
          neil.challinor that is odd. I'll try to resend the PRG file this morning.

• JacobCheverie
          JacobCheverie commented
          Editing a comment
          neil.challinor I just sent the .PRG file. Please let me know if you do not receive it. Thank you.

Hi JacobCheverie, I took a look at your routine and found the problem. The CAD vectors for the surfaces relating to your profiles were inverted. Because, by default, the geometric tolerance command turns on iterate and re-pierce when reporting profile, your deviations appeared inverted (because it was finding the incorrect, nominal CAD vector). If you fix the CAD vectors and then toggle iterate & re-pierce off and back on again, it will correct the error.
        Neil Challinor
        PC-DMIS Product Owner

T: +44 870 446 2667 (Hexagon UK office)
        E: [email protected]

Comment

• JacobCheverie
          JacobCheverie commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Neil, I didn't even think to check that. I appreciate it.