Measuring the angle of a cone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring the angle of a cone.

I have a cone, I need to measure its angle, the breakout diameter to Z0, and its breakout depth to a hole at the bottom of the cone.

How should I accomplish this?

Thanx
    PC-DMIS FOR CMM 4.1
    SHEFFIELD DISCOVERY II

First create your alignment.
    Measure the cone.
    Dimension the Cone. "A" is the included angle. Using variable and various methods of dimensioning you can report the angle of one side. There are a number of threads detailing that.
    Construct a circle from the cone, at a Z=0 location. Dimension the circle, "D" will be the diameter you need.
    Measure the hole as a cylinder. Construct a circle at the intersection of the cone and circle. Dimension "Z" for that circle.

Hope that helps, I'm at home and can't post an example.

Here is one example I posted in another thread.

Scroll to the bottom of this page and you will see other threads discussing cones.
    Last edited by John Kingston; 06-13-2007, 08:10 PM.
    When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
    sigpic

Comment

Also, FYI, if you don't have enough clearance at the bottom or top of a cone to measure a cylinder to intersect it with...

Measure the cone (con1 in code below), measure a circle (cir2 in code below) in the bore that it intersects. Go to construct a circle. Down near the bottom select cone. A couple of drop down boxes appear. Select diameter in the top one. Enter a number in the middle one and click ok. A circle will be created where the cone's diameter is equal to the number you entered (cir3 in code below) Now, in the edit window place your cursor somewhere in the theo line. Tab to the diameter and enter cir2.d. Now, a circle will be created where your cone's diameter is equal to your circle's diameter (the intersection point).

Change this...
      Code:
      CIR3       =FEAT/CIRCLE,RECT,OUT
                  THEO/0,0,-0.0734,0,0,1,1.564
                  ACTL/0.0004,0,-0.1194,0.0008703,0.0013088,0.9999988,0.3819
                  CONSTR/CIRCLE,CONE,CON1,DIAMETER
      To this...
      Code:
      CIR3       =FEAT/CIRCLE,RECT,OUT
                  THEO/0,0,-0.0734,0,0,1,cir2.d
                  ACTL/0.0004,0,-0.1194,0.0008703,0.0013088,0.9999988,0.3819
                  CONSTR/CIRCLE,CONE,CON1,DIAMETER
      And viola, you have your circle at the intersection without measuring a cylinder.
      Last edited by #2#; 06-15-2007, 11:29 AM.

Comment

That is cool Goodluck. I never thought of that. Unavailable rep points to you!
        When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
        sigpic

Comment

Goodruck,
          Good pointer! Have you ever been able to intersect the cylinder of a through hole with a cone to find the depth of the chamfer cone?? I havent and I use your method for that.
          Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

I need to measure the angle of a chamfer along large circumference ring. I heard you can use a cone function for this but don't know how to apply it. Can anyone help?

Attached Files

Comment

• Douglas
              Douglas commented
              Editing a comment
              if you mean the 110° included cone angle it is the A in the dimension box for cones

• Douglas
              Douglas commented
              Editing a comment
              also replying to 12 year old threads is probably not the best way to begin... but I guess today it got ya there

Cones can easily report either included angle or half angle, included angle is A, click the half angle box for half angle to be reported Capture3.JPG

Comment

From the core manual, auto features, if it's what you're looking for...

Diameter box :
              This box is only available for these auto features: Circle, Cylinder, Sphere, Cone, Polygon
              The Diameter box defines the diameter of the feature. In the case of a stud, the diameter box displays the nominal, user supplied value.
              For a cone, this value represents the nominal diameter at the end of the cone where you've defined the X,Y, and Z location.

Cone
              The Length box displays the length of the cone.
              A positive Length value indicates that the centroid is toward the cone's tip (the end of the cone feature that has the smaller diameter).
              A negative Length value indicates that the centroid is toward the cone's base (the end of the cone feature that has the larger diameter).

• The vector of the cone points away from its apex.

Hope this helps...
              Last edited by JEFMAN; 09-24-2019, 03:21 AM.

Comment