Persistent Internal Rewrites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persistent Internal Rewrites

Has anybody else noticed or had problems with PC DMIS rewriting code? I use 3.73 and there are a handful of occasions where PC DMIS will rewrite code. It will change Planes from Radial to Square. It will change the way it evaluates a feature (such as change round features to MAX INSCribe or MIN Circumference). These rewrites are persistent. I correct them and they come back.
    Is there something I can do to eliminate this from happening? Maybe a switch is on somewhere that should not be? Anything.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Bill Jarrells
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Prior to 3.7 MR3 it would change auto planes from radial to square. It was fixed for 3.7 MR3. I have not had it happen since upgrading to MR3. Is this program maybe being opened on a machine which still has a previous version?

I have not noticed the changes you are seeing in circular features.

Comment

I have problems with variable references in comments. They will change from the variable to the literal value. Also if my dimension nominal does not match my feature nominal something will change, that is a garuntee. I see that hitting the enter key in report mode still to this very day inserts a report comment in the program. It has done that for as long as I can remember I'm surprised that remains unfixed. I have programs with 200 lines of comments from my monkeys hitting the enter key in report mode. I had one program that kept bogging the PC down everytime it was ran. Someone told me about it and I took a look at it and there was probably 1,500 comments. My monkeys and Wilcox make quite a team.

I have conceded to living with it.
      <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

OK, the persistent rewrites for the round features and others not mentioned are from Programs that have come back from the Dark Side (4.2). Those are persistently Fubar. I would not trust an export form 4.2 EVEN IF it were just a program to give to somebody that uses the older version. They will never get them to work correctly and will not thank you for them - LOL
        Bill Jarrells
        A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
          I have problems with variable references in comments. They will change from the variable to the literal value. Also if my dimension nominal does not match my feature nominal something will change, that is a garuntee. I see that hitting the enter key in report mode still to this very day inserts a report comment in the program. It has done that for as long as I can remember I'm surprised that remains unfixed. I have programs with 200 lines of comments from my monkeys hitting the enter key in report mode. I had one program that kept bogging the PC down everytime it was ran. Someone told me about it and I took a look at it and there was probably 1,500 comments. My monkeys and Wilcox make quite a team.

I have conceded to living with it.
          One man's ceiling.....
          I find this aspect of report mode extremely valuable. In fact it is one of the main reasons I will not use 4.x for programming. I use 4.2 for importing the latest version of Catia V5 files.
          Lately, it occurs to me
          What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

Originally posted by John Riggins View Post
            One man's ceiling.....
            I find this aspect of report mode extremely valuable. In fact it is one of the main reasons I will not use 4.x for programming. I use 4.2 for importing the latest version of Catia V5 files.
            Not sure what you mean. Maybe I didn't understand the OP, I thought he was complaining aabout programs that change out of the blue (as if PCDMIS rewrites certain areas of code such as my variable thing). I use 3.207 beta and 3.7MR3 accross the board. My SMA expired on 4.0 and there is no way I am going to use that. These problems I have are straight up programs, not ones that I saved backwards.

Comment

Hmm.
              Original question WAS about PC DMIS re-writing code, and doing it persistently even after you correct it.
              Just wanted to add that it also messes with Datum Reference Frames and locations of features. I can measure a feature automatically. Set Origin to the feature. Then measure the feature again and it is off by 3mm. When programs come back from 4.2 they have an internal bug attached and will never perform correctly. I know this because I have ONE program whose backup file was also converted and I must deal with it. It is a mess. I will probably opt to do a complete rewrite in this case.
              Bill Jarrells

Comment

I was referring to inserting report comments by pressing "enter" while in report mode.

I like the fact that I can insert comments, change nominals, change tolerances and various other things from report mode. I like that it is a sort of "what you see is what you get" editing tool.

About PCD changing things unexpectedly, well yea, that sucks!
                But I have found that the majority of these occurances are operator perpetrated.
                To the devil with those perpetrating operators! Hang them by their phalanges!
                Lately, it occurs to me

Comment

Originally posted by John Riggins View Post
                  I was referring to inserting report comments by pressing "enter" while in report mode.
                  Ah, I got you. I don't mind being able to edit from report mode but comments don't show up until you add the comment text. My problem is my monkeys expect a bannana every time they hit the enter key in report mode. They don't see any comments so they are oblivious. When I go into command mode then my little prize is there for me, hundreds of comments that need to be deleted. If i didn't have operators I am sure it would be non issue.

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
                    Ah, I got you. I don't mind being able to edit from report mode but comments don't show up until you add the comment text. My problem is my monkeys expect a bannana every time they hit the enter key in report mode. They don't see any comments so they are oblivious. When I go into command mode then my little prize is there for me, hundreds of comments that need to be deleted. If i didn't have operators I am sure it would be non issue.
                    You need to increase the negative feedback on the <enter> button... Maybe electro-therapy... Maybe remove the <enter> key from the keyboard...
                    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Well, I don't 'think' these are operator induced errors. I called up an earlier revision of the program and I have major issues with it too. It runs and I suppose the results can be trusted. However, as soon as I modify something the alignment does things it should not be able to do. For example I increased the number of hits on a cylinder. This cylinder is used for clocking purposes along with another cylinder. I set my alignment - well here is the code:

-JKL- =ALIGNMENT/START,RECALL:-J-, LIST= YES
                      ALIGNMENT/LEVEL,ZPLUS,-J-
                      ALIGNMENT/TRANS,ZAXIS,-J-
                      ALIGNMENT/ROTATE,XPLUS,TO,-KL-,ABOUT,ZPLUS
                      ALIGNMENT/TRANS,XAXIS,-KL- CTR
                      ALIGNMENT/TRANS,YAXIS,-KL- CTR
                      ALIGNMENT/END
                      MOVE/POINT,NORMAL,-47.485,16.033,3.454
                      J1 HOLE =FEAT/CIRCLE,POLR,IN,LEAST_SQR
                      THEO/50,161,-5,0,0,1,5.25
                      ACTL/76.866,-139.225,-5.173,0,0,1,5.37
                      MEAS/CIRCLE,4,WORKPLANE
                      HIT/BASIC,NORMAL,-45.722,14.163,-5,-0.5918567,0.8060432,0,-55.541,-50.377,-5.177,USE THEO = YES
                      HIT/BASIC,NORMAL,-45.16,17.833,-5,-0.8060432,-0.5918567,0,-58.378,-47.51,-5.174,USE THEO = YES
                      HIT/BASIC,NORMAL,-48.83,18.395,-5,0.5918567,-0.8060432,0,-60.878,-50.356,-5.174,USE THEO = YES
                      HIT/BASIC,NORMAL,-49.392,14.725,-5,0.8060432,0.5918567,0,-58.402,-52.89,-5.165,USE THEO = YES
                      ENDMEAS/
                      MOVE/POINT,NORMAL,-47.401,15.977,-0.481

Please note that I auto measured a Circle at this exact point ang got the same results. Please note the location of the Nominal and the Actual of the J1 Hole. I did an automeasure of the same hole defined the same way / RAD =50, ANGLE =161. CMM measures the 5.25mm hole just fine. However, the Actual shows up as RAD = 76 and some Change while the angle is -139 and some change. Nowhere close.
                      Bill Jarrells

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                        You need to increase the negative feedback on the <enter> button... Maybe electro-therapy... Maybe remove the <enter> key from the keyboard...
                        I'm thinking an pnuematic ram at crotch level activated by the enter key. It'll take about 30 times before they start associating it.

Comment

No, you guys have it all wrong.

Deport them and the changing whatis'!!!
                          sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Whatever you do, dont change it to an <exit> key.... everyone will think they get to leave.
                            Lately, it occurs to me

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                              Well, I don't 'think' these are operator induced errors. I called up an earlier revision of the program and I have major issues with it too. It runs and I suppose the results can be trusted. However, as soon as I modify something the alignment does things it should not be able to do. For example I increased the number of hits on a cylinder. This cylinder is used for clocking purposes along with another cylinder. I set my alignment - well here is the code:

-JKL- =ALIGNMENT/START,RECALL:-J-, LIST= YES
                              ALIGNMENT/LEVEL,ZPLUS,-J-
                              ALIGNMENT/TRANS,ZAXIS,-J-
                              ALIGNMENT/ROTATE,XPLUS,TO,-KL-,ABOUT,ZPLUS
                              ALIGNMENT/TRANS,XAXIS,-KL- CTR
                              ALIGNMENT/TRANS,YAXIS,-KL- CTR
                              ALIGNMENT/END
                              MOVE/POINT,NORMAL,-47.485,16.033,3.454
                              J1 HOLE =FEAT/CIRCLE,POLR,IN,LEAST_SQR
                              THEO/50,161,-5,0,0,1,5.25
                              ACTL/76.866,-139.225,-5.173,0,0,1,5.37
                              MEAS/CIRCLE,4,WORKPLANE
                              HIT/BASIC,NORMAL,-45.722,14.163,-5,-0.5918567,0.8060432,0,-55.541,-50.377,-5.177,USE THEO = YES
                              HIT/BASIC,NORMAL,-45.16,17.833,-5,-0.8060432,-0.5918567,0,-58.378,-47.51,-5.174,USE THEO = YES
                              HIT/BASIC,NORMAL,-48.83,18.395,-5,0.5918567,-0.8060432,0,-60.878,-50.356,-5.174,USE THEO = YES
                              HIT/BASIC,NORMAL,-49.392,14.725,-5,0.8060432,0.5918567,0,-58.402,-52.89,-5.165,USE THEO = YES
                              ENDMEAS/
                              MOVE/POINT,NORMAL,-47.401,15.977,-0.481

Please note that I auto measured a Circle at this exact point ang got the same results. Please note the location of the Nominal and the Actual of the J1 Hole. I did an automeasure of the same hole defined the same way / RAD =50, ANGLE =161. CMM measures the 5.25mm hole just fine. However, the Actual shows up as RAD = 76 and some Change while the angle is -139 and some change. Nowhere close.
                              Is this the only thing you see changing? I notice that you are doing the auto-circle in polar, I have noticed some erratic behavior when reporting polar TP's in 4.2. Perhaps they are related? I am sure the HEXAGON will fix soon.
                              sigpic

James Mannes

Comment