Angles from Cones

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Angles from Cones

    Got a chamfer that I use auto cones for. Need an angle callout. Tried a few things but not working. Any ideas?
    I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

    Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
    PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
    PH10MQ/SP600M


    sigpic

  • #2
    Location A axis is included angle. What angle do you need?
    <internet bumper sticker goes here>

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks, never used cones much. Didn't realize it was that easy. LOL
      I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

      Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
      PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
      PH10MQ/SP600M


      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Doing a Location on the cone doesn't show me the angle of the chamfer.
        I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

        Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
        PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
        PH10MQ/SP600M


        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Be warned that the A gives the angle between the sides of a cone (included angle as Craig stated). Most of the drawings here call out the angle as the angle between the centerline of the cone and the side of the cone (1/2 the included angle).

          If you need to report that, use a variable and generic feature.

          Comment


          • #6
            Location, A does not report? What does it report as? I do measured cones but I'd think that it should be the same for an auto cone.
            <internet bumper sticker goes here>

            Comment


            • #7
              Looks like it the angle of the two sides. Just used a variable to dimension 1/2 of it. Thanks.
              I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

              Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
              PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
              PH10MQ/SP600M


              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                If you need to report that, use a variable and generic feature.
                You don't need to create a generic feature.

                Use a variable (use a number AND letter in the name) to get your 1/2 angle, then use keyed in tolerance. Open the keyed in tolerance, enter your nominal and toleranced, then click OK. Change the measured number to what your assigned variable name is. Ctrl+E then unmark it. It will show up in your printout.

                You can use this method for anything that normal tolerancing will not work on.

                Duane
                Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
                Contura Calypso 5.4

                Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dwade View Post
                  You don't need to create a generic feature.

                  Use a variable (use a number AND letter in the name) to get your 1/2 angle, then use keyed in tolerance. Open the keyed in tolerance, enter your nominal and toleranced, then click OK. Change the measured number to what your assigned variable name is. Ctrl+E then unmark it. It will show up in your printout.

                  You can use this method for anything that normal tolerancing will not work on.

                  Duane
                  I've never done that. Can you elaborate on how to create a "keyed in tolerance"?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Goodluck,

                    In 3.2063, it looks like a keyboard key in the toolbar. (Not scroll lock though). I use it when I have dimensions that need to be checked on a different piece of measuring equipment (optical comparator, profilometer, etc.), then I don't need to write all my non-CMM measurements down. They show up on the report. We often use the CMM and the report for 1st piece inspection.

                    John

                    P.S. I use the generic feature for cones, it is a personal preference. You may want to stay away from KEYED IN, as it is vaguley related to SCROLL LOCK.
                    When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Great now my eye just started twitching and all the voices started chanting "scroll lock". Thanks John.
                      sigpicYou're just jealous the voices talk to me.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                        I've never done that. Can you elaborate on how to create a "keyed in tolerance"?
                        I'm running V3.7MR3 too so it should be easy.

                        INSERT > DIMENSION > Keyin (bottom of list)

                        With the dialog box open, enter your nominal and tolerances then click on "Create".

                        Change the "MEAS" to your variable name and then CTRL+E, then unmark it. If you leave it marked, it will come up as a prompt when you run the program.

                        HTH

                        Duane
                        Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
                        Contura Calypso 5.4

                        Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dwade View Post
                          I'm running V3.7MR3 too so it should be easy.

                          INSERT > DIMENSION > Keyin (bottom of list)

                          With the dialog box open, enter your nominal and tolerances then click on "Create".

                          Change the "MEAS" to your variable name and then CTRL+E, then unmark it. If you leave it marked, it will come up as a prompt when you run the program.

                          HTH

                          Duane
                          Thanks Duane, I'll give it a try.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Just make sure your variable name has at least one letter in it or the DEMON will make it a whole number.
                            Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
                            Contura Calypso 5.4

                            Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You can cut out the variable step by using (FEATURENAME.A)/2 in the MEAS.
                              sigpicYou're just jealous the voices talk to me.

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • GEllsworth
                                Dimensioning the angle of a cone
                                by GEllsworth
                                Using 4.2 CAD ++ and I know I figured this out in the past, but for some reason I can not get it to give me the correct angle of the cone. The drawing...
                                03-19-2009, 06:44 PM
                              • Londonjr
                                Inclusive angle
                                by Londonjr
                                How would I determine an inclusive angle? I am measuring a cone with a very minimal plane at the top of the part. (Maybe .002 land) 100 deg +/- 1 deg...
                                03-23-2016, 11:37 AM
                              • Scott D. Haselden
                                Reporting cone angles
                                by Scott D. Haselden
                                I searched the forum and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. We are running 2019, and it is still new to us. I need to report a cone half angle....
                                08-15-2019, 12:34 PM
                              • mdobb829
                                Cone Angle
                                by mdobb829
                                When you report a cone angle is gives you the included angle. Can you make it report the angle of the taper, or as some call it, the per side angle?
                                07-01-2008, 11:17 PM
                              • Duke_26
                                Cone Angle /2 ???
                                by Duke_26
                                I am measuring a cone using the autocone feature on a shaft ( 3 levels, 10 hits each level ) and would like to know how I can report the angle of the...
                                02-01-2012, 08:10 PM
                              Working...
                              X