Hello Everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Everyone!

I didn't mean to break up the important post that are here right now, but I have to say hi to everyone sometime. Well, I have been elected to learn how to program and run our new B&S ( One) CMM. It is utilizing DMIS 4.1. Tommorrow will be my first crack at the beast. I have never run one before, but I have been inspecting components for over 15 years. I do use CadKey and KeyCreator cad software quite a bit also, so I figure with the inspection backround and the using of cad, I should be able to maybe learn to check a simple part fairly soon. I have not been to any classes. All I have is the manual for the machine at this time. My company for some reason does not feel it's neccessary to have personal training on the CMM. They just think, baddabing, baddabung, and your ready for measuring very complex components in no time. I have been told that if I get things moving quite smartly, I may be in line to be issued a popeil pocket fisherman for my outstanding progression.Well, I do feel very different about their theories. I do beleive a weeks worth of hands on support would get me some sort of a jump start.
    Oh well, I'll get through it. I have read quite a bit of the FAQ's already here on the forum, as they have given me some great insight on what I am up against.
    It appears from the posts I have read, there is alot support from you people to help us newbies. I very much will appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you again in advance for your help in the future.
    I don't feel tardy!sigpic
    B&S "One" V4.2
    Discovery D-12 V4.2

Welcome.

Go HERE

This should help you bit. Do you have a "Demo Block"? A demo block is an aluminum block that has geometric features cut into it. If you do, you should be able to do the labs that you will see in the zipped file I linked for you. As far as this board goes, ask questions whenever you feel like it. Someone will have the answer to problem.
    Just curious, your CMM was bought used? If bought new, the machine comes with a week of training. Also what flavor of PC-DMIS you are running makes a difference to how a question gets answered so include that(the differences are PC-DMIS PRO, PC-DMIS CAD, and PC-DMIS CAD++), in your USER PROFILE and other machine specific info. And another thing, if you have just bought this machine new, do yourself a favor and move up to 4.2. It is much better than 4.1 and will give you less problems. Trust me I have been testing all the 4+ stuff as an unofficial beta tester since the 4.0 platform was started.
    Last edited by JamesMannes; 06-10-2007, 09:14 PM.
    sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

James, I will have to look at the software a little closer ( as far actual type ). This is a new machine. The co. spent 5000.00 on a temp. control room to house it. Yes, we are due a weeks class for free. Try to get then to pay for a hotel room and eats for a week and they look at you like you have 3 heads. Kind of stupid on a facilities standpoint. If it were my money, I would make sure the selected individual / 's were taken care of. But, that's me. As far the qualification block goes, we have the injection molded plastic one , that has contours, cones and such. For 100,000.00, I would think B&S would have distributed something more substantial. Anyway, I will get into the machine tommorrow. I appreciate all the welcome.
      Cheers and Have a Nice Evening.
      Patrick
      I don't feel tardy!sigpic
      B&S "One" V4.2
      Discovery D-12 V4.2

Comment

That one I call the HEXAGON block. The labs can be done with that one also(in fact they might have used it for the labs, can't remember).
        sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Lest you get the impression that James is the only one of us who is friendly...

Welcome.

Press hard for them to get you to training. It really does help. I think you will discover that PC-DMIS is very powerful software which can give you a very powerful headache. Good luck and ask us questions as needed.

Comment

Welcome!

As stated, you need the training. When asking questions, please provide as much information as possible. It is often especially helpful if you post actual code, sketches, or portions of drawings. It also often helps to mention alcohol in your posts. LOL. (Laughing Out Loud)
            sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Welcome.. If you can't get training put a bottle of gin in your desk. You may need it.
              sigpic
              if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

Training.....sigh.

Patrick,

That, unfortnately, is a very typical attitude of management at many companies.

You have a great backround to start, but using Pc-dmis on a CMM is nothing like anything else, oh ya, its not badaboom badabing either.....

The classes will be a start, but remember, its a generic basic training program that will get you started, but your management thinks you will come back a productive rocket scientist !

It really depends what you will be measuring there, as to how long the learning curve will be. If plastics or sheetmetal, its very long, if machined components, much shorter. Will you be using cad files to program ?

Anyway, we only do onsite training, which is 100% more effective then generic classroom training. With the attitude your management has already about spending money on your training, I doubt they would ever pay for my services... Good Luck on your adventure.

I don't get it ? How can you be willing to spend $100K on a cmm, but not want to spend $3-5K to have someone run it properly ???

I just don't understand...
                Jim Jewell

Comment

Originally posted by T Miller View Post
                  Welcome.. If you can't get training put a bottle of gin in your desk. You may need it.

Now - that pic realy is funny Miller........
                  RFS Means Really Fussy Stuff

When all you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail....
                  sigpic

Comment

Patrick,
                    I don't want to be redundant, by repeating what you already read, so I won't.
                    Everything stated above is sound advice, coming from well qualified individuals. On thing that hasn't been mentioned is saving and backing up. Save often, and have a backup copy of all your programs. Try to maintain a sense of humor along with the learning. We will help you as much as we can.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of PC-DMIS.

John
                    Last edited by John Kingston; 06-11-2007, 11:19 PM.
                    When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jjewell View Post
                      Patrick,

That, unfortnately, is a very typical attitude of management at many companies.

You have a great backround to start, but using Pc-dmis on a CMM is nothing like anything else, oh ya, its not badaboom badabing either.....

Yeah, it's more like bada-BOOOOOM, bada-CRASH, bada-OHSHITCRAP****!

Yeah, ya can get a lot of help on this (and the other) site, unless you are IT, then we all turn a deaf ear or heap abuse. Just ask the IT who come here, they'll tell ya!

Yep, lots of help here, BUT, some hands-on-training at the basics is pretty much required. It's kind of hard to tell someone with internet text that they have to ......... whatever. Something can be done in 2 seconds with someone at your side but take 3 hours trying to describe it in text via a message board. The basic class should cover alignments and taking points. Once you get that in hand, the rest just sort of drops into place (yeah, RIGHT!). But, the basics you must have. You must walk before you can run.
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by AndersI
                      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Run away. Run for your life. Get out now before it's too late. You still have a chance, we're doomed but you have nothing but potential it is too late for us. Get out now and don't look back.
                        <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

More advice:

GO SLOW! Ones are quite zippy and if you are going too fast on top of your inexperience, well, broken stuff will definately be in your future.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Comment

Originally posted by T Miller View Post
                            I prefer the rubber mallet.

Oh, and welcome.
                            sigpicYou're just jealous the voices talk to me.

Comment

Patrick,
                              I can concur with everthing said here. I went to the class and learned the basics. I ask question after question and these guys help alot. I think I have learned more by reading what has been posted and asking questions than trying to figure it out myself. Remember No question is a dumb question here. I should know I have asked some stupid ones.
                              B. Jacobs
                              B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment