New Module not calibrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Module not calibrating

Like the title says, I have a Renishaw head and use the sm25-1 & sm25-2 for modules. So the sm25-1 is use to calibrate the master and one of the probes, then the sm25-2 is used for the rest like 4 or so, the other day the sm25-1 broke the spring tension was gone in one direction and would not even run though the program to calibrate, that being said I just received the "new" refurbished one today the I went to calibrate the master and lo and behold its out on standard deviation at .0029 went to check the probe that is used for that module as well and that's out, so I'm like lets see if the sm25-2 is out also and it is NOT all the probes on that module are good, am I missing something, are the refurbished modules no good....?

Is your Program in MM's?
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

• Mike Rivard
      Mike Rivard commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope its in inches and I believe the s/d that's set for the program is .00039
      Last edited by Mike Rivard; 07-25-2022, 09:17 AM.

We have recently had to return 2 new sm25-1 units as they had liquid inside and dirt on the two mirrors. Would recommend checking your unit for same problem, we used a microscope with good lightingto identify our problem.

Comment

Am I wrong to think that the master probe should never be out Isnt the master always zero and the other probes need to follow or can you get s/d on a master probe

Comment

• JacobCheverie
        JacobCheverie commented
        Editing a comment
        Depending on your resolution, you shouldn't receive std. dev. of 0 on the master probe. It should be smaller than on your other probes assuming you only use it for calibration.

Those Renishaws are super sensitive, but your master should be 0.0000 - 0.0002 no more, I would double check everything is tight and properly attached on the knuckle correctly, wipe the ball and probe and try getting a better number with that master, before moving on or calling that new module bad.
      (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)

Comment

• Mike Rivard
        Mike Rivard commented
        Editing a comment
        I have done all the above and still out at .002 but this is a refurbish so... we have had problems in the past with them

What's the probe size your using for master? Double check your build and double check the probe diameter size and double check your Calibration ball, when you exhausted all these, get on the horn with Renishaw and ask them WTF

Comment

• Mike Rivard
        Mike Rivard commented
        Editing a comment
        And yes the probe size and qual. are the right dia. and the location is good!!

this is what I getScreenshot 2022-07-25 112704.png

Comment

• KIRBSTER269
        KIRBSTER269 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well it's time to put on your Azz chewing hat, and give Renishaw a call.

Azz chewing hat..I need one of those in my wardrobe

Comment

Originally posted by DAN_M View Post
        Azz chewing hat..I need one of those in my wardrobe
        I thought you had one for each day of the week

Comment

From what you see does this look like the module be the problem??

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rivard View Post
            From what you see does this look like the module be the problem??
            The one last thing I would do is Reboot everything, Re-home the machine, put a brand new probe on that module, and try calibration one more time, after that, then I would rule that the module was a problem, since it was all good before, and the only thing different was the module.

Comment

To add, You said you had a SM25-2 what if you use that as a Master, are you getting bad results for that to?

Comment

• Mike Rivard
                Mike Rivard commented
                Editing a comment
                I have not yet

Oh one more thing, your little glass pane on the top, Is it nice and clean? no fingerprints or anything obstructing it, is there?

Comment

• Mike Rivard
                Mike Rivard commented
                Editing a comment
                It is clean

Tech asked if I used the yes sphere has moved, which I say yes it has moved, then he asked if i check a box that says reset theo at start of calibration not sure if that's the tip reset tab?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rivard View Post
                Tech asked if I used the yes sphere has moved, which I say yes it has moved, then he asked if i check a box that says reset theo at start of calibration not sure if that's the tip reset tab?
                When putting a new tip on, you should check Reset to Theo, then after that, uncheck it for further calibration, I would do this for anything new or broken tips, but would only calibrate the A0B0 tip first and getting good results before any other angle is added. I assumed you did this, my bad for not mentioning this, but if you do get a good result, then keep it checked to do further angles and calibration.

Comment