Manual key in surface finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual key in surface finish

so we have to check surface finish on all our product. we typically put this on the report using the manual key-in dimension. the issue im having is when i set the nominal to 0 and the plus tolerance to 250Ra the color scale still shows red even though its passing. what can i do so this does not turn red? I tried putting 125 nominal with a +/-125 but this messes with our SPC data. any help is much appreciated

surface finish.jpg
    Attached Files

Originally posted by CTD2003 View Post
    so we have to check surface finish on all our product. we typically put this on the report using the manual key-in dimension. the issue im having is when i set the nominal to 0 and the plus tolerance to 250Ra the color scale still shows red even though its passing. what can i do so this does not turn red? I tried putting 125 nominal with a +/-125 but this messes with our SPC data. any help is much appreciated

surface finish.jpg
    that is an odd glitch that you're seeing on the PC DMIS inspection report.

does the feature show up "bad" whent he data makes its way to your spc software? the measured value itself is well within tolerance and PC DMIS says the OUTTOL is "0"

Comment

• CTD2003
      CTD2003 commented
      Editing a comment
      no the data shows good but if i change my nominal in the SPC software then is skews our CPK's

Originally posted by CTD2003 View Post

surface finish.jpg
    Just tested this out on 2021.1 and I am getting the same thing.

214.7483 seems to be the limit allowed for a + tolerance.

Comment

Originally posted by bfire85 View Post

Something to check out Don Ruggieri neil.challinor

Comment

I don't know how hard it would be to get used to, but you could use .250 as your tolerance and have a comment telling the operator to input the Ra reading in thousands, .020 in your example.
        PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Schrocknroll View Post
          I don't know how hard it would be to get used to, but you could use .250 as your tolerance and have a comment telling the operator to input the Ra reading in thousands, .020 in your example.
          im sure that would get messed up by someone and we would have to rerun parts on the CMM. thanks for the idea though, i probably wouldn't have thought of that.

Comment

LOL, I thought I had a workaround for you. I tried to turn off the reporting of the Key-in dimension, put the measured value into a generic feature, and then report the feature with a location dimension:

DIM DIM1A= KEYED IN DIMENSION OUTPUT=NONE
            AX NOMINAL +TOL -TOL MEAS MAX MIN DEV OUTTOL
            M 0.0000 250.0000 0.0000 20.0000 0.0000 0.0000 20.0000 0.0000 >

ROUGHNESS =GENERIC/CIRCLE,DEPENDENT,CARTESIAN,OUT,$
            NOM/XYZ,<-13.5,0,0>,$
            MEAS/XYZ,<-13.5,0,0>,$
            NOM/IJK,<0,0,1>,$
            MEAS/IJK,<0,0,1>,$
            RADIUS/0,DIM1A.MEAS

DIM DIM1= LOCATION OF CIRCLE ROUGHNESS UNITS=IN ,$
            GRAPH=OFF TEXT=OFF MULT=10.00 OUTPUT=BOTH HALF ANGLE=NO
            AX NOMINAL +TOL -TOL MEAS MAX MIN DEV OUTTOL
            R 0.0000 250.0000 0.0000 20.0000 0.0000 0.0000 20.0000 0.0000 >
            END OF DIMENSION DIM1

But, that was a fail. This looks even worse:

roughness fail.png

Comment

• JesseB413
              JesseB413 commented
              Editing a comment
              I tried the same exact thing lol. Even tried putting the nominal at 250 with all negative tolerance. No luck!

Originally posted by bfire85 View Post

I was curious where that number came from. Looks like that has something to do with the limit of a 32bit floating point variable.

32-bit floating point limit.png

Comment

• Henniger123
              Henniger123 commented
              Editing a comment
              wasn't version 2021.1 in 64 bit? ^^

This isn't the most elegant solution, but you can right click on that dimension in the report window, select Edit Object, and un-select the 'Graphic' column. Then it will just omit the graph for that feature.

roughness remove graph.png

However, you would have to remember to do that for every program. A bit of a pain. If you use a custom report template there may be some edits that can be made to actually fix the issue.

Comment