Adding CAD model to existing program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding CAD model to existing program

How can I add a CAD model to an existing program that was written without CAD? I realize that I'll have to transform/translate the model to get close to where the manual and DCC hits are shown in the program. So maybe a better question would be, how can I line up the model with the existing manual/DCC hits?

Import the model, trnslate/rotate it to get it into positon

Once its visually in place...unless the nominals were PERFECTLY programmed, you'll have to step through the program & F9 into things and make sure it looks right and correct as you go.

Comment

Normally if you import a CAD model and you translate/transform it to match your current alignment / zero point, by performing a cad=part you should be set to go. I suggest you create a copy of the original program before doing a cad=part because it cannot be undone later...

Comment

Point Nominal Deviation might be good for this application to determine that points are on the model surface.

EDIT>GRAPHIC DISPLAY WINDOW>P.N.D.

Comment

So, either way, you've got to transform/translate the CAD model to get it sort of close to the hits for the program, right?

Comment

Originally posted by constadin View Post
            Normally if you import a CAD model and you translate/transform it to match your current alignment / zero point, by performing a cad=part you should be set to go. I suggest you create a copy of the original program before doing a cad=part because it cannot be undone later...
            Yeah, the CAD = part didn't work at all for me. I translated the model close the the program hits and then did CAD = part and it moved the program hits in space. Not sure what happened.

Comment

Put your cursor in your program after your final alignment and then grab a few points on the model where that alignment should be (one point for each axis). That will tell you exactly how much you need to translate the model.

Comment

IF you have access to CAD software. Add a coordinate ( 0.0.0) that matches the proper orientation of the CAD. Then it will import correctly. I would then redo the manual alignment and answer NO. These tasks are so much easier in CAD then inside DMIS. It may not be an option for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Schlag View Post
                  IF you have access to CAD software. Add a coordinate ( 0.0.0) that matches the proper orientation of the CAD. Then it will import correctly. I would then redo the manual alignment and answer NO. These tasks are so much easier in CAD then inside DMIS. It may not be an option for you.
                  Yeah, that's a bummer because we don't have access to the CAD software itself. I'll have to deal with the design people to get this done.

Comment

• Schlag
                    Schlag commented
                    Editing a comment
                    All the options to do this are in DMIS. Its just an easier route with other options ( that you dont have so its NOT an option. )

For CAD=PART to work you have to put your cursor after an alignment that is exactly the same as the CAD model without an alignment. Then it will adjust the manual alignment features' theoretical values to match.
                  PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment